Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark boots size 12.5 to long - Any Advise?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 am 

Hi Guys,

A first post after 2 seasons of happy splitting in Switzerland and discovering this great forum!

Last season I needed new boots and choose to go with deeluxe sparks. I like them a lot....BUT with my size 12.5 these suckers are huge!! I did all adjustment on my Spark burners (L) and installed the Voile touring risers. Even with the risers installed I'm still hitting my toes while touring :( . Also toe/heel drag on the steeps is borderline with my Wide Solution

I assume the new magnetos/afterburner are the same length and the new spark XV is as bulky as it's predecessor.

Any advise for a bigfoots like me what to do? Are there any splitters using a 12.5 Spark deeluxe ?

Thanks for your help and let it snow soon!!!

PS No way I will move to Hardboots :-).

- Deeluxe Spark

Post subject: Re: Spark boots size 12.5 to long - Any Advise?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:40 am 

Hey fellow swiss bigfoot. You really should give hardboots a chance :D . They come in handy when touring in the Alps :D My big feet are one of the main reason's I switched a few years ago to hardboots. You can get fulll length strides in tour mode without being limited by your toes hitting the board. Also sidehilling is much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:49 am 

Good to know I'm not the only out there!

I don't want to start another Hardboot/ softboot discussion :-). The flow of the softboots is the main reason for me to be on a board.......I really hope I can find a good softboot option, but I'm afraid there aren't so many

- Deeluxe Spark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 am 

Size 11/12/13 shoe size here. Thats right I'm all three, in snowboard boots i will try on every size and style until the shop worker is sick of me. Many boots aren't true to size, and others have better design that tucks your giant feet into a smaller space.

Ive been touring with cheep, very light 32 brand boots and now am in a Forum boot with "tweaker". Basically these are boots with good tread, very light, and excellent flex when skinning. None of them last me more than 2 seasons but i get 3 with duct tape.

I tried on most of the usual suspects that people talky about in this forum at backcountry.com in SLC and found all of them to be giant/flat footed/ or hard-boot stiff. If i could get Keen to make a boot id be sold.

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:11 am 

I feel your pain big-footed brethren. I've been holding off getting a pair of the Deelux Sparks for the same reason. Not only is it a bulky boot, but there is also no bevel on the heel and toe (like most snowboard boots) which exacerbates the problem for us Sasquatches. I have heard of people beveling the toe and heel of the soles with good results, this will however decrease some of the edging capability of the boots. I think that I'm going to try to size down a size or two and see if I can't get away with it.

Also, make sure that you have the heel cup extended as far back as it goes on those burners.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 am 

Electricspank wrote:
...deeluxe sparks....size 12.5 ... Wide Solution

I ride size 12 boots.

Wanted to go for the Deeluxe Sparks as well, however once I compared their sole length vs. Burton Drivers or Flow The One/Talon, I went for the latter one. (approx. 15mm shorter, if I remember correctly)

Additionally, the width of the (168W) Solution - what was it, 263mm? - wouldn't have been enough for me, which is why I went for 270mm boards.

So, apart from buying a different board or boots, only option is to increase binding angles drastically...
(regarding to toe/heel drag when riding)

This is what I did on most of my solid boards...
http://www.bildercache.de/anzeige.html? ... 56-495.jpg
...however that's not possible with a Spark binding.

For tour mode however, you could further increase the height by using additional or higher touring risers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 am 

Thanks all for your help and input!

I like the 168W solution a lot and I'm a bit hesitant of adding more parts to by board/bindings but maybe this is the only option. I'll definitely further tune my binding angles.

Currently I'm also in contact with a Fittwell dealer to get a bit more info on the sole length of the new "fitwell backcountry" I read they have a smaller footprint as the Burton driver and Deeluxe. Seems almost too good to be true :-)

- Deeluxe Spark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 am 

I'm not sure if you covered this with "all adjustments to your Burners" but I think the heelcup is removable and can reattach farther back. Burners come with four holes in the baseplate into which the heelcup screws via two screws. The cup itself has two sets of holes. Make sure you are on the aft-most combination of holes to attach your heel cup.
That might to get you back at least 5mm.

Also, perhaps a 15 or 20 mm touring riser? You can cut it out of a white plastic cutting board. That might allow your foot to pivot just a few more degrees over the voile riser. Raising the pivot just a few millimeters translates to much more pivot before the toe bottoms out.

Another would be to glue a shim on the top of the baseplate, like the old Karakorem toe risers.

"I feel your pain." I had a similar problem when I switched to Spark/Deeluxe's. I wish I had stuck with 11.5 and not gone up to 12. Now NONE of my boards fit with the low stance angles I like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:31 pm 

I scanned quickly through this and might have missed it. What about toe ramps?! Adding 1/4-1/2" right at the toe adds quite a bit of pivot while touring, not to mention minimizes your toe drag while riding. I imagine you could also add the touring bracket riser for additional clearance if needed. :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:16 pm 

Chef Ben offers good advice on strategic downsizing. An additional downsizing strategy is to fit and ride boots without sox. Some frown on this but I have done it and it works fine and saves an entire size.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:30 am 

I wear size 12.0 -12.5 and have avoided the Sparks for that reason.
In the past, I wore the 32 TM2. They have a fairly small profile - I really liked these and they lasted for 3 seasons (until they shrunk over a fire one night...).

I just received the Flow Talon and these look like they will work great with my setup/foot size as well.

I rock Lib's and Jones boards in the 156-164 range.
:twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 pm 

I've thought about getting some custom pucks and shifting them a little closer to the toe edge. Then scoot you heel cup back until your big toe is over the pin. The trick would be to position the pucks as so you would remain centered on the board. When touring having the pin more forward es mass efficient any way. Also just adjust the angle of the bindings a little toe forward.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:51 am 

Taylor wrote:
Chef Ben offers good advice on strategic downsizing. An additional downsizing strategy is to fit and ride boots without sox. Some frown on this but I have done it and it works fine and saves an entire size.

You know why people frown on riding without sox? Because boots that smell like a toxic waste dump usually induce involuntary frowning.