The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Should we add a ladies specific section on this forum
Yes 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Girls? Ew, cooties. 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Can we get a womens-specific section on this forum?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

ARKANA wrote:
Barrows, I'm looking forward to your gear review of Patagonia women's briefs. I'd really be interested to hear your thoughts on the product based on its size and technical specifications as noted on the official website. We'll just post it in the Gear section of the site...

Hahaha! I guess I am not making my point clearly at all, sorry. My point is that there does not need to be any specific place for one to post such reviews, right now anyone (F or M) is welcome to post a review of anything in the "GEAR" forum, it is not called the "MENS GEAR" forum. I just do not think there needs to be segregation between women's and mens gear, reviews of all types of gear can be posted, it just seems to me that we should be able to coexist naturally without any problem.
Certainly anyone should feel welcome to review anything here, are women riders reluctant to post up their thoughts as things are now?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm 

Barrows, I do see your point. But I think it can be extremely overwhelming to sift through hundreds of posts if I'm just looking for a review of a womens boot, as compared to every other preferred mens boot out there.

I'm not suggesting that all females need to converse within this one section of the site. It's just an easier way to find information and have specific discussions related to female-related products and suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

Barrow, I don't see a women's forum as a way to segregate women from the rest of the forum. It's just a place that all the women who have ever asked for suggestions on boots to go to see all the threads by people with similar feet and do a little research. Or boards or women's briefs or whatever. Just like its helpful to have all the venture board threads in one place or all those about boots or mods or whatever in an easy access place.
I do see what you mean about size being relative and it just being a matter of discussing different size boards. But many ladies have ridden women's specific equipment inbounds and found that it works well for them. Imagine you are 5'3", 115 lbs, have a size 6 ladies boot (that's 4 in men's) and have been riding a women's specific board inbounds for the past several years. Now with that in mind go read the gear forum imagining you want to get a setup that's gonna feel great. (Hint It might feel like looking thru plus size blouses at the DI for one you can wear as a dress.)
I think guys offer a lot in terms of helping me understand the physics and design of equipment. I won't segregate myself to a women's only forum. Who knows if there are enough dedicated women who would keep this going like some of you guys have kept the rest of splitboard.com going, but if its one place where you can find a few good honest reviews then that's a great start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

OK, well it looks like I am wrong. If the women on these boards feel like they would be better served by having a specific place, then I will totally support that.

I must say, for boards, I really respect Venture's approach. They do not make "women's boards", they do make their boards in many different sizes, widths, and flexes to suit riders of all sizes. I have one partner, 5'3", ~110 lbs, who rides a 152 Storm with a 24 cm waist and loves it (yes, she is actually a girl).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:58 pm 

Barrows, I think what you really mean to say is that there SHOULDN'T be a need, but it turns out that there is - in what I call the real world.
There are plenty of women riders out there participating amongst men (and other women), buying gear at shops that sell both men's and women's gear...but you know what, even stores separate their equipment into Men's & Women's sections. I wonder why they do that? Certainly not to segregate us into some kind of bizarre world where men's and women's things should never be seen together, right? Maybe it's so it's easier to find...or perhaps I imagined that.

As you pointed out there are few women (compared to men) splitting at the moment so why not make it easier to find the info we want, rather than sift through page after page of irrelevant information? Maybe that doesn't suit your stance on splitboard equality, but just maybe it suits ours...and that's the important point that you seem to be missing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:01 pm 

In light of your post that I missed, I thought it worth mentioning that I too have ridden, and do still ride men's boards. I was snowboarding before 'women's' equipment existed.

Regardless of if I choose to ride a women's specific, or small men's board, I still like to hear what other WOMEN have to say

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm 

shesplits wrote:
Barrows, I think what you really mean to say is that there SHOULDN'T be a need, but it turns out that there is - in what I call the real world.
There are plenty of women riders out there participating amongst men (and other women), buying gear at shops that sell both men's and women's gear...but you know what, even stores separate their equipment into Men's & Women's sections. I wonder why they do that? Certainly not to segregate us into some kind of bizarre world where men's and women's things should never be seen together, right? Maybe it's so it's easier to find...or perhaps I imagined that.

As you pointed out there are few women (compared to men) splitting at the moment so why not make it easier to find the info we want, rather than sift through page after page of irrelevant information? Maybe that doesn't suit your stance on splitboard equality, but just maybe it suits ours...and that's the important point that you seem to be missing.

Right on!:

"OK, well it looks like I am wrong. If the women on these boards feel like they would be better served by having a specific place, then I will totally support that."

Yes, I have deferred to your point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm 

barrows wrote:
...women should not need...

Isn't human nature funny. Even after millions of years we men still want to tell women what they want. :)

Really tho, I can see both sides and I understand the points you're making barrows.

For me I think it's more about organization and less about segregation. Havng a nice little forum/subforum for specific topics/categories is something we've tried to do (and I think we do pretty good) from the beginning. Why stop now.

I also look at it like this....if we're to truly be equal...we're to be considered one (like Sparta haha)....

And having said that...WE (not they) asked for a new category to help keep certain topics organized. So if WE are asking for it and it seems to make sense...how can I say no. :)

There's my :twocents:

Now what are we calling it!?? I can create it in a matter of minutes. :thatrocks:

ps. Barrows...what say ye about a harboot subforum in the boot forum? Would that be helpful for our HB'ers?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 pm 

forgot to add....

splitters unite! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 am 

At one time I was thinking that it would be a forum about any topic for women. Maybe that will be too broad, and for now we should stick to a gear related forum. Thats my biggest motivation, and it seems like it might be for others. Arkana, is that your primary motivation also? See how it goes first?
What if it was under the gear headline and was just called 'ladies gear.' Subtitle, 'share and learn about women's specific gear here.' Simple enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 am 

ARKANA wrote:
Barrows, I'm looking forward to your gear review of Patagonia women's briefs. I'd really be interested to hear your thoughts on the product based on its size and technical specifications as noted on the official website. We'll just post it in the Gear section of the site...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Quite possibly the best post here since Russman summarized the barrows/BGnight hard/soft debate.

If there's demand, then I fully support sb.com meeting that demand. :thumpsup:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am 

Chris: as mentioned in my last post, I have deferred my point of view to that of the women posting here. I would never presume to tell a women what she wants/needs! As their posts clearly show, they feel some special women's forums would be helpful, so I am all for it.
As for the hardboot specific thread, I see no need, for similar reasons (unless we could ban Brooks and employees of soft binding companies, hahahahahaha!).

I would be happy to review the aforementioned women's briefs for their aesthetic value as modeled by, perhaps, Jessica Biel, who is quite an accomplished rider. :thumpsup:

UNITY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 am 

nothing to add other than that i've enjoyed the banter over the last few days...