Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noboar n00b
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:52 pm 

I'm looking to join the noboard society but I don't really know where to look for one or really even what to look for. So alas I will post here in hopes of receiving some advice from someone who knows their shit. I don't want anything too expensive since we don't get a lot of pow days here in interior AK so I'm not sure as to how much it will get used initially.

So I guess my real question is where do I look and is there anything I should stay away from?

Post subject: Re: Noboard n00b
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 pm 

Hey,

I'm also interested, i was gonna try just some foam and grip tape on an old board to see what its like. I suppose stomp pads would do.

What are you looking for in your noboard design?

If my board turns when i have bindings why won't it turn without bindings.

Ben

Post subject: Re: Noboar n00b
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am 

if you guys just want to go the diy route, get some foam grip or spikes from one of the snowskate manufacturers. Spikes actually come from AK. the company http://www.gripallusa.com/ has extreme sheets that are just perfect for not attracting snow but also giving your feet really good purchase. they are heavier though then foam grip. skateboard grip tape is terrrible. stomp pads will work but will be a lot more expensive then a sheet of grip 15.00. spikes are 50.00 for a pack

if you want to get into it a bit more use an old snowboard and cut a swallow tail, which will allow you to jam down the tail easier since you can't lift up on your front binding to raise the nose. Your stance will probably not be over the inserts but more towards the back of the sub.

to rope or not? up to you really its a free country but not quite as free feeling with a rope. helps with drops though theysay

grassroots makes some really fun ones, that's what I have. Eraboards from sweden has some interesting looking set ups. Wolle's asemo surfs are legendary. You could just buy a noboard pad from cholo and that's probably the cheapest way to get after it.

Lots of different ways to ditch the bindings. depends on where you live. bideck powskates can handle a wide range of conditions from icy to blower. Pow surfs need soft snow to have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 am 

Venture makes the Euphoria and the Pow pig which look like they'd be pretty sick for noboarding. Check out their site at http://venturesnowboards.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:44 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Venture makes the Euphoria and the Pow pig which look like they'd be pretty sick for noboarding. Check out their site at http://venturesnowboards.com/

I'd stay away from snowboard companies and follow the guys who actually pow surf alot and build there own stuff. IMO grassroots!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:12 am 

chiller wrote:
shredgnar wrote:

I'd stay away from snowboard companies and follow the guys who actually pow surf alot and build there own stuff. IMO grassroots!!

Umm, I'm pretty sure Venture makes their own boards and ride them themselves. Grassroots are nice too, just depends on what you are looking for. If you want to start an argument about which boards are better, I'm out. I was just throwing out options.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 am 

Circuit in the middle with spikes. board has a wider nose then tail, back foot rides just in front of the swallow tail cut out. Foam on the grass roots. feet ride on the back 1/4 of the board, tail tapers on both grassroots. shark powsurfs is another option if you want to support a builder in the northwest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 am 

shredgnar wrote:
chiller wrote:
shredgnar wrote:

Umm, I'm pretty sure Venture makes their own boards and ride them themselves. Grassroots are nice too, just depends on what you are looking for. If you want to start an argument about which boards are better, I'm out. I was just throwing out options.

nobinding riding is a small but loyal community, the builders build in garages after work. by supporting these guys you help the community more.

your right no reason to argue about which one is better

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:26 pm 

I ride a NoFish and have tried other options.

chiller wrote:
skateboard grip tape is terrrible.

^x2
Covering you board with stomp pads is possible and not as effective as spikes, a foam pad, or NoPad.
Since this is a Split forum, check out Almond Manufacturing and their split option.

chiller wrote:
to rope or not?

I recommend having a rope. It's better to have it and not use it than vice versa.
More importantly, make a leash. These things really fly downhill way better by themselves than with me.

Chef_Ben wrote:
If my board turns when i have bindings why won't it turn without bindings.
There's a million and a half reasons why it doesn't turn without bindings when and where you want it to. That's part of the fun. It's like watercolor paintings; you're constantly improvising. Go with the flow.

If you don't want to be limited to pow days, I recommend a board with an edge and a normal radius. I can use my NoFish in shorts and a Tee on mashed potato corn. AFAIK you can't do that with Grassroots or an Euphoria.

At first, don't bother going out without at least four inches of fresh pow. The better you get, the less you need. It's really hard at first without some stuff to bit into.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 am 

dog leash or rope in the pocket