Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont '13-'14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 am 

I'm probably going to skin up madonna or maybe stowe this afternoon if anyone cares to join...

Maybe skin, maybe hike with the rock board... i'll have em both in the car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm 

What did you get for split XC?

Id suggest anyone looking for Pow tomorrow to head up to Jay. Ended up getting talked into it by some skier friends today and glad I went, because is was nice and deep. Did 3 laps, hard to stop, but I was spent.

Well earned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 am 

Ooo Jay looks fantastic. Here's to hoping the snow holds till the weekend.

As far as the split, nothing fancy (I've been snowshoeing with my board for years now, and wanting to get a split since college, just the price was holding me back). I wound up finding a 168 Burton S-series, with hardware skins and Burton Custom bindings all for $450. Figured I was never going to get into the sport with a more affordable set up so I pulled the trigger. My hope is to upgrade to the spark Magnetos at some point this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:10 pm 

highanxiety wrote:
Ended up getting talked into it by some skier friends today

Yeah, it looks like you had a terrible time. :band:

(photo by Dalton ThinCover Harben)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 am 

Here's tp a deep season!

Jay, Yesterday. :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:36 pm 

Awesome pictures and videos coming from Northern Vermont!

And for good reason. What can I say? This week has been one for the books. NWS in Burlington reported as high as 21 inches at the stake on Mount Mansfield this week, but it was much deeper than that in many places. The lack of snow pack made for tricky conditions, but with the itch to make turns, it seemed like a no brainer. I don't even remember when the snow started falling, maybe it was Friday, or Saturday- I lost track by Monday- and it was still coming down on Wednesday. I took the opportunity to meet up with a fellow member on the board, Alex, and knock off the rust for some lift served at Killington, that was Sunday. Throughout the day we were rewarded with several snow squalls to keep things fresh and wintery. And then, the skies broke open. Monday morning, Vermonters were rewarded with reports of a big dump at elevation. I rushed to get as much work done that morning because I knew the rest of the week would be a wash.

Tuesday morning, after some rest, I got a late start up to Smuggs. At the Madonna baselodge, snow was falling and there was no sign of it stopping and it didn't. The snow was light, but not too light. With the lack of a base, we needed some substance to ride on and we got just the right snow. The face shots were countless but the rock danger was minimalized.
The skinner on Doc's

The next day I headed over to the other side to see how the conditions were at Stowe. I got there in the afternoon, after the sun had been shinning all morning. The conditions were even better after the snow consolidated some, but there was still a ridiculous amount of powder.
Mt. Mansfield from Stowe parking lot.

While all this was happening up at about 1500', the valley saw a light dusting but it was mostly gone by Thursday. Normally when we get a warm up, it's sad to see the snow go. But with all the excitment that we've had this week, the warmth today felt ok, especially since its still only November. So what else do you do when it's 50 degrees, dry, and sunny? You grab the bike and go ride some single track in jeans and a t-shirt!

It sure feels good to be a Vermonter right now. 2 foot dumps, no lifts, and sunny day bike rides are ok with me. And by the way, there's talk about more snow next week! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:35 pm 

Nice work guys, glad to see everyone was on it. :headbang: Jay looked super good on Wed, but a bit more traffic.

Where were you riding bikes 802, Saxon?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:32 pm 

Mud Pond in Williston. There isn't any hunting allowed there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 pm 

Looks like I'm moving back to VT in a week, just in time for winter. Now I just need to find a place to live around Waterbury...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:54 am 

Knock on wood it looks like snow is moving in over the weekend. Sunday or Monday could be good. From Jay Peak (I find they usually do a pretty good job with reporting/forcasting):

Quote:
A net gain of 4"+ for the summit by the first lift ride tomorrow, Opening Day!.
Snowy weather Saturday morning will turn to mostly cloudy with flurries by afternoon, our wind and temperatures will be moderate, and some sun should break though, a nice ski day. Then all (white) hell breaks lose Saturday Night.

Jay Peak will have a private blizzard Sunday. As the wind increases to storm force, the temperature drops to January force. But the snow will keep on flying. We have a double digit 'Jay Cloud' snowfall with the Sunday arctic blast. My guess is 15"+ by Monday morning. The wind will decrease rapidly Monday, with a few hours of sunshine before the next system arrives Monday Night. A combo warm front and cold front should bring another 4" snowfall for Tuesday. And we are just getting warmed up for Thanksgiving.

A Major storm is likely to impact most of the eastern United States for Wednesday and Thanksgiving Day. The early call for Jay Peak is 'Blizzard Possible', we are not talking private blizzard either, this one may impact the entire length of the Long Trail from Massachusetts to Canada. But these major systems are barley discernible from our local "Jay Cloud' blizzards. For those who only see the weather from a Jay Jet perspective, the Sunday blizzard and the Thanksgiving Day blizzard may look and feel identical.
Next Update Sunday Night
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 am 

I wonder why Roger Hill doesn't do the forecast for Jay anymore? Anyways, that's a pretty ballsy forecast- a lot of forecasters are on the fence concerning the weather madness potentially headed our way. One thing is for sure. Jay has been a monster overperformer this fall. I'm going to ride lifts at Smuggs Sunday morning and pick up the split from No School (it got beat up pretty good last snow dump). But this week is going to be great for earning inbound laps because the base is there and the lifts are closed! :headbang: Happy T-day and shredding.

Alex, feel free to hit me up this week, I hope to get several days in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm 

was at smuggs today riding the lift, It was firm, but good to work the riding legs. Pretty empty for first couple hours, which was nice. Will be up again tomorrow for few runs. Couple new inches just now, hopefully some more on the way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:55 pm 

Did they shut the lifts down at Smuggs at all today? It sounds like wind could be an issue tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next