Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite pants
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am 

Hey TEX. I also have Flylow pants. They are the Magnums. Totally bomber. I like the inner and outer zips compared to my last pants which had outer only. You just have to be careful not to burn your legs with the zips open on sunny spring days. I am looking to get their Baker bibs as well and am kicking myself for not picking up on the Clymb for 120 bucks last June.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm 

Flylow magnum bc's here. It's nice to have a piece of gear this durable. They have a full side zip too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

Burton 3L AK gore bib all the way. I put 150+ days in them each season and by the end they're still going strong. I, however, always take advantage of Burton's warranty on the AK line (lifetime) as there is usually some small defect that is warranty worthy. Nice to have that assurance on an expensive piece of gear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 pm 

Glad to read all the flylow love. I just ordered a pair of the chemical pants for cheap... Backcountry.com has a new outlet section on their site which has Chemical, Stash, and Magnum pants, last years I guess, all under $120.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:41 am 

Recommendations from a fully-acknowledged gear whore. Personally, I find that there is no 'one pant to rule them all'. Additional caveat is that I use mine for additional outdoor interests beyond splitting. Current arsenal includes the following, and covers any conditions and temperature range with proper layering:

Patagonia Six Chuter Bibs (full hard shell bib)
Outdoor Research Tremor Pant (wind-stopper soft shell pant)
Patagonia White Smoke Pant (hybrid hard/soft shell pant)

Both brand have worn extremely well, and are backed by solid warranties (which haven't been needed to date).

I have a hard time believing you can find a single pant to handle the variety of conditions/temperatures that CA has to offer. My :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 am 

Do any of you have any experience with the powslayer bib?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am 

I have ArcTeryx bibs and they are fantastic, but for boarding they aren't my favorite since the ankles are narrower than I like with snowboard boots. I primarily use them for mountian climbing.

I recently invested in Burton AK3 bibs and pants for different reasons and this is my new fave. They are designed with maneuverability in mind as it relates to boarding and fit over the boots well. They have full zips too. I don't like a thick shell. I prefer to bulk up underneath if it's cold, or to wear them w/o layers when it's warm. Some of the burlier, thick garments are going to be pretty hot in spring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 am 

OR trailbreaker
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/ ... pants.html

softshell above knees, waterproof below, breathe well, zips, good pockets & you can sleep in them. Bomber.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:42 pm 

Another vote for FlyLow's here. My only issue is my own fault. Went with a sweet color, a teal/mint. They're SUPER dirty now. Oops. Other than that, they're dope pants. I've got a pretty bad knee, and it's nice to have access to it without any struggle.

One time when I dislocated my knee we couldn't get it back into place. B-P had to piggy back me out, and I had to jimmy rig this setup to ease the pain (slightly). Thank goodness for those big vents! Note, pants still on ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/65619_10102019498820078_1953518030_n.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 am 

bibs all the way but MY GOD who pays 400+ for a pair of snow pants?? that is a far stretch considering all the other equipment we have to purchase. I like riding in shorts when applicable.. :nononno:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:02 am 

Westcomb Revenant bib for the eVent breathability + full zips + detachable upper bib part but hate to say didn't hold up well and Westcomb didn't deliver on warranty. I was a huge fan of the brand but after this, and talking all the way up to chief marketing honcho, I am not endorsing them. They didn't care enough to send me a piece of patching material, after I explicitly told them I have a tour coming up. Boo Westcomb! Very lame.

Currently have been very happy with TREW Trewth bibs, have held up great. Fit is a bit OG but better than the Baker bib which was ridiculous on me. I still like Flylow and try to support them. THeir new Neoshell pant w/ full zippers is very interesting.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 am 

Been stoked on the Patagonia Powder Bowls since I picked them up in 2011. I didn't pay retail for them & I see them advertised @ discounted prices all the time. Usually you can find them for very reasonable prices, especially for a Gore Tex pant. They have held up to tons of abuse, they're reinforced on the medial sides of the ankles for crampon protection (come in handy more than a couple times!), and have a great upper-thigh vent.

My girlfriend just bought a pair of the 2013/14s and they are more or less the same as the ones I'm rocking from a couple of years ago (design-wise).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 pm 

I just got the black diamond dawn patrol pants. I love softshell pant,s at least for our climate here in Utah. Hopefully they work as good as they make my ass look.