Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DEEP day in Northern Utah...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:08 am 

Hey All.
Had another epic weekend in the Bear River Range here in Northern Utah. Local resort only reported 4" on top of somewhat crusty snow. We decided to head out into the backcountry to play in the 'dust on crust' but we found about 18" of light happy fluff. :lol:

Snowmobiled about 10 miles of the approach and couldn't see anything due to continual face shots. It was rough, but somebody had to do it.

Sorry, still don't know how to upload photos, so I'll just add my link to webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/546923806fXcSlb

p.s. My husband drilled out his Burton board and put Voile hardware on it. It was great... even with a few swiss cheese holes!

Post subject: Bummer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:36 am 

Man, that looks rough. Now I'm even more pissed I didn't get out this weekend. Where were you guys at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 am 

We were on Chicken Hill near White Pine Knob... Tony Grove area.

I checked out your vid. Pretty nice. Looks like you guys were the ones laying down the nice lines just east of Beaver Mountain on those west facing slopes about a week ago. We were envious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:07 pm 

Wow...great stuff! Way to get 'er done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm 

Yeah, A few of those tracks oppostie the beav were mine. How did you make that area a 10 mi approach? Do you go in from Tony and up and around? It's not a bad ski straight up bunchgrass (no snomo though). Did you see any of those slides that were in the Avy Reports, and how was the overall stability? This and the next set of storms has me worried that our so far incredably stable winter will take a turn for the worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:18 pm 

We just took our sleds up Tony Grove road and in on the White Pine Lake trail. Yeah, we're slackers...

We were actually a little concerned about stability that day with the large amount of new snow on top of a little surface hoar. Pits and tests showed moderate stability, so we decided to keep it on mellower terrain... thus, Chicken Hill! We ran into Toby Weed (local forecaster) on our last run and skinned up with him. Helped him kick off a couple of cornices and watched them run a little way. We rode the bowl just north of where Toby's first picture was taken.

Stability this year has been pretty awesome. We dropped some lines just west of Tony Grove Lake and off of Magog on Monday that I never would normally think about. Epic snow, and probably as stable as I've seen in a while. Looks like things probably will change with a little wind and new snow. The snow on Saturday was about as light as it gets. Won't take much wind to move it around.

Hey, maybe we'll see you out rippin' it up sometime. We usually have a crew of 6. Most of us (o.k. just the girls) are pretty loud. Usually easy to find! We're very vocal about our powder!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:17 pm 

looks EPIC! :D