Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am 

^^^^Proud SaveOurCanyons member. Hope to see some of you guys at the UAC discussion today as well. Dave your crazy beautiful line. Took a walk in upper lcc yesterday, kind of a late post. Stuck to summer roads. Got a couple rather large collapses on N/NE facing aspects. Lot's of whumpfing through the flats. Pretty easy to feel the facets under the new snow with pole probes as well. Probably could have got away with riding E/ Slight NE today but I stood away from anything that looked to be loaded and was likely sitting on the old snow. Dug around quite a bit and got some fun turns.

~9000, N facing, CT and ECT 22, clean shears not a lot of energy. 30cm new sitting on 30cm old which is the weak layer dust makes it easy to see.
~9500, E/ slight NE, CT 22, pretty clean shear far less energy dug it in the flats cause I didn't want to get too exposed this aspect on the mend, 20cm new on top of 20cm old. Probably could have managed this slope and got away with riding it but it looked loaded to me and I'm in no hurry.
Rode SE today, 30 cm sitting on the ground, no lingering old snow was found.
Riding condition were best on N/NE facing up high where I found supportable snow and decent coverage. Most aspects saw some sun and will most likely be crusty in the morning. Lower elevation snow was thin. That's my observation for first turns of the year...woooohoooo. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:49 am 

Nice work Dave and Nic! :headbang:

Myself, I'm not quite ready to don the clown outfit yet, so I opted for shorts and sneaks to go look at snow.

Went for a walk up Desolation Trail to Neff's pass yesterday. Temps at 7am were in the high forties at the trail head (5,745'). Snow was spotty below 7500' and limited to very shady areas, faceted and sitting on bare ground. As I climbed out of the shade of the canyon temps rose into the mid fifties.

From 7500' to 8000' there was a conssitent 1-3' of facted and/or unconsolidated snow with a thin MF crust. Snow was consistent on aspects of 30° NNE though 330° NNW, overlying about an inch of ice/snow.

Above 8000' temps dropped well into the high thirties (10am). Trail breaking was consistent through 5-8" of good powder overlying about 4" of rotted sugar snow. I noted no instabilities, even up on the high bowl (10K') along the approach to Neff's pass. At the pass into Neff's (8700') the wind was gusting fiercely and snow at the pass (due west) was mostly non-existent. Also of note, the tops of the ridges due west had little, to no snow. No doubt a result of the wind. From this observation point, north facing Neff's and Olympus looked to have about the same snow as I'd just passed through (5-8") perhaps more above 9K' and in sheltered areas.

Being in running shorts and shoes, wind blasting and fresh HUGE cat tracks all around the pass, I opted to back track rather than loop down into to Neff's proper.

Geek stuff....
Aspects E through N
Max Elev 8,756
3,364' of gain and descent
11.4 miles round trip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:27 pm 

Headed back up upper lcc around 1ish. 4 inches of light density snow, winds blowing hard, loading some, scouring most slopes. Variety of surface conditions found. Couldn't resist digging another pit in the same location I did on 11/1 to see what one warm day and one cold night would do to the snowpack.

~9000, N facing, snowstructure remains the same.
Nothing on an ECT, even with some major probing.
Finally got a collapse using a variation of the Saw Propogation Test (PST).
Noticed a group of two put a line down upper N facing. Found pretty good snow despite the winds.
Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm 

11/3 Went up to the Gad 2 area today at the Bird in search of freshies
about 3-4 inches of new, the snow rode fantastic, no crust or bottom feeding, nice fluffy pow on a spongy base
no rocks and nice coverage if your looking to make some cruising turns

winds were gusting about 20-30mph out of the N/NW
snow coverage was great with no other visible tracks in the area

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 am 

Nice work boys! Good looking turns for early in the year. Hey, nice seeing some folks at USAW this weekend.

So, I've got a sitter from 9-3 tomorrow (Tuesday, 11/5). I'll be heading up LCC if anyone wants to get out.

