Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 640
Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
This has hardboot/softboot written all over it.


While I am a hardbooter. I am being sincere in what I asking to improve my riding, this coming season. So this is not a hard boot vs. softboot debate, nor is it wanted in this thread!


Steeze and hardboots cannot peacefully coexist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 am
Posts: 21
shredgnar wrote:
Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
This has hardboot/softboot written all over it.


While I am a hardbooter. I am being sincere in what I asking to improve my riding, this coming season. So this is not a hard boot vs. softboot debate, nor is it wanted in this thread!


Steeze and hardboots cannot peacefully coexist.


Not since 1991

_________________
Amplid::: Next Level Splitboards
http://www.amplid.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm
Posts: 1416
Location: UT
Let me qualify my answer by saying freestyle left my repertoire at the end of the eighties along with the cartilage in my left knee, so my experience is minimal. Particularly since freestyle then and now are universes apart.

But based on watching the likes of Rice, Tereje, and all top pipe and park riders I'd consider these skills quite valuable in the backcountry.

Flexibility
Spatial awareness
Body control

_________________
Experts tell me I'm not a serious rider; riding boards that are too long with the incorrect boot and binding setup and I'm not having fun...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 am
Posts: 305
Ride switch a lot just do laps with switch riding only. It's fun. Duck stance is key. Traversing on your toes can be safer and allows you to take a higher line if needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am
Posts: 1516
Location: Colorado
I came to snowboarding from skate background. I think style comes from years of riding sideways on a board, be it snow, surf, or cement. The more hours, days, months, years, decades you get, the more your movements get economized and refined, and style develops from there.
It also helps to try somewhat consciously to eliminate bad habits. Always attempting to keep ones arms low, for instance, is a good habit to develop.
Also, avoiding the Tony Hawk elbows out riding style is a good idea…
Surely, freestyle park riding can help, as long as you can stay injury free…
This summer I started riding the skateparks again for the first time in about 20 years… I am just carving around, doing some slides, and some kick turns. But I am sure this is going to help keep my agility and balance up, as well as the ability to deal with transitions, and 3D riding situations.
The best advice I ever got for board sports style and performance is the concept of "weight underside". Hold your arm out horizontally and tense up all your arm muscles, then relax all the muscles using only what is necessary to hold your arm out still; notice how you feel the weight of the arm come to its underside. The best riders, think Craig Kelly, use only the muscles which are necessary, and hold very little tension in the rest of the body, this "weight underside" concept lowers the CG, and creates a relaxed and naturally functional riding style.

_________________
Never Summer Prospector 167X, furberg 173 DIY, Dynafit TLT5/6 Mountain , Phantom Bindings, BD Glidelite Skins
Quiver Killer inserts

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am
Posts: 1516
Location: Colorado
Amplid wrote:
shredgnar wrote:
Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
This has hardboot/softboot written all over it.


While I am a hardbooter. I am being sincere in what I asking to improve my riding, this coming season. So this is not a hard boot vs. softboot debate, nor is it wanted in this thread!


Steeze and hardboots cannot peacefully coexist.


Not since 1991


Is that Peter Bauer there…. If so, you managed to ride with pretty good style in hard boots back in the day of the relatively flexible Raichle Snowboarder, even with a 19" (or less)stance width!

_________________
Never Summer Prospector 167X, furberg 173 DIY, Dynafit TLT5/6 Mountain , Phantom Bindings, BD Glidelite Skins
Quiver Killer inserts

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:13 pm
Posts: 208
Getting air is one of the most fun things you can do in snowboarding, but extra care is required in the BC, especially if you don't have a crew.

A cool use of freestyle would be this: you are riding along and come to a creek bed or some similar and it's too big to jump but look there's a broken tree spanning across - now you can jib it like a rail :thumpsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 800
Location: Colorado
chrisNZ wrote:
Ride switch a lot just do laps with switch riding only. It's fun. Duck stance is key.
No need for ducky... just lots of practice!

