Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone ridden Jones Solution/flagship and Hovercraft?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm 

I just wonder how much difference there is between them?
People seem to rave about the solutions float in pow and the hovercrafts strength on the groomers, which I find a bit confusing.
Whos got the good oil?

Post subject: Re: Anyone ridden Jones Solution/flagship and Hovercraft?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 pm 

I've got a Flagship (solid Solution) and a Hovercraft, what do you want to know? Both of those statements are true, yet they are very different boards. Both boards absolutely RIP in their strengths, and are very good in each other's "territory."

The nose is the most similar of the two, with the Hovercraft feeling like there is more rocker in the nose and a corresponding increase in powder performance.

The Hover performs well on a groomer, but the added width does slow it down side-side in comparison to the Flagship - which rails!

The tail is the most different, with the Hover having a very stiff, short tail and the Flag having more rocker. They both have their benefits: Flag in releasing turns, but suffering on ollie power - Hover in keeping you out of the back seat and strong ollie power, but maybe a bit catchy on turn finish on groomers (but excellent in powder). I'd prefer a stiffer tail on the Flagship, but it is a minor minor complaint.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Flag in releasing turns, but suffering on ollie power - Hover in keeping you out of the back seat and strong ollie power

+1

i have a solution and a hovy split - they both kick ass!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm 

Thanks guys, thats a great summary titledworld. I have had my eye on the Hovercraft split but can't find one in any shops in Europe. The Solution is easy enough to find, and quite a bit cheaper here too.

I have picked up a Viole swallowtail split and was looking for something a little more versatile, still geared toward powder but that can handle those tricky situations where you have to stop and take stock.

The Solution seems like it should have that but everyone says the Hovy is much more versatile than it should be, so it's hard to know if I would find myself wishing I had the bidirectionality of the solution or the pow slaying Hovercraft.

I've had my heart set on the Hovercraft split, it's just that with a swallowtail already in my quiver I thought it might make more sense to get a slightly more versatile board as my main splitter.

I have a Lando Phoenix for resorts and slackcountry, so when I take off skinning, it's to get to good snow, where either would be plenty of fun.

How does the Hovercraft handle switch in pow? I mean just when you need to ride backwards to get out or around an obstacle, I don't mean landing jumps or carving fakie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 pm 

Jomas wrote:
The Solution seems like it should have that but everyone says the Hovy is much more versatile than it should be, so it's hard to know if I would find myself wishing I had the bidirectionality of the solution or the pow slaying Hovercraft.

I've had my heart set on the Hovercraft split, it's just that with a swallowtail already in my quiver I thought it might make more sense to get a slightly more versatile board as my main splitter.

How does the Hovercraft handle switch in pow? I mean just when you need to ride backwards to get out or around an obstacle, I don't mean landing jumps or carving fakie.

Hover switch: I haven't ridden it switch much, I'm not sure you would like to much, other than to back up and get around something. The tail is not very high. I've done it on a groomer to see if possible and it is, but not all that fun. The stiff blunted tail does allow you to dig it in though right up to your binding quite easily, then leverage it and flip around easily to change direction. I've done that several times and works quite well when getting out of a jam.

I think the Hover is pretty damn versatile for a powder board, but I wouldn't think I would completely substitute it for all conditions. The Solution is a better "all conditions" board. I will say this though, I have the solid Hover60 and I will most probably be selling it to get a Hover60 split next season to make sidecountry pow days accessible on the same board and deeep snow days in the bc better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 am 

so what tends to be your go-to board for a day in the BC when you know you're going to have mixed conditions (ie. not all nice deep pow)? i love my solution split, am debating whether to add a hover split to the quiver - will i really use it that often? (i don't have the luxury of just going out on pow days).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm 

kingston484 wrote:
so what tends to be your go-to board for a day in the BC when you know you're going to have mixed conditions (ie. not all nice deep pow)? i love my solution split, am debating whether to add a hover split to the quiver - will i really use it that often? (i don't have the luxury of just going out on pow days).

I would say the Solution. I swapped my hover for a hover split over the summer more as a means to replace my in-bounds powder stick for the split version. My home mtn is Alpine/Squaw and being able to rip a pow day inbounds then use it as a split to access the hike to + sidecountry via the ridge lines was my goal. If I am headed for a full day in the BC, I would grab the Solution.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:43 pm 

Yeah, as fun and surfy as the Hovercraft is, and as capable as it is in many different snow conditions, I would definitely choose the Solution. It's just more versatile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am 

I am curious in what condition the solution betters the hovy. Is it on hard pack/steep terrain?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:37 pm 

I'm 175lbs - 5'9" - 8.5 mens boot - roughly without gear - this number can easily jump 10 lbs. I purchased the Hovercraft first year out and didn't like it for a couple of reason: board didn't rock from heel to toe that well for me (it felt to wide), I couldn't get it outa my head - a 156 is too short for powder, and it felt like it needed more sidecut. I would suggest you try it for yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.

Since then - I purchased a carbon Solution