PM if interested. Thanks!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm 

Headed back up to the Bird for round 2 today, wanted to get up on some high north facing stuff to see how the snowpack was holding up. 12:30pm-4:30pm was snowing for most of the day, probably about 2inches of new.

Put in 3 laps on the upper, snow was great. The few extra inches between yesterday and today made for some nice turns.
little bit of color

ECT 26 Q2 shear at about 8" down at my first 3 finger mark. At the interface of the new and older snow. 10K, N.
Overall the snowpack seemed pretty lethargic, I was nervous about the facets but after the pit I couldn't get any failure on the facet layer except if I pried the column forward with my shovel. The facets at the very bottom were getting stronger the facets just under the dirt layer were still a bit sugary. The snow was really stubborn to get any kind of reaction. Was happy with the pit results so I proceeded to the upper bowls, did not observe any instabilities.

Fun turns and good coverage back down to the car. FYI, The bird is making snow, running snowcats and snowmobiles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 am 

FYI, Just read on Snowbird's website that they are now closed to all uphill traffic...Strike while the iron is hot, right? :D

Anyone know when Alta will be closing uphill traffic?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

Mar, I checked Alta's site earlier today with no mention of uphill traffic not allowed. Also, their twitter feed still has mentions of people getting after it still from today. I would assume they still allow uphill traffic. I am thinking of getting out early in the morning and testing that out though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 pm 

Alta was still allowing uphill traffic today.

Short lap in Greeley Bowl, then up to Germania Saddle and down.

Around 25-30 cm./10-12 in. new snow from this last storm. Below about 9500-ish feet, there wasn't much old snow on the ground under the new, so I was still bumping over rocks and such. However, above that, the riding was great on the normally groomed runs coming down from the saddle.

Quick pit on a N/NE aspect around 10000': ECTP23 Q2. Failure at about 15cm from the ground, in the upper bit of the October facets. No surprises, eh?

A couple pics, one of the up, and one ready to drop. Peace!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am 

Alta is primo this AM for a dawn patrol. Was a group ahead of us which surprised me as we met at the pnr at 4:30. There are several pits out there in which people have not filled back in. WTF? I do not understand why you cannot fill your pit back in. The only thing I noted were faceshots and a few rocks. I will be curious to see how the facets play out this season.

I talked to an employee on the way up. He said Alta is shooting for a 22nd opening. He did not know how long they will allow uphill access though. Here is to everyone getting some. :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am 

Snowvols wrote:
There are several pits out there in which people have not filled back in. WTF? I do not understand why you cannot fill your pit back in.

Ha, I wonder if that was me? :scratch: Were you up near Germania Saddle? I definitely left a couple holes in the snow below Sugarloaf Pk, but there was no riding above them, so I didn't really think much of it. That's why we want to fill them in, right? So someone doesn't come blasting down a slope and fall into one...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 pm 

KR wrote:
Snowvols wrote:
There are several pits out there in which people have not filled back in. WTF? I do not understand why you cannot fill your pit back in.

Ha, I wonder if that was me? :scratch: Were you up near Germania Saddle? I definitely left a couple holes in the snow below Sugarloaf Pk, but there was no riding above them, so I didn't really think much of it. That's why we want to fill them in, right? So someone doesn't come blasting down a slope and fall into one...

Haha no these were by baldy, I believe, just on the face with tracks on either side of them. I never worry about pits unless it looks like good terrain around them. As someone that has fallen in frozen pits on white out days it isn't fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:56 pm 

This last storm filled things in pretty nice. Ive been getting after it this week. Less and less rocks each time. I have found 2 to 4 inches of buried facets on every high north facing slope and experienced some localized collapsing the other day near Brighton that made us feel uneasy about the slope we were on. But good bottomless turns everyday. North and East are riding like its mid winter up high. It would be nice to get some more coverage down low so it doesn't suck so much getting back to the truck though. But its only early November...

From today

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next