Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Spots to splitboard in US
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 pm 

Hey all,

I'm planning on heading to Alaska in March so if anyone has any advise for me going up there it would be great, local spots, tips, things to watch out for that would be great.

I'm planning on doing a short trip in late Jan early Feb to put my gear to the test and explore some new ground wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where it would be good to go that time of the winter. Considering Salt Lake City then heading up through Wyoming into Montana any suggestions on spots to hit? I really want to avoid the resorts but if I can't get some info I will most likely hit the Backcountry but with lift assist to start somewhere. Also considering Washington and messing around Baker possibly drive up to Whistler depending on weather of course. Last time I was in Baker it was Mid March so not sure how conditions are in late Jan. As for Whistler last time I went was mid Feb. Also considering going east but that just seems like another world to me. But hey im open to suggestions. I prefer a day trip so if you do for any shots in mind please let me know the ones I can access in a day not trying to camp out I mean.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Great Spots to splitboard in US
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm 

if it was me I would skip utah, wyoming, montana and head for the PNW/BC. That being said late jan-early February can be the best time for utah blower or cowboy pow in wyoming. You can never go wrong touring around jackson for some eye opening terrain. if you come to salt lake be prepared for the easiest access you've ever had to excellent terrain, but also the most crowded backcountry terrain you've ridden (teton pass is the same if you head to wyoming). A salt lake to bozeman road trip would be killer and a great way to spend a week, however depending on weather- seattle to whistler would be my first choice. But like you i've only been out that way in march so not sure what it's like earlier in the year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:44 pm 

Thank you for the info I was planning on starting in Salt Lake and heading North and ive heard the same thing about the crowds but its nothing compared to the craziness of the resorts plus I have a chance for some untouched powder. And going up to Bozeman Mt sounds amazing I would think taking 89 and 191 north would be the way to go see a lot of possibilities along the way. Only down side is working my way back after its all done to fly out of Salt Lake but definitely worth it seems. I've noticed that WY and MT are not as easily assemble are Utah from what I see any thoughts on that? I don't mind renting a few cats or doing lift assist but would rather just hike/split if possibe.

Thanx again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 am 

How long are you going to be in Alaska, and what part? I'm planning on going to Tailgate Alaska last week of March. I grew up there so I can get sleds and everything, but not knowledgable about area since its been 10 years since I lived there. I was hoping to find some people to go riding with though. Not sure if that time frame works out for you.