Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you remove your skins when touring back to the car?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm 

As a big guy (280lbs + 6' 2"), i don't trust the touring brackets.

Seriously bent my voile touring bracket with slider plates when i stayed in ski mode for my avalanche course. But some pliers and a hammer later i was back in action.

But i'd keep the training wheels on instead of busting a pin or worse better to slowly ski out than boot pack it. (Who am i kidding a voile strap and you could figure it out).

To those with lots of split skiing experience, any of you 200+lbs or more?

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:11 pm 

I don't even consider it a thing to ski a split, it's just normal. Splits are tools and the more ways you can use them the more useful they are.

More than once I've seen splitters ski a section better than skiers.

I think of this as a basic progression. At first split boards just replaced snow shoes and riders used them that way (and there is nothing wrong with just using a split board this way). As riders tour with advanced ATers and do longer more complicated tours it's just natural to ski your split. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes it's even fun.

(can't help with the +200lb pregunta but I'd say go for it)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 pm 

damn, now I feel like a big wuss noob.

can I change my answer to "it depends". :P

done plenty of split skiing in pow and down easy exits, but complicated exits (ie. saddlebag road with all the bumps and ups and downs or the singing pass exit at Whistler) just calls for a faceplant, broken toepiece, or a wrecked knee.

the moment you have to go up a little bit, you're screwed. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

split skiing on the out w/o skins is (for me) fun and challenging if im not shot out from the tour...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 pm 

I'm in the "it depends" camp as well.

It depends on the tour, it depends on the snow conditions, it depends on the crew, it depends on time/energy/mood.

It just depends! :)

Having said all that, split-skiing is a great skill to add to the bag of tricks. It can save time, energy, and can even be a little fun. I wouldn't say new splitters should go out and split-ski train necessarily but as you do more splitting you'll have more opportunities to practice it. The better you become the more comfortable, efficient, and even safer you'll be in split-mode...regardless if you're going up or down the mountain.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 am 

dishwasher-dave wrote:
I don't even consider it a thing to ski a split, it's just normal. Splits are tools and the more ways you can use them the more useful they are.

More than once I've seen splitters ski a section better than skiers.

I think of this as a basic progression. At first split boards just replaced snow shoes and riders used them that way (and there is nothing wrong with just using a split board this way). As riders tour with advanced ATers and do longer more complicated tours it's just natural to ski your split. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes it's even fun.

Summed it up nicely!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 pm 

This is a really useful topic for me. I haven't split-skied for fear of wrecking my hardware, but I think I'll give it a shot at the local resort (on the beginner runs) and see what happens. I telemark ski, so as long as I don't over stress the hardware, it should go. :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 am 

I need my depends on when tele-turning my split for sure. I imagine hard booters take the contest on this one (though i can two plank with decent ability). Be cool to see more splits designed with split-skiing in mind (think mini-swallows).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm 

Learning how to split ski without skins will help you avoid grumbling, hungry skiers waiting for you at the end of the day. If you don't feel comfortable yet, try practicing skiing on a green slope somewhere or from the top of the Bradley moraine. Like everything with splitboarding, it is awkward, amazingly hilarious, and takes time to master. As far as bending your hardware goes, I have only done that once in my 8 years of splitboarding and that was because my pin slipped out. You should always carry extra splitboard pieces anyway in case of an emergency. The better you get at split skiing, the happier you and your partners will be in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:49 am 

No way :nononno:
Personally I find it too squirly and not worth the risk of knee injury - its why I never skied snow in the first place. Besides (and I realize I'm fortunate), most of the lines I frequent can be ridden boardstylee back to the trailhead or require actually skinning. :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 am 

+1
Snurfer wrote:
No way :nononno:
Personally I find it too squirly and not worth the risk of knee injury - its why I never skied snow in the first place. Besides (and I realize I'm fortunate), most of the lines I frequent can be ridden boardstylee back to the trailhead or require actually skinning. :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 am 

In the depend camp too. Not too often though. The one place I can think of that's perfect for skinless touring is coming back from little slide canyon out of Bridgeport. It's oh so gradually down hill so you're skating the whole way. You can never get enough speed where it would be sketchy but it's still faster and more efficient than with skins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm 

Damn, second page and JimW hasnt posted any of the thousands of pics of me eating shit while trying to split ski. I dont know what I fear worse, camp chute in spring or any, I mean ANY splitskiing.........roll pics now Jim

Edit to add- looking at your avatar, if you surf you dont need no stinking splitskiing, bet those ass hats that called you out cant surf