Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: are they crazy $$$
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 pm 

Since, apparently we feed trolls on this forum, here you go. . .
* Splitboard Swap
* "Splitboard binding" on Cragslist in SLC
* "Splitboard binding" on eBay.com 11th from the top is a $140 Spark LT w/Burton components.

Once you pull the stick out of your ass, don't forget to make a donation to the cause. :thumpsup:

*edit: Fixed the link to the donation page for SB dot com*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:28 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
Best troll on here in years!

Jesus, 19 comments in and he's pissed off everybody who usually has things to say.

Well played sir. Well played.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 am 

It's ok. Not everybody will understand what it takes to produce high quality innovative products for such a small market. You can get Voile cheap, that's nice for you. But to be honest, I'd rather pay more for Spark stuff because they've been pushing the sport and bringing out new products for the last few years. Without them we'd still be riding crappy setups.

Like others, I started out designing and building my own bindings. I didn't have money for a pro setup. I've had lost of people ask me to produce a limited run of bindings, but it's just not doable. You can't do it for less than what Spark charges you, unless you're willing to bring a crappy product to the market. Trust me. You want them to be carbon fiber and titanium, my bindings are but they are impossible to mass produce because of that. Welding titanium is not cheap or easy. Laying up carbon fiber is handwork. Much more work than a plastic part.
Designing and building several prototypes and testing them for a season is not cheap. If it doesn't work you're back to the drawing board and have lost a year in R&D. It takes a lot to only release the perfect product, if you think you can do it cheaper have a go at it yourself. You'll be rich in no time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:34 pm 

I f'n love my new Afterburners. The tech is sick and they are moving this sport forward, made in America is unreal and I'll always support it. Pony up dude, you have to pay to play splitboarding ain't free! :nononno:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 pm 
well i just made some carbon highbacks plastic ones are 6 oz and carbon are 1.8 oz!
and have carbon slider trax too 2oz vs 6oz ...so that's gonna do me for the winter
lightened up my setup to under 10 lbs total ---> board hardware bindings! EVERYTHING under 10...

can anyone say that??? I think NO!

and no one's gonna convince me any setup is better the wally's (voile)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am 

We talking about stuff, right? Just stuff... People need to lighten up, i've been spliting used boards for the last ten years to save cash and ride various designs. I still have my Spark whatevers from six years ago with some mods to save cash. To tour in the back country safely you need alot of shit that costs $$$$. Unless you make your own gear (more power to you) or are a penny pinching dirt bag like me (willing to ride used and abused stuff) you will pay out the ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am 

starspliter wrote:
lightened up my setup to under 10 lbs total ---> board hardware bindings! EVERYTHING under 10...

can anyone say that??? I think NO!

Good for you. Doesnt mean you wont still get smoked in the skin track. How much time & materials have you spent making that setup? How durable is it? Im still riding one of my expensive, factory splits from 2006.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 pm 
your funny it ain't no race... i hike slow and freely admit it but I go!!!
and have been since 1985 that's backcountry snowboarding for 28 years
you have fun making too steep a skin trails and racing around that's NOT what it's about for me!

time 10hrs about a board and less the 200$ and i was wrong just weighed the complete board w bindings it is 8.8 lbs at 36 cm wide!

as far as durable I am easy on my gear. like I don't break masts bike or snowboards
and if this homemade stuff does fail well i tried DID you?----> in fact who on this forum has even tried to make a splitboard from scratch! or any of their own gear I have made my own snowboard surfboard windsurfer and
a whole closet of clothing!

and I am excited ONE person agreed w me finally! splitboard gear is spendy...like windsurfing stuff!
i guess it's an elite sport!

I never said don't buy their stuff I just commented on the prices...please get spark or any other if it's in your budget! it's not intention to make so many mad! ( although I did )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:46 pm 

So you have $200 and ten hours of time into making your own splitboard. How much would you sell it to me for? What kind of package deal can I get with your carbon bindings? Can you make me some skins too? I can get a prosumer deal off of DeptOfTheGoods on BD skins from last year and my dad scaled the base of his wood skis in the German alps when he was a kid with a butter knife so I expect skins to cost $20.

