Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's north america's best BC region?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 am 

Definitely something to be said for that. It's tough sometimes to pick the best location overall.

Coastal is the shit because they get huge dumps, and its sticks to the steeps making for some really sweet lines. It can also be just as light as continental if it gets cold enough. And stability is awesome, with less to worry about like persistent weak layers. The downside is the weather can often skunk you, and rain isn’t much fun to ride on. And approaches are generally harder.

Continental is sweet when you are shredding through a couple feet of blower. Also higher elevation can sometimes mean earlier/later snowfall for fall and spring pow skiing. Access is generally easier too with all the mining roads and what not. Snowpack on the other hand can be very complex and shallow. Blower doesn’t stick to steeps too well. Those are mostly ridden in april-june.

Intermountain is an awesome combination of both of these things (jackson, revy etc.) with the addition of nice steep tree lines that don’t end with ice, cement or slush at the car.

If you are after snow quality/consistency I think intermountain wins. You are more likely to have a higher number of really good days of riding. If you are after snow quantity/rideable safe terrain then the edge goes to coastal. You are more likely to ride the gnar mid-season.

If you like blower and avalanche science, continental.

Since I have to stay in the US, I would prefer to be in Northern Idaho, Alaska or Washington. Though the PNW can be a bitch for weekend warriors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:15 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
and rain isn’t much fun to ride on.

TAKE IT BACK. TAKE IT BACK RIGHT NOW.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:55 pm 

totally agreed with HFT. Continental snowpack, like here in Colorado is totally sketchy… Interior BC, is much, much more stable, without all the problems present in the coastal regions. The snow quality in the interior is generally, on a day by day basis, going to be superior to what there is in coastal regions, but the coastal areas sure rock immediately after a storm, especially if it gets clear and cold… but that snow does not stay good for long.
The consistent snowfall, and deep thick snowpack make the interior areas much more stable than one might think at first glance, sure, it is not the thick, glop which sticks to everything like on the coast, indeed, that is kind of the point...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:28 pm 

Secaucus NJ ...haven't we been over this already

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 pm 

barrows wrote:
Interior BC, is much, much more stable.... The snow quality in the interior is ... superior to what there is in coastal regions, but the coastal areas sure rock immediately after a storm...
The consistent snowfall, and deep thick snowpack make the interior areas much more stable than one might think at first glance, sure, it is not the thick, glop which sticks to everything like on the coast, indeed, that is kind of the point...

I dunno what Barrows is smoking down there in Colorado but interior bc can get depth hoar, surface hoar, sun crust, rain crust, wind crust, wind slab, deep weaknesses, glide fracturing, wet snow avalanches, and some wet glop on every pineapple express that rolls thru, and weed is actually illegal, regardless of what TEX seemed to think.

Im with BG (on this one singular point) and the peacefrog, west coast and alaska... and the alaska coast... no shortage of places to explore.

like new jersey... and prince george, paradise! love that town. lets keep the ideas coming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:36 am 

Mark: Weed is illegal in Canada!!!??? What, you wouldn't know that from visiting there :lol:

I agree, that the coast/maritime snowpack is much more stable than the interior, but I am used to Colorado, where the snowpack is much, much worse yet again. I guess it is all a matter of what one might be used to. For example, I would compare the interior of BC to Utah and Wyoming in the US, where the snowpack, while certainly still dangerous, is much more stable than here in Colorado.

Question karkis: are you planning to move to Whistler or Pemberton anytime soon to take advantage of the coastal snowpack?

The OP asked for the best place in NA, for my money, it is still Interior BC-I am willing to accept a little more avy sketch (and still less than I am used to here), in exchange for better snow surface quality on a day to day basis.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am 

Well my snowpack is worse than yours, what now!? Although I love the terrain and solitude in the San Juans, it gets real old having to deal with real bad avy conditions I do say. The past two years, my butt has been puckered from November to mid March, it sucks. We've lost some good people as well. So no, the San Juans do not win this argument. If we have a stable snowpack, it's right up there with the best I think. But its generally short lived.

Battleship avy path in Silverton. The last two years its gone BIG.

