Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skins question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:31 am 

sorry for starting yet another thread as a newb...lol..I tried doing a search and didn't find anything, but admittedly I suck at searching and give up quick.

anyways my question is this are you guys riding with/storing your skins in your jacket on your descents to keep them warm for putting back on for your next run? I was taught this method way back in the day when I had to take a tele class in college. Just wondering if this is still the norm or if folks are putting them in their packs for the ride down?

thanks

Post subject: Re: skins question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 am 

I used to store them in my jacket when I didn't have tailclips. Now that I have spark tailclips, I keep them in my backpack most of the time. I don't enjoy really riding with them in my jacket, it can be a little uncomfortable and limit range of movement.

If I do get buildup, I put them in my jacket for a little bit, maybe a few minutes during changeover, but mostly keep them in my pack.

In summary, to keep in the pack, get glopstopper wax, and get tailclips. Worse case scenario you get some buildup, put them in your jacket for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 am 

cool, my G3 skins have tail clips so I guess that is good...will have to look in to some glopstopper wax.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 am 

I find glopstopper isn't especially useful until its a big wet powder day, or spring. But its good to have. You can also wax it into your skins, which helps as well prior to going out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am 

lol I just watched the same video haha!!

so, skins on..skin up. get to the top pull skins off fold in to thirds sticking the glue to its self, roll/fold up and put in to pack, switch board over and ride down...repeat....is this correct?

then for wetter/warmer days apply glopstopper wax to pelt to decrease snow stickage/buildup

again sorry for my silly newb questions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 am 

That's basically the run down. I fold my skins in 1/2, then 1/4, but that's not a big deal. You can also roll them.

I keep a section of glopstopper close just in case too. About a 1/4 of the full amount. But thats me.

Also, carry some voile straps to help with any skin failures and keeping them in place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm 

Couple of other ride storage ideas.

After folding them put them between your pack and your back. I don't do this all that often because I haven't moded my pack to make it easier. The few times I've done it I had a little difficulty getting it all together. Once on, I didn't have any problems with the skins trying to escape.

If you've got large leg vents you can put them in your pants. I do this more often. I use it especially when I know I've got a flat skin out. That way when I get done with my run I don't have to take my pack off. There's two methods for this one is to put them in vertically, the other is to wrap them around your boot.