Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 am 

Riding pipe will improve all aspects of your riding. I have always thought riding pipe is the hardest aspect of snowboarding (yes even more so than the BC) It teaches you true edge control and body positioning. Good pipe riders like an icy pipe, cambered board, stiff boots and sharp edges. A lot of mediocre riders can get down gnarly lines, but it looks goofy. Standing up tall, scraping snow off the lips of cliffs and down the steeps is bad style. "The Park" will teach you to stay low and centered over the board. I love jibbing tree trunks and fallen trees in the BC. :lol: One of the best sounds in the BC is my board bonking some stump! ha ha I look forard to snow! Oh yea and if you bomb a cliff and get bucked in the landing, knowing how to ride switch can help ya pull it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:13 am 

Peace out peace man! :D

"Since when is being efficient stylish?"

I have ridden with CK... and I would call his riding style relaxed and efficient. And, certainly, I do believe that being relaxed and efficient is way more stylish than adding unneccesary body movements to your riding for the sake of some kind of "STEEZ".
But, style is, and should be, a personal thing, and I am totally in favor of riders developing their own personal approach to riding, rather than trying to adopt some archetypal "STEEZ" because someone on the Interwebs said it is good.
As you note, I have no interest in debating equipment choice here. I hope that riders choose the gear which works best for them, and advancing there own personal definition of style.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am 

barrows wrote:
As you note, I have no interest in debating equipment choice here. I hope that riders choose the gear which works best for them, and advancing there own personal definition of style.

Noooooo! Sounds like we are starting to wear you down Barrows. Your post count ratio will certainly decline and you will become a shadow of your former self. I have a pair of Now bindings with no highbacks I'll let you borrow. You just need some Sorels and the transformation will be complete. ;)

But seriously, since this is a very serious thread. I'm gonna go steeze out at the Basin in a few. I'll report back if I see any hardboot steezoids out there. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 am 

Mike: I said "here" meaning in this thread :wink: . I like discussing style ("steez", not so much, as I feel that word connotes an affected style rather than a natural one, ie, if you have to try to have "steez" you probably do not).
No need to loan me any bindings, my first snowboard (after Snurfers) was a Sims 1500 FE, it had bindings with no highback at all and Fastex buckles for straps. I rode it with both sneakers, and Sorels at first. That is, stock Sorels with the felt liners. Perfect boots for No Boarding...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 am 

barrows wrote:
Mike: I said "here" meaning in this thread :wink: . I like discussing style ("steez", not so much, as I feel that word connotes an affected style rather than a natural one, ie, if you have to try to have "steez" you probably do not).
No need to loan me any bindings, my first snowboard (after Snurfers) was a Sims 1500 FE, it had bindings with no highback at all and Fastex buckles for straps. I rode it with both sneakers, and Sorels at first. That is, stock Sorels with the felt liners. Perfect boots for No Boarding...

Yeah, you got in slightly ahead of me. Baseless Morrow bindings (with short backs) and some burton freestyle boots. I wish I still had those boots. They were the best boots ever. I could skate in them. Just bought my first pair of Sorels last year, but hope to ride in the back yard soon. But now I'm gonna go shred some cord!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 am 

The only thing that will improve your riding skills......is riding.
I say that because I have been riding the BC only for about 4 years now and because I live so far from snow it has really cut down on my riding skills.
When I started splitting I had a strong ridng set of skills ( well for me anyway) due to ski patrol and lots of free riding.
It doesnt even take big lines or big peaks. Nothing will Improve your skills like riding crap all the time. If you ride hard Icy crap you will excell in crap.
In fact, soak up all the crap snow you can.
And this doesnt stop at splitting or snowboarding. Its any activity that takes a skill. The more you do it the better you will become.
Guys like Tony Hawk and Shawn White are good at what they do for two reasons. Natural talent and, whats just as big ..plebnty of time to develope their abilities to the fullest because that becomes their job

I grew up in Houston . Not much snow or surf so we skated. Every day all day. Thats how you get good.

