Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sorry, first post and a question. Used Prior price.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:48 am 

So this board is literally like 3 blocks from my house and I am just waiting for the guy to email me back about seeing it. This will be my first split board, and I just have a few simple questions. I am 5'11 157lbs with no gear and my normal resort board is a 154 Capita DoA. A) Will this board work for me as far as size goes? I will mainly be touring in the Kootenays, but not until next season most likely as I need to get all my training first, etc. B) From my basic research that is a 2009 model making it 4-5 years old, is it worth the $600?

I apologize for the questions right off the bat, but I didn't know where else to go before possibly making a bad decision. I promise to be a contributing member once I can get out and kill pow!

Post subject: Re: Sorry, first post and a question. Used Prior price.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm 

Well for starters you've posted no link/info regarding the board in question....

Two, if a board will work for you or not is something only you can really answer for yourself based on your own experiences with different shapes, what you want to get out of splitboarding and the terrain you see yourself riding. My first splitboards were my old resort boards, as that's the riding I did. Things have changed, I haven't been to a resort in 3 years, so my riding has changed and board choice has reflected that. That being said your Capita, a Rad Air Tanker and Furberg are all still snowboards. Radically different shapes and sizes perhaps, but if you're comfortable riding one shape and size, there's a good chance you'll figure out another. And if you don't, it doesn't work for your riding style or you think the graphics are stupid, sell it and buy something else. It's not a board for life.

And that gets me onto C. Get out touring as soon as possible and as much as possible! Touring is training! AST1&2 are awesome courses to have but entirely useless if you're not out splitting and getting experience to back that training up. Know anyone that tours? Go with the them. Don't know anyone that tours? Post up here and other forums, stick up a flyer at the grocery store, etc... and then be a sponge and suck up as much info as possible. Ask a lot of 'whys'. If the folks you're with can't answer one, boom, you've got a golden egg of question for when you do take your training.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

RE: "Is it worth it?" - Only you can make that call. What are your other options and compare those to the price and hassle of finding another first splitboard.

My 2¢, $600 for a used, 5-year old board? You can do better (Especially in BC).
A $600, 5-year old board, NOS? Possibly, but what are my options? You must have "walk away power." And bring cash when you see it. Sellers get weak in the knees when they see you flash cash. Then you can negotiate a lower price.

^^^^ p.s. maniacdave has good advice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:21 pm 

kootenay-kid wrote:
So this board is literally like 3 blocks from my house and I am just waiting for the guy to email me back about seeing it. This will be my first split board, and I just have a few simple questions. I am 5'11 157lbs with no gear and my normal resort board is a 154 Capita DoA. A) Will this board work for me as far as size goes? I will mainly be touring in the Kootenays, but not until next season most likely as I need to get all my training first, etc. B) From my basic research that is a 2009 model making it 4-5 years old, is it worth the $600?

I apologize for the questions right off the bat, but I didn't know where else to go before possibly making a bad decision. I promise to be a contributing member once I can get out and kill pow!

I agree with Hans, $600 seems pretty high to me for a 5 year old board. Unless it comes with everything like bindings, hardware, skins, etc, then maybe I would consider it. I bought an entire setup this offseason new for not much more that that (Rome Whiteroom, not a Prior).

Jason

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:29 pm 

Wow guys, really sorry I failed to put the link in..... :oops: Yeah in my head I thought it was really high, there is the hardware, pucks and skins, no binders. Here is the link

http://nelson.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell- ... Z543882725

He states $600 firm, but what would be the most I should pay for this setup? Once again, thank you very much for the help I really do appreciate it!

Also my options are endless as I am in no dire need just trying to deal hunt as the season goes by is all. Once I get my x-mas bonus I may just look new. I do like saving $$ where I can though. Spilt boarding is not a question of if I am going to like, as I know I will love it. It's just the question of which board / setup will be best suit me.

