Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCal /Central Coast Riders
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm 

HansGLudwig wrote:
RE: Beta in San Gabriels -
The ACH is now closed from Islip to Vincent Gap

Here is beta collected from emails swapped after missions with my crew. . .

Baldy (1/13) - Thin, but with a solid ice layer underneath which keeps you off the rocks... at least. The wind has blown the newer snow around and it was good boarding so long as you followed the lines where the snow collected. But the ice also made the climbing tricky. Crampons are necessary.

Baden Powell (1/12)- It is really nice up there. Cold, dry and sunny. Snow on the ground all the way to the Vincent Gap parking lot. At 8000' up between trees, wonderland - dusting on top of packed powder - board can curve any way you want.

I was there the weekend before last and can testify. 1,800' of protected of pow from 8800' all the way to the road in my favorite couloir (N 34° 22.130' W 117° 46.221').

Kratka Ridge (aka snow crest) (my own visit 1/14 4pm) - Bulletproof freeze/thaw on NW, N, & NE aspects. Ridges/spurs are slippery and thin. Gullies/draws have wind blown dust in places. There is some cohesive packed pow on top of smooth crusts (up to 4'). Classic cross loading so beware of the few 35º+ places and convexities. Boot penetration was clean and up to my knees (when it penetrated). Crampons necessary.
For the The difference between pow and ice was so abrupt, after sliding 40' into a tree well, I dismounted, put back on my crampons and walked back down.
The guy who lives there said it hasn't been above freezing in a few days. Later in the week, when it heats up, the slope should be fun around noon.

If you can get to it (park car at Vincent and ride bike to the gully) Throop peak should be awesome.

Very cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am 

Any of you guys pick up the Baldy pass? It's only $200, is it worth just to have? Thoughts on the pass?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 am 

supermodel159 wrote:
Thoughts on the pass?

YMMV There are better than $200 season pass deals out there. I seem to remember the City of Upland or Claremont subsidizing tickets a while back (perhaps ≈ $70-$80).

You need to weigh a few things and see what bets you are willing to take: season quality, terrain quality, risk/reward/pleasure ratios.

It really depends on the year. We've had two bad years in a row. However, the year before that ('10-'11) had record snow; like +10' of snow on the ground and turns until June. They didn't even open any roads to the San Gabriel high-country, it was so snowy. The sad thing about this year has been the weather between snowstorms. Counting inches from the sky, this is has been a totally average season. However, counting inches on the ground (which melted between storms), this one sucked (add to that a slab-prone snowpack).
The quality of the season is kind of a crap shoot. Consult an almanac then put your nuts on the table to see if it pays out.
I also want to remind you of Mt. Waterman: the best lift-accessible terrain in So Cal. . .when they have snow. They haven't been open in two seasons. They also have ≈ $200 season passes.

Terrain is another thought. Waterman is exclusively north facing (which should be good, in theory) and the lower part has no route down without, at least, a 30º run. Baldy has a variety of aspects & slopes and can act as a staging ground for many a sick mission: Telegraph Peak, Baldy Bowl, The North Face of Baldy. Or better yet, a rad backup plan, should you encounter bad conditions in the backcountry (actually side-country).
Another weird quirk about Baldy is the curse of the base-ding. It doesn’t matter how deep the day is… even at the end of a great day, en route to your car… You’re gonna ding your base. That’s just that mountain. Bring your rockboard. Same goes for Waterman.

Risk/reward. How easy is it for you to get there? I live exactly an hour from Waterman. I know if I leave my house by 2:30, I can get three runs in before they close. If you have to commute — turning one trip into an all-day commitment — you’ll go fewer days and not feel you’ve received your money’s worth.
How much money are you willing to part with, should there be a crappy season? Seventy bucks is much easier to loose than $200. I reckon after two bad seasons, next year’s should be great. (In all fairness, I also thought the same at the beginning of this season, “after last year’s season, this one should be good.”) Boy I was wrong!
Another thing to keep in mind is the transferability of the pass. I don’t know how it is at Baldy but Waterman grandfathers season passes to the next year, should they open 4-or-less weekends a season. For my money, that’s a great insurance policy. The cheaper than $200 season passes are usually not transferrable: e.g. Groupon deals, special giveaways, 6-pack deals.

Assuming you are willing to risk pulling the trigger for multiple days on Baldy, tot up how many days you expect to board Baldy, divide that by $200. If that number is less than a groupon or six-pack, go for the season pass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am 

The Mt High pass is $299 and the Mt Baldy is $200. Terrain (reliant on natural snow) aside, Mt High at least has 80% of the mountain open 80% of the season. Baldy probably has 50% open 50% of the season. In terms of what you get for your money i'd say the Mt High pass is a way better value considering theyre actually spending a fortune to keep the mountain open even when there is not snow. Personally, I wouldnt touch either pass with a 10 ft pole. Just making a point that $200 is way too steep for Baldy. I mean my Kirkwood pass was $300 and that was 100% open 100% of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am 

jetlag wrote:
The Mt High pass is $299 and the Mt Baldy is $200. Terrain (reliant on natural snow) aside, Mt High at least has 80% of the mountain open 80% of the season. Baldy probably has 50% open 50% of the season. In terms of what you get for your money i'd say the Mt High pass is a way better value considering theyre actually spending a fortune to keep the mountain open even when there is not snow. Personally, I wouldnt touch either pass with a 10 ft pole. Just making a point that $200 is way too steep for Baldy. I mean my Kirkwood pass was $300 and that was 100% open 100% of the season.

$300 for Kwood is going to be a thing of the past. I too used to get that pass, which was wonderful, but it was also when I lived in SF. I do not want to imagine the commute from SD to Kirkwood...I assume you flew.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am 

Yeah its a trek for sure but you can at least force yourself to get your money's worth at Wood (4 days). Even the worst seasons (like the current one) have at least 10 powder days. Split the gas between a few peeps and stay at $25/night South Lake motels, it gets pretty reasonable. $200 for Baldy seems more of a donation to me than anything. I tried forcing myself the last 2 years to at least get one day in but I couldnt even do that. Shrubs and rocks poking out mid groomer are a huge turn off for both me and the base of my $500 board. I think the $89 virtual pass is a way better bet, though im not even sure ill be getting that this year either. You can laugh at me when next season turns out to be a big one though. If its a big one, Baldy is amazing and worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 pm 

just moved to Santa Barbara and now it seems im out a partner for eastside sliding...if anyone locally is down for tours (anywhere) this winter, hit me up...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:16 pm 

Hey EB, in SB as well. I'm on the EAstside quite a bit. Let's hook up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 am 

There are a lot of guys on here in the SB/Ventura area. Keep in touch as the snow starts to fall this winter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 pm 

^^good to hear fellas, will be PMing as soon as it gets here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 am 

Keep me in mind as well! I'm down in LA but get up to the Sierras lots. I know a seasoned guide up in Mammoth who is always looking for folks to "skin" with. Let's be in touch when the snow starts to fly!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 pm 

bump for snow karma...its to damn quiet (dry) in Cali right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm 

...too damn quite. If you ask me. :ninja:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next