_________________
Talking about snowboarding is like dancing about architecture...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 pm
Posts: 684
Location: white room
For one thing, adding freestyle to the mix enables you to use more of the mountain on the way down, expanding the fun factor and making more mundane runs, or something you've ridden numerous times, a lot more interesting. As has been mentioned, riding switch can come in handy, and it's easy to practice at the ski area when the snow off of the groomers sucks. Also, knowing how to ollie can be critical, as you never know when there may be an obstacle (rock, stump, telemarker, etc.) that you can't see until the last second. It would certainly be worth it just to know how to do some basic grabs (whichever feel most natural to you) to keep you stable in the air.
Of course, for instant style you can wear some pants that come up to your thighs, with a t-shirt that comes down to your knees, along with a bandana and some SkullCandy headphones.

_________________
Ridin' Dirty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm
Posts: 316
My buddy (older dude) just got a switch board (Venture). It looks fun. I like the Balanced stance idea and the challenge it offers. One day.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:16 pm
Posts: 355
barrows wrote:
I came to snowboarding from skate background. I think style comes from years of riding sideways on a board, be it snow, surf, or cement. The more hours, days, months, years, decades you get, the more your movements get economized and refined, and style develops from there.
It also helps to try somewhat consciously to eliminate bad habits. Always attempting to keep ones arms low, for instance, is a good habit to develop.
Also, avoiding the Tony Hawk elbows out riding style is a good idea…
Surely, freestyle park riding can help, as long as you can stay injury free…
This summer I started riding the skateparks again for the first time in about 20 years… I am just carving around, doing some slides, and some kick turns. But I am sure this is going to help keep my agility and balance up, as well as the ability to deal with transitions, and 3D riding situations.
The best advice I ever got for board sports style and performance is the concept of "weight underside". Hold your arm out horizontally and tense up all your arm muscles, then relax all the muscles using only what is necessary to hold your arm out still; notice how you feel the weight of the arm come to its underside. The best riders, think Craig Kelly, use only the muscles which are necessary, and hold very little tension in the rest of the body, this "weight underside" concept lowers the CG, and creates a relaxed and naturally functional riding style.


Since when is being efficient stylish? No wonder you ride hard boots.

PS tried to start shit on Best BC post but you wouldn't bite so I'm trying here.
-though I am still technically correct; the best kind of correct

_________________
It is diffucult to assess ones own fuckedupness
Jones Solution 164, Fuse baseplates w/BM Bisquits, Salomon Malamutes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:16 pm
Posts: 355
Bennytree wrote:
I just rented and watched an older movie on Craig Kelley. He has the best turning style I ave ever seen. So much upper body and arm swag. I for sure think it helps. I am 33 and used to be into the park and rails but am all about pow and splitboarding now. I think it has helped me.

Dude you mentioned Craig Kelly (peace be upon him) without saying "peace be upon him".
I forgive you, but I doubt the mountains will. Expect a BCIED!
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15888

_________________
It is diffucult to assess ones own fuckedupness
Jones Solution 164, Fuse baseplates w/BM Bisquits, Salomon Malamutes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 am
Posts: 21
barrows wrote:
Amplid wrote:
shredgnar wrote:
Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
This has hardboot/softboot written all over it.


While I am a hardbooter. I am being sincere in what I asking to improve my riding, this coming season. So this is not a hard boot vs. softboot debate, nor is it wanted in this thread!


Steeze and hardboots cannot peacefully coexist.


Not since 1991


Is that Peter Bauer there…. If so, you managed to ride with pretty good style in hard boots back in the day of the relatively flexible Raichle Snowboarder, even with a 19" (or less)stance width!


No, Peter's guilty of Hardbooting well into the mid 90s. That said, he even rides with a negative angle on his back foot these days... not in hardboots I might add. He'll be grateful for the compliment!

_________________
Amplid::: Next Level Splitboards
http://www.amplid.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], splittilps and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group