Also, thank you maniacdave for the advice. I want to get out asap, but every time I mention that I don't have my training etc, I pretty much get nailed to the cross. The resort I ride at is White Water and I know there is plenty of slack country there to get my feet wet!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 pm 

Heh, well that instagram of an ad doesn't help a whole lot, but snowboarders are snowboarders. :roll:

It is Prior's twin tip freestyle deck and 4cm is negligible in the trees around Evening Ridge. A little bit of surface area in powder country will probably be more beneficial than detrimental. Overall probably closer to your Capita than anything else in the Prior lineup.

Is it worth a look? Absolutely, especially if it's just down the street. Is it worth $600? Hard to say with that classy timeless photo and no description of it's condition, age, use, etc... So those are things to ask about & look over in person. Double check that by hardware they also mean pucks, touring brackets & heel risers and not just chinese hooks and tip clips. Pretty sure splitboard skins retail locally at Valhalla Pure for $170, or they did last year anyways. Bonus if it includes Voile plates, pins, gaskets, screws & t-nuts so you can chuck on some spare bindings and get touring right away.

I'll 2nd Hans here, bring cash, but definitely don't sell yourself on it. If it all looks well used, 5 year old gear, go in low and see what happens. The firm part is bullshit, it's for sale which means the seller want cash, not a splitboard.

Also, you're in prime territory for touring and splitboarding. You'll find people to shred with. So don't let the hardcore do as I say not as I do hypocrites in Nelson and area dissuade you from getting out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:01 pm 

maniacdave wrote:
Heh, well that instagram of an ad doesn't help a whole lot, but snowboarders are snowboarders. :roll:

It is Prior's twin tip freestyle deck and 4cm is negligible in the trees around Evening Ridge. A little bit of surface area in powder country will probably be more beneficial than detrimental. Overall probably closer to your Capita than anything else in the Prior lineup.

Is it worth a look? Absolutely, especially if it's just down the street. Is it worth $600? Hard to say with that classy timeless photo and no description of it's condition, age, use, etc... So those are things to ask about & look over in person. Double check that by hardware they also mean pucks, touring brackets & heel risers and not just chinese hooks and tip clips. Pretty sure splitboard skins retail locally at Valhalla Pure for $170, or they did last year anyways. Bonus if it includes Voile plates, pins, gaskets, screws & t-nuts so you can chuck on some spare bindings and get touring right away.

I'll 2nd Hans here, bring cash, but definitely don't sell yourself on it. If it all looks well used, 5 year old gear, go in low and see what happens. The firm part is bullshit, it's for sale which means the seller want cash, not a split board.

Also, you're in prime territory for touring and split boarding. You'll find people to shred with. So don't let the hardcore do as I say not as I do hypocrites in Nelson and area dissuade you from getting out.

Well thank you very much! I appreciate all the info very much! I assume you are fairly local as you knew Evening Ridge and Valhalla Pure ^_^ I only have $500 atm any ways, so I couldn't do more than that. I'll inquire what "hardware" actually means and see if I can get all the bits. I can score some Sparks at near whole sale locally so worse case if everything plays out and I need to get binders for it I can be out and about just after x-mas. I'll let you know how she goes so I can at least contribute something to the forum.......lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm 

Ok, more info on the board. He says about 3 years old, but I can't figure out when they stopped using that top sheet graphic so I can't prove or disprove this. He told me that it has taken a core shot and it happened the first day he had it out. That would be the ptex on the bottom. It has all hardware including skins, has plates to use normal bindings. With knowing all this now, what do you guys think would be a fair price for this board? Thank you all once again, you are really helping me out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm 

So if anyone has curious I ended up getting a GNU Billy Goat 159 and some Spark Magneto's. I just said fuck and brought new. I know I am going to be doing this no matter what so I might as well just invest the money now and enjoy it until I need a new one. My Sparks won't be here until next week and I still need the puck kit and skins, so if anyone has some old one lying around let me know! Any ways I am super stoked and can't wait to get out and have some fun. Sadly I don't think I'll have it complete until around the 20th, so maybe and xmas day skin and ride is in my future!