Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleece or Primaloft Jacket???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm 

Do you still wear fleece for a mid-layer or do you use a Primaloft Jacket (Mountain Hardwear Compressor Jacket) or Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody (or Jacket) or Patagonia Down Sweater?

Looking to shed some more weight and pack-ability, while still having a breathable mid-layer for touring and skinning up the mountain.

Currently I have the Patagonia Nano Vest. Also I carry Down parka for really cold days and lunch breaks.

What do you like/recommend?

Post subject: Re: Fleece or Primaloft Jacket???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:37 pm 

I typically run a Patagonia R1 Hoody with a Nano-Puff vest on top, remove the vest when it gets warm, put it back on when it gets cold. Fast, simple, And looks pretty steezy as it is a vest... :disco:

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm 

Just bought the patagonia apastron hoody on sale, 70% discount.
Normally i wear fleece but going to try primaloft puffy whenever the mountains crave. Feel like 200g is too warm to skin in. Have some patagonia polartec softshell to skin in, but cannot bring that and gore tex shell jacket?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm 

imo, its a trade-off: breath-ability vs. water/wind protection.

fleece: great for layering, breath-ability.
nano-hoody: great for layering on cold days, extra-insulation for your pack, or even as an outer-layer on warmer/drier days

or, you could choose the middle of the road with the nano puff hybrid. you can steal grab last year's model in some pretty fluorescent colors - a better model imo, as it has more R2 fleece vs. nano, than this year's (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/men ... ?p=83320-1).

Nothing beats the R1 Hoody though!!!

Pataguch should be paying me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 pm 

Marmot makes a couple layers with Polartec Alpha. It's a lightweight synthetic insulation, but designed to be much more breathable. From getting a close look at the product and talking with some of the reps, it seems to be the best of both worlds. Cost is about the same as a Patagonia down sweater.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm 

wasatchfreeride84093:
Quote:
I typically run a Patagonia R1 Hoody with a Nano-Puff vest on top, remove the vest when it gets warm, put it back on when it gets cold. Fast, simple, And looks pretty steezy as it is a vest...

So a lightweight fleece is right for me.

I hear what you are saying with the R1 Hoody. I too wear a light weight merino wool hoody and the Nano Vest. So adding the R1 or the hybrid is the way to go for me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 am 

R1 + a good synthetic layer in the pack for cold lunch breaks, and riding. The great thing about the R1 is it's breathability. I have the hoody but would probably get the non hoody next time because I rarely use the hood and it just gathers snow. I don't use down for any activity where I might be sweating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am 

shredgnar wrote:
The great thing about the R1 is it's breathability. I have the hoody but would probably get the non hoody next time because I rarely use the hood and it just gathers snow.

I would agree with all of this with one caveat, I have used the hood when ice climbing/mountaineering but rarely if I am using it for split trips.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm 

All your great feedback for the R1 made me go and pickup last years full zip on 70% discount.
Hope it is as good as you say =)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:44 pm 

Heads up w/Patagonia. They make sweet gear and in my experience, items that are long enough for me (6' tall w/broad shoulders) are cut for blokes way thicker than me.
I got some sweat-wicking base layer tops that are too baggy. The arm holes are HUGE and don't draw sweat away from my pits which after a few days causes chafing. When I tried on a medium, the arm length and shoulders weren't long enough.
Don't get me wrong. They are great where they fit; I stay cool and dry. But between biking, hiking, running, and boarding, I wear them enough I am seriously thinking of taking them to a taylor. *grumbles* But that negates the sweet end-of-season discount I bought them for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm 

I got a black diamond polartec hoodie for fall mountain biking. The wicking ability of this stuff is insane. It's not very cozy (wind penetrates it) but it's kept my body cool and dry as opposed to damp and frigid. It took me a few trips to really trust it because it breathes almost too much. It's true that this jacket will be wetter on the outside than the inside after a good sweat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm 

i've got an REI 1/4 zip fleece. no hood with thumb holes. smartwool base layer with that... money. sometimes i'd go with the R1 with a thicker base layer on. and lastly, i love hoodies. not always the best choice but i really enjoy a hooded top. my next purchase will be a primaloft nano packable puff jacket. with a hood. side note, ibex just came out with a version called woolaire. costs lotsa green backs though..

168W Solution Split
Spark R & D Blaze
Malamutes