Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Higher - Jeremy Jones in Nepal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am 

Obvious gnar and stoke factors aside; It sort of sends a mixed message to rail about no longer wanting to utilize helis for access... if you're using them to film :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:16 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Obvious gnar and stoke factors aside; It sort of sends a mixed message to rail about no longer wanting to utilize helis for access... if you're using them to film :scratch:

They may be using drones to film. A photographer buddy of mine got one late last year. Haven't seen footage yet but they seem like they will do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
They may be using drones to film. A photographer buddy of mine got one late last year. Haven't seen footage yet but they seem like they will do the trick.
Good point, TEX posted some sweet surf footage taken with that technology, pretty badass.
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15756

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm 

They used a helicopter. An Ec350. Made by euro copter. If you view the link to the pics you can see what was used
It would be tough to do this with a multirotor or rc heli. It would just be more gear to lug around

Oh and BTW that rc or euro copter gives TEX a boner. I want just 15 minutes in the pilot seat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm 

i was thinking the same thing about the drones, but i think bg was talking about some of the aerial shots that are from super far away and seem to be from a plane or heli...

a buddy of mine also uses drones for both still and video shoots: there is some aerial footage from the baja 1000 that he shot for monster with a drone on this link: http://kennyblum.com/blog/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

Snurfer wrote:

agreed. i'm done criticizing Jones and his endeavors. I recently reread the thread about them doing the grand guided and my criticism of that. moral of the story is i'm a douche bag that can barely skin to the top of the ridge these days so I don't need to quarterback everything JJ does. And to be honest growing up that dude had a huge influence on my riding. More over i'm stoked to see this film as I really feel it's one of JJ's last projects.
I think they realized to fully capture the footage they need, they had to use heli's, planes, etc... not using them is cute and all and I fully support it, but in this day and age it just isn't viable to be competitive in the film industry. If you go back and watch deeper you can see a huge lack of quality in the film compared to even further and it looks like higher stepped it up a notch. I'm morally torn as I want to support a "smaller" footprint production, but ultimately if i'm paying money to watch something I expect only the highest quality production and footage. I think that is why you have slowly seen the "we don't use heli's" aspect of these films going away. That's the issue with coming out with such a black and white statement from the beginning. At some point your'e gonna have to eat your words.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
Snurfer wrote:

agreed. i'm done criticizing Jones and his endeavors. I recently reread the thread about them doing the grand guided and my criticism of that. moral of the story is i'm a douche bag that can barely skin to the top of the ridge these days so I don't need to quarterback everything JJ does. .

That's Bullshit! Get up on your soap box and talk shit like a MAN! Preferably a man who doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15576

BTW I do agree with your Deeper comments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:
Snurfer wrote:

agreed. i'm done criticizing Jones and his endeavors. I recently reread the thread about them doing the grand guided and my criticism of that. moral of the story is i'm a douche bag that can barely skin to the top of the ridge these days so I don't need to quarterback everything JJ does. .

That's Bullshit! Get up on your soap box and talk shit like a MAN! Preferably a man who doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15576

BTW I do agree with your Deeper comments.

yeah I don't know what got into me.... I need to take that hippie shit to teletips with the rest of those knee-dipping tree fairies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
BGnight wrote:
It's nice to see them using some aerial footage. Are they using hot air balloons or planes do you think? Pretty sure no choppers can fly that high.

I think that peak in nepal is pretty low. (compared to other peaks in the area.) I think I read it was barely 20,000. They can fly helicopters up to 22,000 ft i'm pretty sure. Unless discovery channel lied to me.

There is a video of a guy landing his helicopter on top of everest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:32 am 

Holy shit! ^^^

They must have stripped that thing clean. I kinda hope some skier/boarder drops everest via helicopter with oxygen just to rile up all the purist ninnies :mrgreen:

Everest is such a shit show anyway. I think it'd be hilarious if a heli dropped off a group of snowboarders with saggy pants in front of a bunch of climbers who paid 40k to climb the thing :lol: In fact, I'd rather claim a heli drop than getting drug up the mountain by porters.

As far as filiming with a heli in a film about not using them for access. It's a movie. I want the best footage possible. Deeper was terrible in that regard. They still did it on foot fwiw. If I'm paying for the video I want filming from helis :)

Although I could care less about the "carbon footprint" of using heli's (a complete nonfactor in the world's climate/environmental issues) it's pretty funny given JJ's POW organization (an organization which has evolved into catering to the further marketing of ski/climber athlete's careers and egos for their own monetary benefit and which does nothing tangible except photo ops with politicians)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 am 

I figure any attempt to inform the masses of gas sucking americans and the rest of the world about climate change is worth it. You really can't avoid hipochracy in action or words though in my opinion. Further was pretty sick in the no helis approach to filiming, and this looks sick as well with helis.

I like Jones films because they take you along for the adventure and then blow you away with sick line and stunning terrain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 pm 

Anybody know when this film comes out? They say Fall 2014, but that's a year way???

Osprey Kode 38 Backpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:39 am 

http://live.tetongravity.com/_The-Shangri-La-Expedition-Part-III/blog/6555646/75233.html