Sorry, I'm an asshole when I'm stuck at my desk at work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm 

starspliter wrote:
your funny it ain't no race... i hike slow and freely admit it but I go!!!
and have been since 1985 that's backcountry snowboarding for 28 years
you have fun making too steep a skin trails and racing around that's NOT what it's about for me!

time 10hrs about a board and less the 200$ and i was wrong just weighed the complete board w bindings it is 8.8 lbs at 36 cm wide!

as far as durable I am easy on my gear. like I don't break masts bike or snowboards
and if this homemade stuff does fail well i tried DID you?----> in fact who on this forum has even tried to make a splitboard from scratch! or any of their own gear I have made my own snowboard surfboard windsurfer and
a whole closet of clothing!

and I am excited ONE person agreed w me finally! splitboard gear is spendy...like windsurfing stuff!
i guess it's an elite sport!

I never said don't buy their stuff I just commented on the prices...please get spark or any other if it's in your budget! it's not intention to make so many mad! ( although I did )

You did more than comment on the prices. You asked if they were crazy and called it a rip-off. To say things are expensive is fine, but when you say it's a rip-off you are impugning their motives. To say they're crazy is taking that a step further and that won't win you any friends here or anywhere (at least no anywhere I want to be). You might not be able to afford what they're charging but that doesn't mean they are doing anything nefarious. By the way have you considered what you make an hour? You say it takes you $200 and 10 hours to build a snowboard. If a guy makes $40 an hour (pulled the number out of my ass) than you're talking about a board that's $600. If you add in overhead (rent, heat, taxes, etc) then you're talking about $800 (pulled the $200 out of my ass too, but overhead costs something). At this point owner has not been paid, debt has not been paid, and investors have not been paid. Laying things out in this manner it's easy to see that there is not much of a margin in this line of business. Also it's such a niche market that you can't make the low margin up in volume. The guys operating the companies you're talking about are taking one for the team in my opinion. The Karakorum brother are mechanical engineers. They could easily clear $100,000 a year working for someone else, collecting retirement and benefits on top of that. As it is I'll bet they're making less than $80,000 without any benefit and having to provide for their own retirement.
Like I said earlier, if you'd like to lament the prices of gear please do. You will find many people on here who agree with you. Do not, however, blame the very people who are providing a product (otherwise unavailable)for the cost of doing business.

BTW:
Your English sucks! This is probably why you make $7 and hour and can't afford anything
Your DIY shit looks homemade! $200 + 10hs labor, I wouldn't pay $200 total for the garbage you're putting out.
"are we CEO's that make 100k a year ? " What king of idiot are you? CEOs (no apostrophe) make 1,000,000/yr+, except for the sorry bastards who took it upon their own shoulders to bring the sport to where we're at.
"if this homemade stuff does fail well i tried DID you?" spend some time on the binding and DIY forums (your ignorance is showing)
" I have made my own snowboard surfboard windsurfer and a whole closet of clothing!" Try making your own website. Everyone will be happier.

When people talk shit about you it hurts, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 pm 

Windsurfer?? That explains the anger :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 am 

peacefrog wrote:
" I have made my own snowboard surfboard windsurfer and a whole closet of clothing!" Try making your own website. Everyone will be happier.

:lol:

@starspliter (what's a spliter anyway?)
Seriously though, there are lots of people here who build their own stuff. Including some who know a thing or two about carbon fibre. It's no big deal, I've seen much better quality than yours on this forum so you're not the messiah of splitboarding yet.
You might want to tone it down a notch, you're making a bit of a fool of yourself.

We're all out there having fun in the mountains, I don't really care if you've build your own stuff for $5, or paid $1000 for it. It's all the same to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am 

This guys the best thing since David Gotteroff...

:disco:

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots