Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 pm 

dfinn wrote:
The storm was just upgraded from a watch to a warning. Weather.com is saying 6" at lake level and a foot or more above 7k feet.

If your read the NWS discussion, they're pretty skeptical about the storm too, and the main reason for the warning is the winds blowing the snow around. I always read this, because it give insight into the reliability of the forecast. For instance if it were a holiday weekend they would be throwing red flags up everywhere and exagerating the storm in the interest of driving safety.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/prodreq.php?wfo=rev&sid=rev&pil=afd&pvnum=11

dfinn wrote:
I would be up for that but my power steering pump died in my car yesterday, which means I also don't have brakes.

Sounds like a Chevy Blazer/Astro to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm 

older audi. i'll have to check that discussion out.

Post subject: This weekend
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 pm 

Thanks for the invite BUT -- based on the forcast I'm gonna stick closer to home. Probably do laps on Sunday once the onslaught is over, might even ride the lifts tomorrow :oops: .

Powderjunkie, I saw the road runs last year on the way to Salmon River, nice and steep and long. The basin to the south viewable from the road is the real gem, it does fill in and some of the lines are very long. From what I hear the snow really lays down deep through there.

If I prospect it I'll post a report.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:18 pm 

would love to join for some fun in Chester, but staying close to home this weekend... if not sooner, we'll see you @ the Devastated Area in May 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:30 pm 

It's on. Already 9 inches at the chalet as of Friday am. 8)

In case anyone changes their mind or the tap runs dry down in Tahoe, we'll be at the southwest entrance lot Saturday and Sunday and car camping there.

Shasta - I'll be up there one of these days. Looks like it might be a long season in the *rinities. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:43 pm 

I still haven't made the journey to Lassen. It's hard to justify a 4-5 hour drive when Tahoe is 1 hour away. Maybe this spring.

Have fun yo and don't forget the TRizzle.

Fo shizzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:07 pm 

Mapquest

Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 27 minutes Total Est. Distance: 210.48 miles

Shorter drive for you than us. :wink:

- check for BCR - spring splittin' at *assen. Fo shizzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:22 pm 

sounds like you guys might need some chiiiz and wine up on *assen...
If KS aka Matt is there, I might be tempted to add chartreuse to the picnic mix. what's the plan? carcamp at lassen tonite or get there morning sat? then MtRose tomorrow and Lundy snday? hmmm tempting. I could be very well be in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:48 pm 

yeah fas

KS is going. Driving up tomorrow morning to be there before 10.

Camping in the lot. Bring the cheese and wine.

KS is treating anyone who comes up to the most expensive dinner we can find. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:08 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
KS is treating anyone who comes up to the most expensive dinner we can find. :wink:

Uhhh, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, that's negatory. I don't remember saying anything like that, there good Junkie. You guys get your choice of anything on the 99-cent menu at the Chester Mc-D's. Fassnor can have a Royale wi' cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:53 pm 

how was it? we didn't get much here at the lake, sunday was warm with spring like conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 pm 

The crew was Fassnor, Puff Natty, Powderjunkie, and me. Brodie Dawg had to stay in the car, since he is not allowed off paved areas even in winter. Snowed and blowed both days. Prolly 1-2' on the upper peaks with bottomless soft snow in the protected trees. Low vis and avy danger kept us there in the trees. Digging a pit indicated several crust layers with the top foot or two being quite touchy, so NE slopes were wind-loaded death traps. A few turns down the lower section of one let loose a small soft slab that carried me for a short distance, buried me up to my waste and ran down a gully. If I would have entered higher up I wouldn't be typing this right now. Good times. The snow level was shooting up this afternoon and it was freezing rain at the parking lot when we got there. The next storm was already hitting after a short break of a few hours, so I'm sure the snow level will drop again soon. Great people and great snow, so a good trip (minus the avy scare and the end-o-day mank on the run-out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 pm 

sounds like fun and way better conditions than we had here. hopefully i'll have a working vehicle next time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next