Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jones Solution, any lingering quality issues?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm 

I was also concerned after reading about the quality issues. So, I decided to get the 13-14 Solution 161 at REI bc if it sucked I can return it no questions asked. I haven't rode it yet but so far so good...no quality issues whatsoever :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 am 

Since last year (2012-13), Jones boards are not made in Tunisia anymore (they're made in EU, I think in Austria now)

I've had quite a few (old) Jones boards and while they rode well, quality sucked - top sheet peeling away, delaminating, stamped base stuck on the skins etc.

I've had 2 2012-2013 Jones splitboards:
- Jones Solution
- Jones Solution carbon

Well, the qualities issues are gone, beside the topsheet graphic that can still be off-centered, they look like they're out of a high quality factory - and after ~60 days of abuse, they do not show any signs of defects...

My board is now the carbon solution and it's the best splitboard I've ever ridden - this is the stiffest board I could find (I'm used to BX boards) and it's the perfect board for _stable_ high speed runs.

The Venture Odin is also a great board (I spent 2 days on it) but so far all the other splitboards I've tested sucked (Voilé: ST178, Mojo, Mojo RX - Burton: S Series, Freebird - Atomic: Poacher - K2: Panoramic).

This year, they're quite a few new players... but for this season, I'll keep my carbon solution and wait for you guys to test the new stuff :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 am 

mike_man wrote:
I was also concerned after reading about the quality issues. So, I decided to get the 13-14 Solution 161 at REI bc if it sucked I can return it no questions asked. I haven't rode it yet but so far so good...no quality issues whatsoever :lol:

You do know that REI has changed their return policy right? It don't mean Return Every Item no more. That's a deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:54 pm 

You can return a splitboard, it just needs to be within one year. :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:06 pm 

I purchased a 2012-13 Jones Solution 158 last year (the light blue model). Compared to my older Prior boards, I found the Solution to be superior in almost all respects except durability (Jones needs to make a more durable topsheet). Anyway, the Solution was great on both hardpack and powder. After about 5 days in the backcountry, I started using it as my resort board.. Last winter, I put about 20 days on it in the backcountry and five at the resort.

I did notice a gap issue between the two halves - the gap between them seemed to grow over time. I took the Solution out in mid-October and due to the gap, the board didn't feel as responsive. I thought it might have been an issue with the K-clips (K-clip tension was weak in the fully closed position), but the gap remained more or less.

Last week I returned the Jones Solution to REI. During that same visit, I looked at the 2013-14 Jones line. The gaps seemed very tight and closed, not like the last years model. I'm not sure if I'll get another Solution given the topsheet and durability. Your board will get marked up every time you clack your skis together while touring. But, I would consider it. That being said, the new K2 Ultrasplit looked good. If I got that I'd probably get the new adjustable tension K-clips to replace the Voile hooks. But those Voile hooks really seemed to hold that Ultrasplit together!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:56 am 

It is ok , 1mm gap or more between two halves on the magne zone,like in this jones video?

http://vimeo.com/77674342

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:45 am 

I could comment on the Jones quality control of there new boards....

I have 30+ days on my 13/14 jones mountain twin 161, first off this shape kicks ASS! I love everything about it and it is shredable in any type of condition, PERIOD

the quality on the other hand is silly... I bought this board from a store selling them, basically at cost which is the only way it makes sense.(<600$) splitboards are overpriced.

First off the tip clip was a joke, they pinched the rivet so tight that it wouldn't allow the clip to slide in, It would go half way down then needed to be filed down. the metal caps that are on the tip and tail are starting to peel up and separate from the base of the board. One thing I will say is riding here in the rocky mountains we see our fair share of core shots and this board is no different, that said I am happy with how this board is holding together under those spots.. I did manage to crack a siderail in half and now that spot is a little split open along the sidewall but hasn't opened anymore since then.. Im sure they would cop out on my warranty because that's so easy to do with all the things we shouldn't do on a snowboard.. :nononno: that's what companies do.. so I will be looking at riding another brand board midway thru this next winter.

I can say from personal experience that if you want to ride a board that is tuff get a venture.. I don't ride one but Ive seen some kids STRAIT STONE GRIND them with no issues.. To bad they don't do camrock.. :nononno: :nononno: :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:03 pm 

I just received my 2015 Jones Carbon Solution that I bought off Russman lightly used. He was telling me all the boards are made in Switzerland now. This board is light. Doing a hand weighing test with my old 161 solution the regular solution feels like a tank. And you can tell they softened the flex just a bit from the 2014 Carbon and added a touch more camber. Most Solutions/Flagships didn't have very pronounced camber and depending on the quality some didn't have any. I've seen multiple differences in camber across the same line of boards from their Tunisian products. But this one you can tell is well built and the camber is very noticeable. Supposedly it's 500 grams lighter than the 2014 Carbon. Russell says it weighs 6lbs 4oz making it one of the lighter boards around. I can't wait to try it out with my new Karakoram Carbon Primes coming this fall!!! The karakoram tip and tail clips suck (a minor gripe). The tip clip on this board is tight but that's because there's too much plastic and you have to basically push it together until the plastic wears off as cometogether was explaining. Better than being loose for sure but I've never seen any karakoram tip clips that have a tight snappy feel as the voiles do. Fix that shit! I would be concerned about snapping this board if I weighed 200+ lbs but at 140 lbs I'm certainly not worried about it :D