Which Board
Poll ended at Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am
Arbor Abacus 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Jones Solution 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Lib Tech Rice 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: First Splitboard
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am 

I know this questions gets asked alot, but need some help. My current snowboards are a 159 altered genetics, 161.5 Travis Rice HP, 162 Brando By Lando. I am 5'10" 210lbs, with size 10 feets. With all that said what would be a good first splitboard for me? I have been looking at the Arbor Abacus, Jones Solution, Lib Tech T Rice Split. I will mostly be riding around Banff/Kananaskis area. Any Recomendations/Tips?

Post subject: Re: First Splitboard
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 pm 

Can you tell us more about your riding style, flex preferences, and skill level?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:27 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Can you tell us more about your riding style, flex preferences, and skill level?

My riding Style is all mountain freeride. I go to the park everyonce in awhile on my way down to the pub, but not much. Mostly into riding the "big mountain stuff" and everyonce in awhile throwing a trick in. As for my felx preferances I perfer a stiffer board like the T Rice HP, but not as stiff as a Custom X. As for skill level I would consider myself advance. I feel comfortable riding all the run at the big powder resorts (Kicking Hores, Revelstoke, Fernie) and have done a heli trip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm 

riding style
so will you be going switch or no? What kind of angles are we talking about. How fast will you be going? How much air (in feet)? Do you make the mountain your bitch, or are you more like water flowing downhill, or does the mountain make you its' bitch?
flex preference
more specifics; lets talk nose, tail, and middle. There's a wealth of info here but in order to get you what you need we'll need details.
Skill level
from your description it sounds like intermediate. I'm not tying to be a dick but for me (at least) everyone who's splitting can handle whatever is at a resort. We need more specifics about what you can and can't do.

Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is the information people will need to get you a useful recommendation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 am 

peacefrog wrote:
riding style
so will you be going switch or no? What kind of angles are we talking about. How fast will you be going? How much air (in feet)? Do you make the mountain your bitch, or are you more like water flowing downhill, or does the mountain make you its' bitch?
flex preference
more specifics; lets talk nose, tail, and middle. There's a wealth of info here but in order to get you what you need we'll need details.
Skill level
from your description it sounds like intermediate. I'm not tying to be a dick but for me (at least) everyone who's splitting can handle whatever is at a resort. We need more specifics about what you can and can't do.

Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is the information people will need to get you a useful recommendation

As for my Riding Style I would concider All mountain/free ride. I ride switch every once in awhile, mostly when I land from a jump or a drop(0-20' max 30'ish). I try and hit as many natural features on the way down. As for speed I like to charge the mountain, but not too fast so I don't blow pass all the features to jib off of. In an open bow I ride fast but carve hard.
Been Riding for 18 years, I am only 29. I concider myself Advance, I can keep up with the best of them.
As for flex out of a 1-10 scale I pefer 6.5-7 flex. Perfer a Wide Nose 30-31CM, Waist 25.5-26CM, Tail 28.5-31. As for shape I perfer a Direction twin/Tapered. As for set back I would like 1-2.5 "
Hope I provided enough information, let me know if you need more. BTW I don't think you are being a dick.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am 

I vote for Venture!!! Not in your list but they make fine splitboards.

If your a Canuck, I would buy Prior and keep your loonies local...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:05 am 

Lots of options for factory splits these days :thumpsup: . You could just split your own, the inside edge really isn't necessary and you have a choice of any used,clearance or old board out there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 pm 

I would get something made in US or Canada. And since I have heard about some issues with Prior, it would be Never Summer, Venture, Lib... I think there are other choices too, from smaller companies.

edited to add -
I undertand that the poster is a strong rider and this is not relevant for him, but wanted to say for anyone else who may stumble on a post researching first splitbpard: there's certainly no need to be an advanced rider to get out into the bc. There's so much mellow angles and easy approaches that can be enjoyed at an intermediate level! But you need to be prepared and educated, find a mentor, take a class, etc.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:44 am 

Thanks for all the information. Still trying to decide on a board. As of now looking at the arbor or the solution. Going checkout a few other bands.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

No reason to jump the gun on spending he dough on a split before you ride it. Each board you listed is very different and you will not be satisfied with a purchase that large without putting some snow under the boards your are looking at.

We always recommend DIY boards for a first splt, the cost is much less and you can take an already favorite deck to cut. It's hard to know what you want if you havnt been out on a splitboard before. They really are a different catagory than standard decks. The riding is only half the equasion! Haha