Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: hard boot AIRS WITH STYLE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:30 am 

If your strapped in or Skii style "clicked in" your cheating in the first place, and grabs should be done proper! any excuse is bad style.... People always confuse grabs, bs/fs on half pipes and rails. And a method is different then melon folks! If you dont know? dont even try

backside 180, Melon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:36 am 

Here's a little helper for the hardbooters out there. How many can you do? I don't know if I'm flexible enough for some these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 am 

Damien wants his cheat sheet back!!! :nononno:

that shit is so classic old it doesn't even Have method on it... or are we calling them melons?? :scratch:

and I can only do cannonballs on the rossi 121 mini so that's not fair. :lol:

either way, I like to grab my snowboard in the air, sometimes I get it solid and poke it proper sometimes its a half assed tindy. they all cant be the money shot!!!

but I do see a couple SOMEWHAT stylish HB airs in here, and thanks for that its rad to see it can be done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am 

This is a Melon Grab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 am 

^^^^^
Now thats what im talkin about! even a monkey can have good style

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 am 

Hahaha. Thanks Mike, classic. But I think it is important to understand, that just where one grabs, and with what hand, is not what defines many tricks. The Rocket Air (thanks Christian) requires both hands to nose, and both feet to tail, hence real Rocket Airs can only be achieved by skateboarders, noboarders, and... maybe, surfers?
Method Airs require what the chart would call a lien grab, but with the board extended above and behind the rider: this extension (tweak) is what separates the Method from an ordinary backside air. To be clear, I am not suggesting anyone is wrong, just making sure that the grab alone is not what defines a given trick.
As far as the stylish hardboot airs, I am not the go to guy on this, not being a freestyle oriented snowboarder, my airial maneuvers are limited to Methods, Frontside straight airs, and, seldomly, the half-cab drop in, and they are very occasional as well, being in Colorado it is the rare day in the backcountry where it is safe enough to risk the extra stress on the slope which landings often cause.
I think we need video proof as well, for me, no air counts if it is not landed cleanly. Personally, I have never been much interested in snowboard "tricks", as it all just seems to be wanna be skateboarders, and skaters are always doing it better anyway, having no bindings. Of course, with the emphasis on going huge, and dizzying spins, style in skating airs seems to have gone away a bit, the older guys like Cab, Hosoi, and Miller are still getting it done. Of course, what Burnquist is doing on his mega ramp is just entirely insane though...

EDIT: nice Pedro!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:04 am 

I'm losing faith in the pillars of the hard/soft debate. At least Barrows grabs his snowboard but he does his methods with his hand in front of front foot and BG doesn't even grab his snowboard unless he's walking out the door with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 am 

Thank you Pedro for grounding us. It's been FAR to long since I've seen a monkey grabbing some ta ta's around here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

Jason: As far as I am concerned, a Method can be done with either the Lien or Melon grab, and still be a Method. I prefer the Lien grab position, as it allows a better body position in the air, with a nice arched back, and also allows for boning out the rear leg if one has enough air time. My archetype for good snowboarding Methods is CK (RIP), and he almost always grabbed them Lien.
But hey, it is snowboarding, and, ultimately it is about personal perspective and style. It is certainly fine if one rider prefers to grab one way or another, and anyone who says a certain way is bad form is really only expressing their own personal opinion-this is why judging skateboarding or snowboarding can be so controversial. For example, I remember the rivalry between Chritian Hosoi and Tony Hawk. Personally, I dislike the way Tony Hawk skates, to me he has an awkward style which looks terrible, and I find Hosoi to be the opposite. I have seen many contest runs where I think Christian should have won easily, but the judges gave the win to Tony; apparently they were just counting how many times he spun around...
But! My opinion does not mean that Tony Hawk is a bad skateboarder, I would never suggest that.
What I love about sports like skateboarding and snowboarding is that are progressive, and individual, and that there are many different ways to do them. Unlike gymnastics, or figure skating, where the "right" way is almost totally defined, and there is not nearly as much room for personal expression or creativity. I really hope that our sport remains this way, and never gets to the point of having perfect definitions of the "right" way to do everything, that would be so stagnant and boring.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:50 pm 

barrows wrote:
I really hope that our sport remains this way, and never gets to the point of having perfect definitions of the "right" way to do everything, that would be so stagnant and boring.

You bring up a good point Barrows -- except for racing, which is easy to judge, how can one ever truly judge a snowboard (or skateboard) contest based on tricks? Where style plays such a key role? The Christ vs. Hawk rivalry is probably the best-known example of this, at least by us crusty old dudes.

I think the Dogtown documentary movie even addresses this -- that skateboard contests were started as a way to add legitimacy in the eyes of a skeptical public to the 'sport' of skateboarding (how can it be a sport without winners and losers?) and of course to bring outside / non-skateboarding money and sponsors into the industry.

Pretty interesting how Nike and Adidas now have snowboard teams and are recruiting some top riders... apparently there is still money to be made off the snowboard industry.

I shudder to think about the types of contests that would go down to try and legitimize splitting. I have heard about splitters competing in some Rando races, but I can't imagine they are winning...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:03 pm 

barrows wrote:
Jason: As far as I am concerned, a Method can be done with either the Lien or Melon grab, and still be a Method. I prefer the Lien grab position, as it allows a better body position in the air, with a nice arched back, and also allows for boning out the rear leg if one has enough air time. My archetype for good snowboarding Methods is CK (RIP), and he almost always grabbed them Lien.
But hey, it is snowboarding, and, ultimately it is about personal perspective and style. It is certainly fine if one rider prefers to grab one way or another, and anyone who says a certain way is bad form is really only expressing their own personal opinion-this is why judging skateboarding or snowboarding can be so controversial. For example, I remember the rivalry between Chritian Hosoi and Tony Hawk. Personally, I dislike the way Tony Hawk skates, to me he has an awkward style which looks terrible, and I find Hosoi to be the opposite. I have seen many contest runs where I think Christian should have won easily, but the judges gave the win to Tony; apparently they were just counting how many times he spun around...
But! My opinion does not mean that Tony Hawk is a bad skateboarder, I would never suggest that.
What I love about sports like skateboarding and snowboarding is that are progressive, and individual, and that there are many different ways to do them. Unlike gymnastics, or figure skating, where the "right" way is almost totally defined, and there is not nearly as much room for personal expression or creativity. I really hope that our sport remains this way, and never gets to the point of having perfect definitions of the "right" way to do everything, that would be so stagnant and boring.

I agree completely.

P.S. Hardboot airs are weak... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:18 pm 

I saw this on ebay:

UPS ASYMMETRICAL AIGNER CARVE SNOWBOARDING BOOTS / SIZE 8 WOMEN'S / SIZE 7 MEN'S

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121194692260&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123

I do not know what the fascination is with leather soft-boots on this forum. Do softies give your wings or is it just a fetish??? :duel:

Quote:
As far as the stylish hardboot airs, I am not the go to guy on this, not being a freestyle oriented snowboarder, my airial maneuvers are limited to Methods, Frontside straight airs, and, seldomly, the half-cab drop in, and they are very occasional as well, being in Colorado it is the rare day in the backcountry where it is safe enough to risk the extra stress on the slope which landings often cause.

I totally agree!!! I got no steez anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:59 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
Thank you Pedro for grounding us. It's been FAR to long since I've seen a monkey grabbing some ta ta's around here.

My pleasure! It always hard in October at sb.com; lots of stoke and not much snow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next