Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Into the Mind

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Into the Mind
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:56 pm 

have you guys watched it?

I've watched probably 10 times now and I still can't decide how I feel. Curious on others thoughts. Beautiful footage and some insane skiing/riding. Also I feel like i'm cheating on my girlfriend these days as I'm finding the skiing sections of all the movies I've watched this year to be so much better than the snowboarding.

Post subject: Re: Into the Mind
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm 

I've felt the same way the last couple years watching the insane skiing parts and feeling like there weren't any riders comparing to their level of shred. I feel like skiers body position lends to a higher level of shred. For example, you cant back slap a landing on a 80 foot cliff mid line on a snowboard and ride away cleanly. Skiers can. Also, skiers are always squared up to the fall lane making them more stable and being able to charge harder at higher speeds. Snowboarders seem to be limited by their equipment at a certain point. It's all shredding though and I try to just enjoy it for what it is. (all of this is totally up for debate)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm 

I love good snow flicks, and that movie had insane footage...... But I couldn't even finish it. I drove me nuts. I felt like I was watching a great movie on crack. It cuts in and out of shots so quick and there is no story to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am 

Quote:
But I couldn't even finish it. I drove me nuts. I felt like I was watching a great movie on crack. It cuts in and out of shots so quick

my thoughts exactly... it felt like watching a music video

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am 

Agreed, the movie is weird/wild/really aesthetically pleasing at the same time. I like slow cameras and longer clips. Loved the scene in Signatures where the guy makes a few turns down a couloir and the camera just fixes there watching snowballs tumble down the chute, a good echo of the occasional action and lasting (hopefully) silent beauty in the mts.

Earnyourturn wrote:
skiers are always squared up to the fall lane making them more stable and being able to charge harder at higher speeds.

I disagree that being squared to the fallline makes you more stable on skis. You have two skis, that makes things a lot more complicated whether the snow is really uniform or not.

Earnyourturn wrote:
Snowboarders seem to be limited by their equipment at a certain point.

Yes, if they ride boards 20cms shorter than skis with buttery soft flex patterns, then boards are held back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am 

Saw the movie the other day, i was in and out of sleep on the coach with my wife and it didn't seem to matter. No plot-line really, the skiing was amazing but the revolving scene shit was lame (just to much of it).

Skiers do seem to shred a little faster (but not much). I would love to learn how but i only have the cash for one bc set-up and i personaly don't think that i would ever be able to charge like i can on a board in any snow condition (breakable crust, pow slush).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm 

acopafeel wrote:
Quote:
But I couldn't even finish it. I drove me nuts. I felt like I was watching a great movie on crack. It cuts in and out of shots so quick

Agreed... stunning visuals but I prefer stuff like the Powderwhores. Into the Mind was just a little too glossy I guess.

earnyourturn wrote:
Also, skiers are always squared up to the fall lane making them more stable and being able to charge harder at higher speeds. Snowboarders seem to be limited by their equipment at a certain point. It's all shredding though and I try to just enjoy it for what it is. (all of this is totally up for debate)

Disagree with pretty much all of this. Not to beat a dead horse, but you asked for debate, so...

You neglect to point out that skiers are in mandatory control of two objects & two edges all the time. With that fact alone you should see why a board is more stable! Only limitations of a snowboard are logistical IMO... traversing, side-stepping, and so on. None of those things actually have to do with shredding big pow faces at high speeds.

Also, before you say snowboarders are limited by their equipment, think about the length of a snowboard vs. length of skis and how that pertains to negotiating tight cruxes in narrow couloirs. Also think about how freaking solid self-belayed ice axe side slipping on your toeside edge is... no, not glamorous, but very useful and arguably safer than side-stepping w/ a whippet in shred mountaineering situations. Plus, boarders get to carry a real axe as opposed to a whippet. Another advantage. I could go on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
acopafeel wrote:
Quote:

Agreed... stunning visuals but I prefer stuff like the Powderwhores. Into the Mind was just a little too glossy I guess.

earnyourturn wrote:
Also, skiers are always squared up to the fall lane making them more stable and being able to charge harder at higher speeds. Snowboarders seem to be limited by their equipment at a certain point. It's all shredding though and I try to just enjoy it for what it is. (all of this is totally up for debate)

Disagree with pretty much all of this. Not to beat a dead horse, but you asked for debate, so...

You neglect to point out that skiers are in mandatory control of two objects & two edges all the time. With that fact alone you should see why a board is more stable! Only limitations of a snowboard are logistical IMO... traversing, side-stepping, and so on. None of those things actually have to do with shredding big pow faces at high speeds.

Also, before you say snowboarders are limited by their equipment, think about the length of a snowboard vs. length of skis and how that pertains to negotiating tight cruxes in narrow couloirs. Also think about how freaking solid self-belayed ice axe side slipping on your toeside edge is... no, not glamorous, but very useful and arguably safer than side-stepping w/ a whippet in shred mountaineering situations. Plus, boarders get to carry a real axe as opposed to a whippet. Another advantage. I could go on.

Touche. Had not considered your points. Do you agree that the last couple years skiers across the board go bigger and faster on big mountain faces? If you agree, what do you attribute this to? If you don't agree, the films i'm specifically thinking of TGR films the last few years (Tangerine dream, lost and found, one for the road, dream factory) they all go so big and so fast! Can you direct me to any film parts that compare for a snowboarder? Xav may be the only one that comes close. To be clear, i'm all about snowboarding. Don't ski well currently and will never ski at the same level I ride but i think it's interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm 

Skiers always have and always will huck bigger drops than snowboarders. On a whole they always have and always will go faster. However, in perfect pow, most snowboarders can go as fast (some faster) than skiers. In hardpack skiers will always rule. Just how it is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm 

nickstayner wrote:

You neglect to point out that skiers are in mandatory control of two objects & two edges all the time. With that fact alone you should see why a board is more stable!

Try to run a steep downhill course on a snowboard. A dude on your "stable" board is going to fly out of control, lose and edge, and kill himself. Skis are way more stable when used by an expert, especially on hard snow. (same can be said of a speed skiing course)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Try to run a steep downhill course on a snowboard. A dude on your "stable" board is going to fly out of control, lose and edge, and kill himself. Skis are way more stable when used by an expert, especially on hard snow. (same can be said of a speed skiing course)

Fair enough, but I thought we were talking about big mountain riding. When's the last time you saw someone ski a big mountain like on 210cm, stiff as a 2x4, next-to-0 sidecut DH race skis? And the whole "when used by an expert" qualifier will inevitably turn this back into one of the "it's not the tool, it's the mechanic" sort of things...

Minutiae season for sure!!

(Sorry for the thread drift Dan!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:44 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
I'm finding the skiing sections of all the movies I've watched this year to be so much better than the snowboarding.

good fur you and YOUR perception...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm 

Dang man! I'm gonna make my own movies from now on and they are gonna be awesome! Like nobody is gowna use a helicopter, or any kinda artsy fartsy bullshit. We're gonna have skiers, and only heavy metal, and a bunch of computer technology, but not too much, and we ain't gonna refer to hippies at all. Man, it's gonna be awesome man.

Honestly, guys, do we really have to hash out this crap out every season, with every movie release? I'm sorry that your video turned out different than you would expect. Dang, that must have hurt. Now, is your whole season ruined because nobody asked for your input in the editing room?

Booo Fucking Hooo!!!