Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: hard boot AIRS WITH STYLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 pm 

tindy=frontside straight air, names may change, but the style remains the same.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:35 pm 

barrows wrote:

What? You must be a hardbooter. Tindy=tail Indy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:42 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
barrows wrote:

Ahhh, youth. Reinvent tricks of old and give them new names. Look back to the days of Dan Donelly… he was quite fond of the frontside straight air.
To me, nothing going straight is an Indy, Indy's require a pool,quarter pipe, or half pipe and a 180 degree turn in the air for re-entry. But it is all just nomenclature. Reminds me of how many classic alpine climbs get new names in new guidebooks, even when they have well established names originally given by the first ascent party.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:47 pm 

barrows wrote:
shredgnar wrote:
barrows wrote:

Ahhh, youth. Reinvent tricks of old and give them new names. Look back to the days of Dan Donelly… he was quite fond of the frontside straight air.
To me, nothing going straight is an Indy, Indy's require a pool,quarter pipe, or half pipe and a 180 degree turn in the air for re-entry. But it is all just nomenclature. Reminds me of how many classic alpine climbs get new names in new guidebooks, even when they have well established names originally given by the first ascent party.

But you are confusing two improperly named tricks. BTW, I'm more old school than you. Look at our join dates and times. I've got seniority. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm 

Sorry Barrows, stick with hardboot knowledge. A tindy is a sloppy mix between a tailgrab and an indy. I'll agree with you that an indy can only be done on a backside wall or hip but in this case tindy is a derogatory term for a sloppy grab. I hope I've shamed anyone who proudly grabs tindy to man up and get that grab firmly between the feet whether it's a frontside air or a proper indy or reach all the way back and take hold of that tail.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 pm 

He's totally writing a 5000 word essay response right now! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
barrows wrote:
shredgnar wrote:
barrows wrote:

But you are confusing two improperly named tricks. BTW, I'm more old school than you. Look at our join dates and times. I've got seniority. ;)

Hmmm! I do not think "old schoolness" could be defined by a join date? But, really, I would rather be younger than you, so I will accept being so in the ether of the Internet at least, hahaha.
I did not see in the picture that it was a tail grab? I guess my vision is getting bad. It was my impression that this was a tuck knee grab between the feet, if not, then for sure I am mistaken.
For clarity, a rear hand grab between the feet, whether tuck knee or not, going off a straight jump/drop, was referred to as a Frontside Straight Air back in the day. I always resist calling any straight air an Indy, as I would consider that disrespectful to the skaters the like of Duane Peters, who made the Indy a much more committing move than the standard backside air of the day, especially when performed in an environment like the original Combi Pool in Upland.

EDIT: just went back and looked at the two pics, now I get it. you guys are referring the second picture (tail grab), I was referring to the first (between the feet grab). Sorry for the misunderstanding. BTW, my knowledge comes from being a skateboarder, never did that in hard boots…

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm 

Ha! Thought I could get this thread back on track with some schweet hardbootin' airs. But nope. It must be a slow Monday at work for everybody.

Indeed, the tindy 'tis not the noblest creature on the mountain. My mention of it being the winning trick was an act of self deprication. Amazingly, wikipedia has it covered for the unaware with the first google search result:

"The tindy is a snowboard grab in which the snowboarder grabs with his/her rear hand between the rear binding and the tail of the board on the toe edge. Its name is derived from a combination of the indy grab and the tail grab. The tindy grab is generally considered poor form in snowboarding."

Here's another run, with proper tail grab form. Doesn't look as cool, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm 

Slow Monday indeed... :doobie:

K, so declaritive statement for the season #1 (and the first of many I'm sure): This year's Oregon Splitfest will feature a Soft (flaccid) vs. Hard air contest. Nothing off limits (bring your tindy, stinkbug, roast beef grabs!) Team Hard already has 'Rad' Chris so I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. Bring it team flaccid! :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:41 pm 

mofoco wrote:
Ha! Thought I could get this thread back on track with some schweet hardbootin' airs. But nope. It must be a slow Monday at work for everybody.

Hilarious, love that bottom left corner.

Looks like somebody has the time to waste putting it up on Wiki.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow ... _grabs.jpg

Is it Ok to grab tindy doing an Iguana Backflip?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 pm 

I never thought indy grabs looked or felt that steezy. Mute grabs feel and look way better imo. Tail grabs are sorta in between....not really into grabs at all to be honest. Methods are the shizz. I still need to learn how to do one. Maybe this year!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 pm 

Quote:
BTW, my knowledge comes from being a skateboarder, never did that in hard boots…

It wouldn't surprise me if you had though....

OK, sorry, stop picking Barrows. He means well. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 pm 

BGnight wrote:
I never thought indy grabs looked or felt that steezy. Mute grabs feel and look way better imo. Tail grabs are sorta in between....not really into grabs at all to be honest. Methods are the shizz. I still need to learn how to do one. Maybe this year!

Uh oh bg you just let your gaperedness slip out.

Doing a mute grab strait air is almost as bad as doing a tindy grab.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next