Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gulmarg, India. Two weeks in February.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 pm 

Gulmarg is a village in India controlled Kashmir, situataed at about 2500m with gondola going from ~2600m to ~3000m and then to almost 4000m (multiply by 3.3 for feet). It's very down south, so the season lasts only from mid January to mid March, during which it receives several meters of snow, mostly pow.

I am going there this February for two weeks. I would like to stretch it to three, but that may be impossible. I haven't booked a ticket to India yet, so dates are still flexible. I want to book it around end of November, unless prices start climbing.
I will be leaving from Europe, most probably Germany.

I am looking for somebody willing to go there with me, as we know you don't go solo in the mountains. Most of my friends either don't have the experience and avalanche awareness required or are plain unable to do it in this time frame, so I am asking here.

In terms of experience, I have been snowboarding for 10 seasons, splitboarding for 2, this would be the third. I consider myself highly experienced snowboarder. I have gone through numerous avalanche courses, know my way with my beacon and have an ABS pack. I am hardbooter, if this matters to you, I personally don't care what you ride. I am OK going with skiers too.

I am looking for somebody that is comfortable with high altitude backcountry terrain and is fit. I really plan to ride every possible minute.

I want to be as cheap as possible. The day ticket for the Gondola is ~$30, which is fine, but most of the hotels are getting more and more expensive, as the place explodes in popularity and are now $100-150-200 per night for double room, which I find crazy for India. I am looking at the other options now, although there is not much info online.

Post subject: Re: Gulmarg, Indina. Two weeks in February.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hey Fella
Just thought I would mention that you shouldn't bother buying a day ticket for the mountain, buy an individual ticket which is about 150 rupees which is about £2/$3. When I was there, the most gondola rides I took in a day was 3 so £6/$9. If interested I could give you an email for a guy in Srinagar who could sort your accomadation and all your transport to/from Gulmarg and he is reliable. We used him in 2010. Local guides are cheap and worth hiring to get lay of the terrain. Gondola can go days without operating during and after a storm until ski patrol get there explosives from the army so patience is needed.
It is an amazing place and I would go if I hadn't already booked for Japan
PM me if you want that guys email
Cheers
Martin

Ride Timeless 164 DIY Split

Post subject: Re: Gulmarg, India. Two weeks in February.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 pm 

Come on, people, zero interest? I contacted the people from https://www.facebook.com/KASportive and I am waiting for a quote from them.
It looks like my dates would be something like 9-10.02 to 22-23.02. I have another splitboarder onboard, who is pretty sure he is coming and one another, who is 80%.

Thanks Martin, I sent a message to your guy as well, and I am waiting for his response.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:06 pm 

Have you spoken to FreeSki Himalaya too? They should be able to quote for accomadation/transport etc. They have a page on FB.
http://www.freeskihimalaya.com/

Martin :D

Ride Timeless 164 DIY Split

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm 

As much as I would like to say that I have the strong desire to support the local economy and that's why I am trying to do it via (cheap) local people, the truth is I am mostly cheap myself and can not afford the western oriented services right now...

I have sent a general enquiry to FreeSki Himalaya, but their offer is for 7 ski days for ~£1000, which really covers pretty much everything, apart from planes to India/Srinagar, but I have the bold plan to do the entire 14 days trip, planes included, for about £1100-1200 :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm 

I can't believe the zero interest!

I have got an offer for the accommodation for $35 in a cottage with breakfast, running water and stove and 500m from the gondola. $25 for a bit further from the gondola.

Then you have the $6-$9 per day for the gondola and a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket and this is for a place receiving 30+ft of snow per year, often 3ft at a time? Nobody?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:32 am 

Just go and forget about raising a partner as you will meet people on the ground. Your timing coincides with peak season AND the Winter Games at Sochi. Gulmarg will be awash with Russians and you'll be lucky to find a bed. In '12 everything was sold out in February and visitors had to stay in Tangmarg and Srinagar. Never seen that before.

In addition to the crush of tourists there is a political battle going on right now that could greatly impact your visit. No, not Pakistan, but the Pollution Control Board. They are shutting down hotels for violations that have been ongoing but are now an "issue". As there are millions to be made in summer and much less in winter some of the hotels are electing to renovate in winter, aka, rooms closed down. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2013/12/hotel-closures-hit-kashmir-tourism-2013124543668450.html

You'd be better off starting your trip the last week of February, or the first week of March. There is a huge base, 2 or 3 storms in March, and all the crowds are gone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:41 pm 

Sochi is 3000km away and there even wasn't a resort there couple of years ago, so I don't see how it can have any effect on Gulmarg...
I am aware about the sewage situation, but my accommodation is fine.

So, anybody going?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:09 am 

moridinbg wrote:
Sochi is 3000km away and there even wasn't a resort there couple of years ago, so I don't see how it can have any effect on Gulmarg...
It's called displacement. The costs of staying at Sochi, and the friction between Russians -vs- well, all of the Caucasus states, is causing more Russians to go overseas this winter than is usual. The largest demographic at Gulmarg are the Russians, and there will be a bump this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm 

Touching down in Gulmarg some time between the 10th and 12th of Feb, weather dependent. Get in touch.