Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Tesla in Spark Shop
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

prior_rider wrote:
I will be eager to read how these perform in variable condition snow. I know I was quite disappointed with the Karakorums which needed to have all snow cleared from anywhere near the interface. It's easy to demonstrate how they click / engage in a dry room as in these photos. It is another thing altogether to reliably work in stick cold snow conditions.

I agree on the K-binders, but I'm not sure I understand your concern on this one. The snow is cleared just like the old ones in placing the bindings on and the only moving part is the ramp, which appears to be clear of the pins. I've not had a ton of times where the front of the puck is caked and I can't attach the pin, with this there is no pin. On the tour brackets I've never ever had a problem with snow clogging the holes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am 

Good to here this shouldn't happen. I haven't seen these in the wild yet. I will likely buy this setup soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:18 am 

Well luckily Spark products are made in Bozeman, MT and they will be able to send out some new touring brackets super fast. I've always received great help with their sales department.

If they were made in China they would have to kill the 11 year old who packed them incorrectly. I'm sure that the young shredder who was packing them here in the ol' USA must of had an off day and packed up a grip of them without the correct amount of touring brackets.

Having worked in manufacturing I can say that sometimes stuff gets f'd up and although it's lame, that shit just happens. I got my new Magnetos without any problems and I'm super stoked that they were made by a dirtbags like myself in this crap economy. I'm sure the Spark guys are on top of those miss-packed parts and are having them shipped back to the factory ASAP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 pm 

I sent Spark an email and they replied within 2 days to say the missing brackets were already in the mail. If only you could order a nice dump of snow like that. :lol:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 am 

Guys , can you tell me from where I can buy an extra heeel loops for my 11-12 spark burner?I bought a tesla afterburner kit and it looks that the 11-12 heel loops doesn't match to 13-14 baseplate kit!tks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 pm 

horatiu wrote:
Guys , can you tell me from where I can buy an extra heeel loops for my 11-12 spark burner?I bought a tesla afterburner kit and it looks that the 11-12 heel loops doesn't match to 13-14 baseplate kit!tks

Spark would be your best bet. But I wonder if Spark sent you the right parts? I do realize that the heel cup mounting bolt spacing of the legacy Burner bindings do NOT match the spacing of the new Tesla base plates (I held my old Burners up to my new Tesla Afterburners), so I figured they must have a second, different machining for retrofit kits. Maybe they sent you a new Tesla-specific base plate and not the one that belongs in the conversion kit? If not, none of the conversion kits will work. They wouldn't even fit my 12/13 Burners. Email Spark with your issue. They are pretty responsive.

Spark sent me two additional touring brackets post haste. :thumbsup:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 am 

I saw on their website the heel loop kit wich is compatible with 11-12 bindings.It was better if I knew that before I bought the baseplate kit.On tactics, from where I bought this ,the product specification did not mention that the heeel loop is needed .They only mentioned compatibility with 11-12 ,12-13 or 13-14 bindings,that's it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 am 

Why even offer a conversion kit if it doesn't have enough parts to accomplish the conversion? I mean it's not like anyone would already have a Tesla heel loop laying around. So stupid. :banghead:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:58 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Why even offer a conversion kit if it doesn't have enough parts to accomplish the conversion? I mean it's not like anyone would already have a Tesla heel loop laying around. So stupid. :banghead:

not to raise the "splitboarding's too expensive" thread but agreed. And $250 to upgrade my 11-12 Blazes, which I now find doesn't even get me there, is a bit steep. How much for the heel hoop part?

I'm thinking I will just buy an LT kit and some dual height heel risers and wait another year to go over to the Tesla system. Should be cheap on ebay these days...

That said, I did demo Magnetos at Silverton Splitfest and I am in love with the system. Just not $450 in love.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:35 am 

It cost $25,and can be found only on their website.
http://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/tesla-ba ... -loop-kit/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 am 

To be fair to Spark, their Tesla conversion kit page does state the following:

Sparkrandd.com wrote:
Switch the heel loop, ankle and toe straps onto the new base and you are rockin’ with Tesla (the guy, not the band). Comes with baseplate, Tesla bracket, heel plate, and a bunch of screws. Compatible with 12/13 and 13/14 binding models. Compatible with 2011/12 Blaze and Burner bindings with the addition of the Heel Loop Kit which is sold separately.

It seems like retail outlets like REI sort of forgot to put that rather critical part in their item descriptions. Doh.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 am 

REI, Tactics and other retailers don't mention about heel loops,also on spark online catalogue I didn't saw mention that http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au/tesla.html. Even their site was updated recently with this loops ..On my last visit on the site about one month ago the only kit available was afterburner and magneto.And no pics anywere!!(I know what it looks a heel loops :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 am 

Looks like this years bindings are a success and have sold out.
My friend tried to get a pair in CA and was unable to get the size/color he wanted.
Seems like they are shipping again 12/1 according to REI and Mountaingear.
Spark shop is still not up.
Kudos to the guys having done the right product 2013 and hopefully they can hire some more people to make some more...