Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 am 

Had high hopes for a upper E/NE facing slope that tends to fill in early. Winds cross loaded some slopes and added a mild wind skin to most aspects. Dug a pit before committing higher. Found a very reactive snowpack on this ~9500 E/NE facing slope. After two ECT's (ECTP 14 and ECTP15) flew off the shelf I extended my column to 120X30 just for fun and got ECTP23 with a lot of pop. Needless to say I changed my plans and poked around some other aspects.
Good snow was found but I had to work for it. N/NE rode good all day and E/SE softened up quite nice with the sun. S and W facing looked barely ridable. Got my first core shot of the season, lot's of sharks just beneath the surface. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm 

Stuck to groomers today. Took a slide for life on the down coming around a corner, getting a little too rowdy. Pulled off on a test slope N/NE facing ~9200 feet found a very consolidated slab sitting on 20cm of facets to the ground. Pretty reactive pit results ECTP 15 dug another longer 120x30cm ECTP 23. I couldn't keep the columns in the wall to show the interface, they were collapsing the 20cm facet layer, not much of a shear.
I haven't found that dormant, unreactive snowpack. Every where I've dug I've gotten pretty conclusive results, albeit I have been looking in the upper E/NE/N faces with loading since that's where the best riding is going to be. Take care.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 am 

Went to Brighton yesterday in hopes of getting 5K vert in to stretch the legs out. I fell short of my goal as I started later than I had hoped and I took it easy. Dug a pit on NW face around 10,200'. On the two ECT's I did, I could not get a result. So I rode the face. Pretty good creamy turns. Snow has started to consolidate, but the facets were still on the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:50 pm 

Good turns up around Catherine's Pass this morning on N-NE-NW faces. Was getting hot by 11:00 as I picked my way back to my truck. Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 am 

Hey Matt, How about sharing some of that kanowledge with us and give us a quick break down of what your seeing with this weekend storm, predictions?

Thanks,Take Care.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:07 am 

Not to steal any of Matt's thunder...har,har....Other than talking with Matt these sites are also a great source for Wasatch weather...they may have been referenced in previous years threads

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com/

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/

Only to be supplemented with Matt's obs of course :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:42 am 

Some news from upper LCC today...

Up in Albion Basin between 2:00-5:00. Maybe 3-4 inches new snow from this morning, but it wasn't really snowing this afternoon. Kind of misty and foggy, with less than 1/2 in. accumulation by the time I returned to my car. 20ish F.

So, all as forecasted, and I look forward to touring Sunday.

Cool, here's a couple pics from Albion Basin... no powder but nice scenery.

And, I was hauling a 30 lb bebe. :thumpsup:

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 am 

Thanks Dave, I forgot how much good info is on the wasatchsnowinfo site. Dorking around on the UAC website I found these charts http://utahavalanchecenter.org/48hr-weather-charts that look good for getting info on temps, windspeeds, snow, etc. as well. Nice work Kelly, if your getting out Sunday shoot me an email love to chat(can't find your email otherwise I would email you). Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 am 

Hey Utah, just saw your post! Usually I am obsessed with touring by now, but I haven't toured once yet. So I haven't been watching this thread as close as usual. Very strange.

Me and my fellow grad students were really excited about this storm a few days ago, but it backed off a bit at the last minute. Looks like there is 4 inches at Collins already today, and I would expect something like 5-9 more before it is all said and done. The SLC radar is down today, which makes short-term forecasting harder. A couple snow sites I would add to Dave's list are http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/snow/ and www.utahskiweather.com. I will be the Monday forecaster on Utah Ski Weather this year, and there are some pretty good forecasters on there for the other days too. It is run by graduate students in atmospheric science at the UU.

Tomorrow things should clear out by around noon. Could be a good day to tour, although I'm sure the best terrain will be sketchy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm 

Hunted in bear trap this morning. By 1030 there was a good 4-5in of new snow. Went and got 3 laps at Brighton and there was plenty of deep stuff off the groomers, but u still hit all the rocks and stumps since there's no solid base. From 11am to 3pm, snow covered the car and parking lot with about 10" or 12" of new snow. For those who got out into the backcountry, how was it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 am 

re: Utah Ski Weather - LOL sure can't wait until "Backcountry" opens :wink:

Image[/URL][/img]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm 

Ironically the backcountry was the only thing open today. Most resorts, Brighton the exception closed to uphill traffic. Four splitters out to cause hell and rip .... up. Found super amazing deep snow. Slight density inversion 6 or so inches from the surface, slightly supportable in places but had to keep the speeds up. Not many signs of instability noted. Did note signs of cross loading, lots of hollow looking, pillowy pockets up in the high East/North facing slopes. Great day!
Thumbs up for sure. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm 

Went up Mill D South again today. It was stupid good with no instabilities noted in the pits we dug on East facing slopes. Ran into some guys who said they kicked off a nice slab off of superior. I did lose the gopro camera I think on the track? If anyone has it I will repay you in beer and high fives!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next