Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nitro Snowboards have a splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 pm 

Definitely want to demo this Chimera! Would take it out around WA :D

I rock Sparks for bc boarding but have a set of AT Scarpas that *should* work with this setup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
JimmyC wrote:
Singlewhitecaveman, do you have any idea if that Chimera will become available to the buying public? That would be welcome addition to the quiver---and an interesting change of pace from my Unicorn Chaser.

We're going to work on the width some more, and maybe have it for a late-season release. This has been in the works for several years now. If we get it to where we feel ready we'll introduce it into our demo program for this year.

Sorry, I don't mean to de-rail this thread. :roll:

Oh, please don't work too much on the width - I have set all my hopes for finally finding a 28+ cm splitboard on that board.......

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:21 pm 

The chimera board and Adam's bubble-bobble board (I just don't know the name of it) look like you could hack about 3 cm off the tip and tail. Would doing that really effect the float??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 pm 

Only $550 for the Nitro split, although that doesn't include hardware. I might grab one for the springtime, seems to be my only option for a split with camber and no early rise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm 

Rode the Thunder 162 in-bounds today. About 1/2" new snow but mostly icy groomers. Very squiggly at low speeds, started feeling more stable as speed picked up. Quick to turn in bumps, probably quick to turn in trees as well. Held well on steeper thin-pack/ice. Felt flimsy though.

I think I need to adjust my pucks so the sliders require more force to slide on. Also I am on the board's widest holes, I can widen the bindings on the sliders and move the pucks in. I'm also on sliders/regular SB bindings, I've heard split-specific bindings help the board feel more solid. I already have split crampons that only work with the sliders though, so I might not be picking up Sparks this season. Very directional board, not much tail.

Overall I was happy with it, it's going to Alaska in a month and a half! My in-bounds board is a 157 Rome Anthem (regular camber) and my split has been a 162 K2 Panoramic (hybrid).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 am 

ringdings_and_pepsi wrote:
Rode the Thunder 162 in-bounds today. About 1/2" new snow but mostly icy groomers. Very squiggly at low speeds, started feeling more stable as speed picked up. Quick to turn in bumps, probably quick to turn in trees as well. Held well on steeper thin-pack/ice. Felt flimsy though.

I think I need to adjust my pucks so the sliders require more force to slide on. Also I am on the board's widest holes, I can widen the bindings on the sliders and move the pucks in. I'm also on sliders/regular SB bindings, I've heard split-specific bindings help the board feel more solid. I already have split crampons that only work with the sliders though, so I might not be picking up Sparks this season. Very directional board, not much tail.

Overall I was happy with it, it's going to Alaska in a month and a half! My in-bounds board is a 157 Rome Anthem (regular camber) and my split has been a 162 K2 Panoramic (hybrid).

If you're spending the money on an Alaska trip I'd highly recommend trying to scrape together enough cash for any split specific binding. makes a huge difference. My first season on my DIY was with slider plates and I got to borrow my friends sparks on an afternoon solo run just off sidecounty. First time on his bindings, I think I even put them on backwards, and I was LOVING the run down. Made such a difference. (I have Voile's for myself, which ride just as good).

Have fun in Alaska, that's at the top of my bucket list. Keep an eye on the avalanche forecasts, I was talking to a heli guide a couple weeks back and he was saying the lower elevation stuff is going to be a sketch due to all the warmth they had early season. I hope it improves or is better than he was making it out to be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:08 pm 

make sure the tipclip screws are tightened, they are not flanged into place like on a DIY or K2 panoramic. i lost one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm 

The Nitro split kicked ass in AK. Very light, skins great. On my heli day I rode it over my solid.

Not sure about long term durability, especially on CO spring hardpack, but great powder board. Very poppy and playful but doesn't feel soft or noodley.