Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:28 pm 

Haha yeah snurfer the website is currently being redesigned and the backcountry tab will cease to exist. "Backcountry" is so broad an area as to be essentially impossible to forecast for, and since most tourers will know what resorts are close to their planned tour, they can just check the forecast there.

In other news the snow was deep in White Pine today. Had solitude all day too. Surprisingly good stability, although we still didn't let that convince us to jump into anything too committing. The snow structure is definitely bad. On a sheltered, shady slope at ~9500 there was about 30 inches total, the upper half being inverted new snow, the lower half weak, medium-size facets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm 

Beautiful day today up in Albion Basin. The weather seemed like it cleared out earlier than forecasted, and our crew was surprisingly able to escape the masses. So much fun to finally tour with longtime forum guys Utah, Mar123, and VT.... (Doug McKay)

We dug on a N-ish aspect around 10k feet, in a very sheltered location with minimal wind effect. There was probably 30-40 cm new snow on top of the old November snow/dirt layer/October snow. ECTN20+. We were able to collapse the weakest layer with a few hits from the shoulder (November facets), but with no propagation. The general consensus was that if we were in an area with more loading and a stiffer slab, we would have seen propagation.

Also, we rode an E aspect around 10+ k feet with no signs of instability on the downhill, although we did get a collapse on the skin back up that same slope. Seemed like the newest snow bonded well to the underlying stout crust/facet combo.

Overall, seems like there's poor structure on the NW through NE, and we'll see a round of avalanches with each loading event.

Take care, y'all! Come on down to Wasatch Touring on thursday! (I'll supply the PBR. :clap: )

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 pm 

UTAH wrote:
Thumbs up for sure.

roger that, good times guys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 pm 

Thanks for all of the great pics and Beta!
Any one want to do an am trip tomorrow in the upper Cottonwoods?

Mike
eight zero one three six nine three six two two

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 pm 

Went up Grizzly for a few quick laps on my new-to-me Jones :) this morning. Snow was quite good

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 pm 

Must of slept through the wind event last night but thought maybe the southern half of the Wasatch got skipped. Not so much the case in the mountains. Dipped our feet in every aspect, N/NE facing not so good, I would rather forget the turns we found on that aspect. E/SE were decent down off the ridge. Winds were nuking, snowstructure on N/NE remains the same, ECTP 24 but wasn't consistent with other ECT I did. Two weak layers, the facets on the ground and facet layer about 8 or so inches above the dirt layer. Only found the facet farm under the dirt layer to be reactive in my pits but my partner digging more E facing found the upper layer more reactive. In the mountains none the less so no complaints here.
Take Care.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 am 

nice shots UTAH looks like you found some good turns...photos 1&2 are siiiiiiiiiiiiiic....wolverineish ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 pm 

Thanks Dave, yeah that's the general local. Got out again today and the winds had switched and picked up, wreaking havoc on everything up high. Went looking far from the resorts for an east facing the winds hadn't got to. Found it with it little luck. Was thinking some Nfacing chutes were looking super good but didn't end up commiting. They looked loaded and while my pit results on a similar loaded feature were non conclusive the snowstructure remained the same. Snowstructer always trumps pit results for more commiting lines.
It was a glorious day.
Fun skinning through numerous rock gardens on the way to the zone.
The Zone.
We skipped fun looking Nfacing chutes for Efacing pow turns.
Hand pits revealed what I have been finding on most true Efacing lines, a stout crust with damp facets underneath and not much of a snowpack. No sign of the dirt layer, found everything from 6 inches on top of rock to 2 ft blower on top of the stout crust. Riding was good.
The three amigos.
Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:44 pm 

Nice, UTAH. I'm surprised that area doesn't get more traffic. Skied a west facing chute today in LCC. Great snow! The upper 1000' of the line was a chalky layer with some new on top that made for creamy turns. A couple rocky sections required side-stepping in the middle, and the apron, despite being fairly open, was very nice pow with minimal wind-effect. Based on my travels the snow survived the wind better than the UAC report might indicate. Visibility was not good, but was better than it looks in the pic. You could see the undulations of the terrain.

Photo by JT

The chute had previously slid, probably yesterday or Friday, and left a good smooth surface for the 2-3 inches of creamy snow that managed to drift in. My guess is that is got loaded, probably from cross-loading from the wind, not loading from the top, and slid on the pre-11/15 storm surface.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:28 pm 

For anybody with some time on their hands, the area northeast of Bryce Canyon got 6 inches of snow water equivalent and 50+ inches of snow the last couple days. I bet there is some good red rock riding for the next day or two.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 am 

Mej- west Facing LCC....homicide? or were you across the street somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 am 

mej wrote:
For anybody with some time on their hands, the area northeast of Bryce Canyon got 6 inches of snow water equivalent and 50+ inches of snow the last couple days. I bet there is some good red rock riding for the next day or two.
Thought about heading down south yesterday, but opted to get my first turns at Brighton. Might head down around Bryce over the Holiday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 am 

mej wrote:

Which range? The Aquarius Plateau? If this info is true then it's likely that all of the Henrys, Abajos and La Sals got an early season whalloping. Snurfer pm me if you head there over the holidays. I'm going to do some snotel research....

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next