Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2013/14 Phantom Bindings PreOrder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 am 

I prefer Voile Yin-Yang hooks to K clips. I tested the differences in across the board stiffness (the ability to keep the board halvers from hinging at the seam) and the tight Voile hooks made for a stiffer connection between the board halves. But, to get good performance out of the Voile hooks, they have to be tight, and some manufacturers do not seem to have the precision to get them tight. For examples of tight Voile hooks on factory splits, check out a Venture from 12/13 or 13/14 or Never Summer. Voile hooks also make the transition with Phantoms a little easier as one does not have to line up the board halves at all, just slide the halves together with a little force until the Voile hooks seat.
K-clips do work with Phantoms as well, but Phantom recommends Voile hooks for best performance. And, Voile hooks are lighter as well. Note that Voile has improved their tip and tail clips (new molds, beefier) over the last two seasons also, and they also work great.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:17 am 

good mornig.... this is not a secret :wink: K Clips hold the board halfs in the X Position - in the wrong ore right - closed is closed. the volie had some littel playground in the x achse... but they are stiffy in the z achse.... you know my friend....

bURTON

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:31 pm 

thanks for the info Barrows, good stuff. Was thinking I was adding to thread drift but the fact that Phantoms are recommended to be used with recent model hooks is helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 am 

so excited to finally get these mounted. Thanks Keffler!

I'm wanting to switch back to hooks really bad. I've always hated K-clips. Giant pieces of shit in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
I'm wanting to switch back to hooks really bad. I've always hated K-clips. Giant pieces of shit in my opinion.

Rad binders!!! You'll be the steez king at the Thanks Giving day skimosexual meet :wink:
I'm not a fan of the K-clips either brother, but the chimera clip holes are so well placed that going to voile hooks is really sloppy - more a testament to Al's workmanship than an indictment of voile, but I ended up going back to the K-s on the Gnarp.

Post subject: Re: 2013/14 Phantom Bindings - arrived
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 am 

My new 2014 Phantom arrived, first THX to John for this great work, tecnical and workmann ******

i mounted this bindings on a new Generation of Wildschnee Snowboards withe direkt mounted Dynafit toe pices

the total wight board binding is 4200 g - it is light and gread to hould this Setup in my Hand.

i hope to touring today and make the first tour in combination with my Modifikation scarpa F1.

bURTON

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:47 pm 

Has anyone experienced issues with the Phantom interface becoming iced up at the transition? Seems like this could be an issue with the tight fit of the phantom. Can anyone speak to this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:19 pm 

Earnyourturn wrote:
Has anyone experienced issues with the Phantom interface becoming iced up at the transition? Seems like this could be an issue with the tight fit of the phantom. Can anyone speak to this?

Because the Phantom interface provides a very tight connection between the board halves, and relies on close tolerances to do this, sometimes ice removal is necessary, especially on the inside edge of the board. In my experience of using Phantoms all of last season, and all of this season, this has never been a problem for me. On those days when the temperatures are right, there is some icing of the board edge, and a little ice removal may be necessary, this usually takes about ten additional seconds or so. I find those riders using the Karakoram interface have exactly the same experience, as the Karakoram interface also relies on close tolerances and higher precision than the Voile pucks: those days when I have to remove some ice, I find my partners on Karakoram are doing exactly the same thing, and it is no big deal: just remove any ice from the inside edge of the board halves before putting things together. Perhaps this adds ten seconds to the transition when conditions are such that icing occurs at all, it is no big deal and totally worth it for the higher performance.
I carry one of those little Voile scrapers in my pocket for easy access when needed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm 

The partners that I have had with Karakoram that had to de-ice usually took more than ten seconds. But they did not have a tool for the job so it may have been a different process for them than it is for you with a scraper. Another question - do any of you have experience split-skiing with the phantom interface? From the pictures I'm seeing it seems as though the interface would dig into the snow when executing a split-ski turn. Is this an issue?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 pm 

Earnyourturn wrote:
The partners that I have had with Karakoram that had to de-ice usually took more than ten seconds. But they did not have a tool for the job so it may have been a different process for them than it is for you with a scraper. Another question - do any of you have experience split-skiing with the phantom interface? From the pictures I'm seeing it seems as though the interface would dig into the snow when executing a split-ski turn. Is this an issue?

there are no issues with split skiing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

I have used both the K and phantom setup I can speak for both!

I think if the temp is right and the snow is sticky it will stick to any binding setup requiring at least some level of cleaning.

This is only a hassle when its super cold and the snow is icy and hard. Usually I just take off my skins and clack my skis together and it removes most of the snow, anything left over just sweeps away with hands. With the phantom setup I found that the bindings lock into the board almost easier than the k setup and its movement seems to knock the snow out of the binding in the natural action of mounting the bindings. With either setup I make sure to clean the inside edge of snow so that the board halves clamp together nicely.

I think you may be looking at the tour/ski interface wrong :scratch: when split skiing you are using the dynafit touring bracket and the binding plate is inside of your backpack, thus no anything hanging over the ski width, I actually think they ski very well since it is using a SKI boot. :P