Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Burton Super 162 (1996) too soft?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:49 pm 

Relative newbie but have been reading this forum for a while. Had a Burton Cascade 170 split that I sold last year because I thought it was too long. Had a few BC experiences on it. My biggest problem is living in KY and finding someone or a group to team up with. Trying to do it right, took the Silverton Level I last year.

After finding this site and reading a good bit (noting bad Burton hardware experiences), I'm thinking I'm really glad I sold the Cascade, and now I'm thinking about sawing my old Burton Super that is collecting dust and adapting to Voile hardware. The board is quite soft, great for pow, but not great in crusty / tundra conditions. Not sure how it would work for climbing either and just wondering if anyone else has had any luck with a board this soft. Am I wasting my time, should I just buy a better board? Or maybe it will work fine and save me some $?

Appreciate any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 pm 

well, if you split it and it ends up being a piece of crap, you could take the whole split kit and just put it on another board and toss the burton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:52 am 

Soft board might not do well in climbing mode. When you split a board, each half is going to be more flexible on its own. So if a board is already soft, it will feel even softer when you use it in ski mode. Plus you're not going to have edges on the inside part of the skies when you split your own board. These things can really suck when you try to trevese a slope, at least they are problems for a lousy skier like myself. Let's face it, if I can tele, I probably wouldn't be dragging my knuckles on a snowboard :) So I want my split to be as solid as possible, just to compensate my lack of skills.
By the way, ski crampons might help getting an edge while trevesing. I don't have a pair, so that's probably why I always ended up walking across the slope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:01 pm 

Yeah, crampons are crucial no matter what board you have.