Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:25 pm 

I've always wondered if the TLT5 mtn woman's version would have a softer flex then the men's, any ideas? Maybe they don't go up to size 29 tho, haha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:57 am 

ive seen womens for cheap! not sure on sizing and fitment but that is a possibility..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm 

Has anyone ever considered an interface that actually took advantage of the heel piece of the dynafit bindings? Forget any bindings, voile pucks, or slider plates. Why not just have an interface that allows the toe piece and the heel piece to work in tour mode just like it does on skiis, then detach from tour mode and re-attach in ride mode and click in like a traditional skier? Seems efficient to me? Does this make sense to anyone or is there something I may be over looking?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm 

the potential for having one foot pop out and then doing some serious knee damage has always scared me. that and all splitboard bindings help the two halfs stay together and a tech binding wouldn't really help with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:26 pm 

Before the first version of the Phantom Splitboard Bindings came into being, Keffler and I spent some serious time brainstorming many different concepts for hard boot binding systems. We followed some pretty outrageous ideas, but we always came back to the advantages of the simple metal bail style binding. Using the tech inserts for the heel piece would be impossible for ride mode, as they need to attach behind the heel of the boot, making for serious boot drag problems.
Also, as the above poster mentions, the bindings them selves do a lot to make the board interface stiff and strong, this is one of the big advantages of the Phantom Bindings which people are not always aware of. They hold the two board halves very strongly, with overlapping tabs on both sides of the board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

That is a good point I had not considered. Borrows have you found anywhere that sells the dynafit toe piece separately? Seems like a waste of $$ to pay for the extra heel pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:39 pm 

Earnyourturn wrote:
That is a good point I had not considered. Borrows have you found anywhere that sells the dynafit toe piece separately? Seems like a waste of $$ to pay for the extra heel pieces.

Spark RnD used to sell the Dynafit Speed toe piece separately. Phantom Splitboard Bindings/Keffler may have some Dynafit Speed Ultralight toe pieces for sale this season. The Speed Ultralight saves a bunch of weight, I have been using them. Contact Phantom through their Facebook page, or go to the Phantom post here on the bindings forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 pm 

Great. Thanks for all the help barrows, have spent hours reading your info on here and it's truly helpful. Hope to split with you someday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 am 

Several people here, me including have built DIY split bindings from the Voile plate and Carving Company bails (which are what Burton used to sell eons ago as a hardboot binding). It works, no doubts, but the Voile plate is made from very flexible aluminium and you can notice this, while riding.
It shouldn't be impossible to source some blocks of 7075 aluminium, they even sell them on eBay and find a CNC machine to carve a clone of the Voile plate. It would be a big improvement. I have somewhere a 3D model I made to measurements for the purpose. The cost including labour and material was ~$200 (in Europe, mind you). But now I will just free somebody from the burden of last year's Phantoms (:

A leg coming loose is what scares me big time. When I cut the voile plate to bolt the bails on, I did it a few millimetres short, which was big, big trouble. The bails should squeeze the boot with considerable force (without crushing it or being impossible to release, of course) and then spontaneous release is not much of a problem. In my case it was very easy to release, mostly in tight turns. I almost lost my NS Summit in France! I had to enlarge the holes, so that I can move the bails towards each other, but then there was the danger that the bolts will move around in the now larger holes, I had to fill this. Ugly thing. I would show you pictures, but I am ashamed of what job I Did :oops:

The big problem is that if one of your legs is released, the other one will follow very soon, because your leg twists inside the binding and unless you are very lucky and the board lands bindings down, you are up for a big chase. After this happened for the third time to me I started tethering the board to my boots! My ski friends, who immediately started mocking me when I switched to split board ("Look, you are almost on ski now, which is almost not a fag!") and only increased the mocking with the hard boots, started offering me ski brakes for the board :D

tl;dr
With proper bindings - Phantoms or precisely crafted DIY Voile+Bails you won't have a problem with sudden release of the bindings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am 

I apologize if this has already been covered, lots of info to sift through here. I was wondering if there is a good ski crampon and vert (or something of that nature) option for the dynafit/phantom set up?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:11 am 

B and D Splitboard crampons for Dynafit bindings

http://www.bndskigear.com/fatcrampons.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am 

B and D makes ski crampons which fit the Dyanfit toe piece in 135 mm width, which should fit up to a 27 CM waisted board. Dynafit makes ski crampons in 130 mm width, which fit up to 26 CM waisted boards. Keffler has tested the Dynafit crampons on his Venture Storm (26 cm waist) with success.
Keffler has prototypes of "cleats" which allow a direct mount of the Phantom plate to Verts. I do not think these have been field tested yet: see the Phantom Splitboard Bindings FaceBook page for pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:21 am 

thanks for the prompt reply!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next