Now, as far as park riding.......start small. Wear wrist guards, helmet and some hip/back protection. Find a straitforward jump any size you like and learn to land. Land strait. With equal weight across your stance. Then go a little faster. Try to go further each time. Then once you have that down go to something bigger

And if you find yourself resort riding with a group thats slower or less skilled that you, ride switch.
Riding switch is a good tool to have when needed along with the ability to jump and land and also strait line it as pointed out

Now go out there and get some air

And as far as arms out, Barrows thats how we tell who came from Surfing or skating here.Surfing will make you more of a spead wing rider just because it takes more carve in the water than on land and thats a tough habit to get away from

besides, Mark Richards did it all the way to a 4 time world championship

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 pm 

TEX: all good points. When I say try to keep the arms low, I do not mean try and pin the arms down at your arms down at your sides at all times. My point is that by keeping your arms low most of the time, you are in a ready position to react to the challenges presented to you by maneuvers and conditions.
I suspect surfers have their arms extended more because just surfing a wave in trim, in a straight line is hella challenging on its own, much more so than snowboarding pow...
And I would never question the style of a guy like MR, a consumate style master if there ever was one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

I always get pinned at the skatepark "look at the old surfer dude" :)

I really try not to have them out like that though. It does look bad

But, old habits are hard to break

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:01 pm 

It helps me out with jump turns for sure, and in tight situations and on the out track pumping through the woods.

I will challenge any of you in a jib off in my my hard boots and I gaurentee you i will win.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm 

Bit of a funny thread. Just depends on what turns you on and what you want to be better at. What do you want to be better at?

If you watch clips of Terje or Nico Muller and an effortless method or backside 3 off an interesting transition sends a shiver up your spine and makes you think "God! I want to be able to do that, how GOOD must that FEEL?!?!" then spend some time in the park and get the aerial awareness.

If you watch Tom Burt or Gilles Voirol flowing like water and drawing beautiful lines in tricky stuff, and THAT really does it for you, seek out interesting lines and really study from the bottom and the top, plan a cool line, and try to stick to it. Take a tip from Craig Kelly and imagine throwing a snowball down the slope and think about what line gravity would take it through the features and transitions, and use that.

If you watch Xavier de La Rue and Jeremy Jones "billy goating down steep death" and really want that ultimate board control... I don't know... go racing for a few years?

Second the points about pipe riding and tranny pumping for speed. Boarder cross would be a decent shout too. Edge control, reading transitions, picking a line, comfort with speed and time in the air...

(This from a guy who also has next to zero steez, would quite like some, but can never muster enough enthusiasm for the park and would rather keep the flow than spoil it by trying spins.)

Edit: you can judge me as you like from the arms in the profile pic!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm 

nedrapier wrote:
Bit of a funny thread. Just depends on what turns you on and what you want to be better at. What do you want to be better at?

If you watch clips of Terje or Nico Muller and an effortless method or backside 3 off an interesting transition sends a shiver up your spine and makes you think "God! I want to be able to do that, how GOOD must that FEEL?!?!" then spend some time in the park and get the aerial awareness.

If you watch Tom Burt or Gilles Voirol flowing like water and drawing beautiful lines in tricky stuff, and THAT really does it for you, seek out interesting lines and really study from the bottom and the top, plan a cool line, and try to stick to it. Take a tip from Craig Kelly and imagine throwing a snowball down the slope and think about what line gravity would take it through the features and transitions, and use that.

If you watch Xavier de La Rue and Jeremy Jones "billy goating down steep death" and really want that ultimate board control... I don't know... go racing for a few years?

Second the points about pipe riding and tranny pumping for speed. Boarder cross would be a decent shout too. Edge control, reading transitions, picking a line, comfort with speed and time in the air...

(This from a guy who also has next to zero steez, would quite like some, but can never muster enough enthusiasm for the park and would rather keep the flow than spoil it by trying spins.)

Edit: you can judge me as you like from the arms in the profile pic!

Nicely put. Good to see Gilles Voirol getting a mention. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm 

Glad it made some sort of sense!

I've got an O'Neil promo DVD from a while back, not long after Gilles Voirol died. There's quite a bit of Gian Simmen for starters (which I always have to watch x32 because there are no chapters!) then 9, 10 minutes of Gilles shredding big lines in Alaska and Bella Coola. Beautiful style, beautiful, big lines, taken pretty fucking fast! No Terje in the air, but he drops a cliff and make it look like it wasn't there.

RIP indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
It helps me out with jump turns for sure, and in tight situations and on the out track pumping through the woods.

I will challenge any of you in a jib off in my my hard boots and I gaurentee you i will win.

Really? I got some beers, that says I can still jib with the best of em :guinness:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next