Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynafit Titan too stiff?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am 

Has anyone ridden the Titans? If so, how do they feel/compare to other boots (specifically hardboots such as Head, Deeluxe, UPZ for those that can compare).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dynafit Titan too stiff?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 am 

Yes, I tried them in 2010. I had to leave them in walk mode and loosley buckled. Most importantly, cannot correct forward motion differential between front and rear foot, and not enough lateral flex.

2010 Prior 168XW AMF w/ Bomber TD3s
2014 Prior 165 Khyber XTC Split full camber w/ Phantoms
2.5º cant front, 5º cant rear
Modded 2013 LaSportiva Siderals
Bomber SideWinders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm 

Are you looking for an AT boot that will compare to alpine carving boots? Generally, the AT boots most of us are after for splitting are much softer and dramatically lighter than true alpine hardboots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm 

thanks, John.

buell, not necessarily the same. i was just wondering about comparison so i have an idea where some of the AT boots fall in terms of stiffness. softer is fine with me, i was just wondering where the Titan in particular fell, since i have no reference point other than alpine hardboots that was my comparison. i didnt see much info when i did a search on the Titan, so i assumed people dont usually ride that boot because it's too stiff?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 pm 

It's tremendously stiff! I have zero experience with alpine hardboots, but in comparison with the TLT5s it's like wearing concrete shoes. I haven't ridden them, only carpet walked them out of curiosity and I would never try riding them. Also they weight a ton. Or at least something like 2kg per boot!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm 

I currently ride UPZ RC10s on groom. In the past I had Track 700s and before that, Suzukas. For splitting, I use modified TLT5 mountains.

Some hardboot carvers also use their hardboots for freeriding and like how they perform. That is why I was asking if you are looking for an AT boot that is similar to the carving boots. If, like some on BOL, you dislike softboots and prefer to ride your alpine boots for freeriding and powder, you might be looking for a beefier AT boot than most of the AT splitters here on SB.com. Most of us want the flex of a softboot with the benefits of the AT boot for skinning, climbing, and walking. Getting to use Phantom bindings with dynafit toepiece for ascending is also quite nice.

One issue with using alpine hardboot style on splitboards is that the Voile hardware does not allow angles >40*. Phantom bindings top out around 30*. That does annoy a few riders coming from alpine hardboots who want higher angles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm 

ahh, i see. that's good to know. I didn't realize the Voile setup was also maxed at about 30*. I used to have an older pair of UPZs back in '06, but I've been on Head Stratos Pros since 07. Love that boot. I initially thought about riding in them on a splitboard setup, but I'm thinking AT boots are the way to go, as I've had others tell me as well. Going softer isn't a problem for me, just not softboot soft... I prefer to stick closer to hardboot stiffness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm 

I think Voile pucks and slider go to 40*.

Yes, AT boots are absolutely the way to go. I could not imagine trying to ascend, walk, or scramble in alpine carving boots. Modifying AT boots is a slow process of trying then making small changes. You may need no mods or just minimal mods.