Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the deal? My Rossi XV and some old man bitching.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:46 am 

example: Jones Flagship retail: $549
Jones Solution retail: $849

This is the same across the industry. There's no way it cost $300 more to cut a board in half and add an extra edge. And Both boards have inserts. They're just in different places. I believe this price difference is total bullshit.

I just bought a Rossi XV magtek splitboard for $599 retail (stoked!). The same board in a solid is going for $529 retail. That's how it should be. Splitboard prices are a huge ripoff. (And don't give me the "but it's made in China bro" crap.)

Post subject: Re: What's the deal?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:50 am 

BGnight wrote:

This is the same across the industry. There's no way it cost $300 more to cut a board in half and add an extra edge. And Both boards have inserts. They're just in different places. I believe this price difference is total bullshit.

I just bought a Rossi XV magtek splitboard for $599 retail (stoked!). The same board in a solid is going for $529 retail. That's how it should be. Splitboard prices are a huge ripoff. (And don't give me the "but it's made in China bro" crap.)

Splitboards sell in a much less capacity.
Less sales -> higher price.

That said, I totally agree that splitboards are a tiny weeny bit overpriced.
But since you metioned China, a worker there gets paid so little that Rossi is probably making more money on that board than any other company selling boards for $850 (assuming they produce in US, Canada or Europe where a worker gets paid a bit better.

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:39 am 

I could be way off here but I'm guessing that splitboards aren't made by laying up, a board pressing it, cutting it in half, then adding and interior edge. My guess is that you lay up each ski separately, then press it. It this case it's not that the material costs more it's that labor costs more. It's going to be about the same amount of labor to lay up one half of a splitboard as it does to lay up an entire snowboard.
I'd say rather then comparing spltiboard prices to snowboards you should be comparing them to skis. I haven't bought skis so I don't know what that comparison is.

Plus,
They're made in China Bro!

Edit
BG are you fucking high?
http://store.rossignol.com/products/689072?action_type=changeproduct&selectedproduct=0365ad2ceaeab99a1029463720595efe

http://www.backcountry.com/rossignol-xv-magtek-splitboard

http://www.amazon.com/Rossignol-Magtek-Splitboard-Split-Color/dp/B00FG078C2

[url]http://bergsskishop.com/xv-magtek-splitboard-split-kit-mens-p28207c2662.html
retail for the XV split is $999[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am 

But there's probably another 4 or 5 companies that make their boards in China that are charging $200-$300 more for their splits vs solids. I don't buy that it costs 30%+ more due to labor to make a split vs a solid. The stoner kid at the prior factory is probably only getting paid $15/hour. Let's say it takes him 4 hours more to lay up a solid than a split (that's generous). That's $60 more in labor. Not sure how much these Co.'s are paying for chinese hooks and tip clips by bulk but I doubt it's too much (I'd guess this is the most expensive part). The boards are already severely overpriced. I think even if it's a tad more hassle and material they shouldn't be charging so much more vs a solid. And seeing how Rossi is so established and can probably afford it, I think they're looking to cash in on offering the cheapest splits out there rather than be the same as everyone else and not stand out in the marketplace. (I think Rome splits are the same in pricing?) I dunno, I'm just rambling. I'd rather support a company who can give me a sick split for $600 retail than say Never Summer or Prior who charge 40% more. Who cares if the quality is lacking (I doubt they're any different). I can buy 2 fucking boards instead of one! :D

But you're right. Ski's are fucking expensive. Fuck this sport. I'm taking up snowshoeing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:59 am 

Dude! You're quoting their whole split PACKAGE for $999. The split itself is only $599.

Anyway, enough bitching about prices (the whole point of this gay ass thread), I'm stoked to ride this thing! I had the old 163 experience and loved it. Can't wait to see how this opposite flex pattern rides. And I'm stoked that XV added 9mm of taper and kept the somewhat longer sidecut (9.4: comparable to a solution)
I wanted to get a custom made board via prior but it was gonna cost me roughly $1300-$1400! :shock:

Post subject: Re: What's the deal? My Rossi XV and some old man bitching.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

Get this man some snow in Tahoe pronto! :wink:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:13 pm 

BGnight wrote:

not how splitboards are made at all. having built both solid and splits for 2 different companies splitboards require several more man hours per board laying up the board vs building a solid. not to mention design, mold, and press cost all go up as well. That is why you see the inflated price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:01 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Get this man some snow in Tahoe pronto! :wink:

This. Yes this. Now.

I'm dreaming of powder more often than sex these days. I just bought a new pair of snowboard boots I don't really need and can't really afford. If it doesn't snow soon I'm gonna have to drive to where the fluffy stuff exists or do something really extreme like start posting on internet message boards again. Shit, that just happened.

Also, I bet that XV would be sick mounted with dynafits and tlt5s! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

BG
Let us know what you think of the Rossi
Be carfull, they have had a few snap!
Loved mine this season in NZ.
Cheers

Just started making boards and the time to make a split RIGHT is probably twice as long.
Remember 2 x edges, 2 x side walls and 2 x inserts.
Its not the cost of the materials its the time to fit them.
Ozzie labour is $$$$$$$$$ :lol:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Dude! You're quoting their whole split PACKAGE for $999. The split itself is only $599.

Anyway, enough bitching about prices (the whole point of this gay ass thread), I'm stoked to ride this thing! I had the old 163 experience and loved it. Can't wait to see how this opposite flex pattern rides. And I'm stoked that XV added 9mm of taper and kept the somewhat longer sidecut (9.4: comparable to a solution)
I wanted to get a custom made board via prior but it was gonna cost me roughly $1300-$1400! :shock:

Sorry I meant that as two separate ideas.
I was just wondering if you were high :doobie:
and if so, I was providing some links for you to waste time surfing on :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 pm 

Brooks,

Me thinks it is time for you to take a factory tour of some of the well established builders in the US. I have visited both Venture and Never Summer factories, and seen their production process. I would estimate there is about twice as much labor (man hours) in building a split as building the same board in a solid. This is also skilled labor.
You have every right to spend your money as you choose, but it is inaccurate to suggest that current split prices are a rip off in any way. I do not know of anyone who is getting rich off of building splitboards.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

Obamaboards. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 am 

It is at least twice the effort to build a split as compared to a solid deck. Skis take about 1.5 times a solid, doing a split where you have a tight fit, takes even longer. Barrows is dead on.