122 documented slide paths in Red Mountain pass and Cement Creek (Silverton), which can be terrifying in mid winter. And this is just the road, tons more on Ophir Pass, Eureka, etc. Bummer thing is, there's a lot of slide paths, and for some tours, it is almost unavoidable to not cross under them.

Cool site for Rogers pass. Seems like on the road are 134 avalanche paths, thats not a small amount either. http://rogerspass411.ca/start-zone.html

I'm headed to interior BC this year for 9 days. 2 years ago was in Pemberton. It was pretty awesome to go from a persistent deep slab instability to a rock solid snowpack. I think we went from high avy danger in Colorado to low in BC, it was awesome. Although Revelstoke is worse than Pemberton, I believe Barrows has a good point, it seems way better than what we deal with daily. We'll see how the interior stacks up, but I do like a stable snowpack...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am 

summersgone wrote:

Vibes dude....

That shit looks terrifying. Be safe, stay alive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm 

Sounds like we might need to define "best", but for all my criteria, it's the Sierra hands down. One or two storms will take you from mountain biking dusty trails to riding burly lines without worrying about rocks, pretty long season, lots of sun, little cold, endless terrain options, lots of easy access, no crowds, predictable snowpack (I wouldn't call it stable), steeps get plastered, and almost all season you can find pow and/or corn. Not to mention the range is 400 miles long and almost all of it is accessible, and there are numerous descents over 7,000'. What more could you want?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 pm 

ringdings_and_pepsi wrote:
peacefrog wrote:
I'm not saying Juneau is a Mecca, far from it.

interested to hear where you think is a mecca. or even confined to AK, where would the best place be to set up for a winter?

Thompson Pass outta Valdez if you not looking for lift access (since your on this forum you shouldn't be), or Turnagain Pass based out of Anchorage would be a guaranteed good time also.

I should note I'm in Fairbanks so most of my riding is in the Alaska Range but the snow is so much better down by the Gulf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm 

Mark is right about there being a really sensitive snowpack in his neck of the woods and is recommending what I believe could potentially be the Mecca. I have heard amazing things about Terrace and the Prince George area and am keen to heading that way this upcoming winter. I love the Cascades but the hut network of the Coastal Mountains is absolutely amazing and 90% of them nobody knows about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am 

barrows wrote:
Mark: Weed is illegal in Canada!!!??? What, you wouldn't know that from visiting there :lol:

yes really its true WEED IS ILLEGAL IN ALL OF CANADA INCLUDING BC
mind boggling. but our current prime minister may be shittin the bed just now and i think any of the other political options would be more progressive re weed, hopefully in the near future.

barrows wrote:
Question karkis: are you planning to move to Whistler or Pemberton anytime soon to take advantage of the coastal snowpack?

Answer barrows: im not going nowhere, specially not whis! :lol:

i guess maybe some of the humour? got lost in the interweb. the stability here is such that you always gotta be thinking. id be nervous on the coast that somedays id forget to think critically enough, thats something i would do. here its just a habit, knowing there always may be dragons around, to give them just enough respect. it's all good when ya get used to it, and yah of course nowhere near az sketch as the rockies, CO, San Juans....

Also, Kyle, Terrace to PG is around 600km, i was being sarcastic about the lovely town of pg, i actually recommend staying at least 400 km away from the pig if possible. go up the coast towards Terrace if you can.
no offence to any PGers, im sure powder king is a fun time, and work, jobs and school, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and different strokes for folks... jus my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:54 pm 

This isn't so hard, you start with where the right types and size and square miles of mountains are. Then you pick that zone of snow that is far enough in from the coast to reduce the amount of rain you get but not so far inland that you don't get good a good base of snow consistently and not so far inland that you always have near surface faceting between every storm. Are you about the best quality snow or the mountaineering/climbing/exposure-challenge of it all? Then criteria d. How do you support yourself will really focus you down into just a few choices. If you can work from anywhere/work seasonally-you should have figured this all out by now or just need to get after it already.

If you are going to have M-F job and a family at some point, realize that 2-3 hour drives to the mountains will probably keep you out of them most weekends. It's best to have some riding right out your door.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next