Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: women's splitboard sizing advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:22 pm 

hey everyone! i just bought my first splitboard for an awesome deal at my local consignment gear shop.. but im not sure if I made the right decision on the size. I'm 5'3" and 125 lbs (without a pack) and normally ride a 148 park board and 152 freeride/racing board, but got a 156 Viole Artisan for my split. I used my friend's 152 mens Icelantic splitboard last year and liked how it felt, but i was looking for something to really carve with on fresh pow days. I was thinking this board might be a little too long to make quick turns if I am going through trees or rocks though. should I keep the 156 or go for something smaller?

Post subject: Re: women's splitboard sizing advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm 

Increasing 5cm from your resort board to your backcountry board is pretty typical since you're factoring in (ideally) powder conditions and the added weight of a pack.

Looking at the profile of this board, the early rise tip and rocker profile will actually help this board feel/ride like its a shorter board. I ride the Prior AMF 159 (a 155 inbounds) and deal with a lot of tight trees and micro-terrain. Having the rocker really helps for making quick turns.

I was a bit hesitant at first with going bigger for myself considering the need for tight turns. But the early rise will help.. and will also be fine on the powder days. In my opinion the shape makes up for additional cm in length when it comes to powder.

Perhaps some of the other ladies that may be a bit shorter in stature can add their perspective.

There's now a new section on the forums specifically for Ladies gear which I suggest posting to http://splitboard.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=79

It'll be easier for the other ladies on this forum to find your topic and add their two cents.

Post subject: Re: women's splitboard sizing advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 pm 

I definitely agree with Arkana, the artisan profile makes it feel a little shorter than it is, so the extra cms shouldn't make a huge difference - especially in pow.

I'm only just over 5'4 and a bit heavier - I usually ride a 154 and have gone for the 153 artisan split and love it. Bearing in mind though, that I am riding New Zealand conditions - hugely variable and not a lot of pow! I would have gone for the 156 if I was going to be smashing pow, and not having to skin on hard pack.

At the end of the day I'd at least give it a ride!