Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pumori (7,161m), Himalayas, Nepal, September 2013
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 am 

Hi all,

Winter is on its way and I´ve just got back from Nepal after a ski expedition. I always share the more interesting trips on here and I hope this proves of some interest for some of you.

http://paulholding.com/2013/10/05/west- ... mber-2013/

Cheers Paul

Post subject: Re: Pumori (7,161m), Himalayas, Nepal, September 2013
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:49 pm 

Thanks for that Paul.
Really enjoyed the read, seeing the Himalaya makes every thing else seem so small.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:58 pm 

To each their own, but in my opinion the Himalayas are for trekking as opposed to skiing/riding. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. Your TRs seem to back up this opinion too. Thanks for sharing (your hell) with us, it was a good read.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thank you for this thoughtful and very well written trip report. I had mixed feelings when reading the TR. Initially, I was bummed to read of all of your challenges......with no happy ending in sight. However, I quickly came to appreciate your honest assessment of your challenges as well as your final decision. I think most of us have experienced smaller versions of your trip, and it takes quite a bit of courage to make the decision that you made. It takes even more courage to put your thoughts into a TR. Nicely done.

Perhaps it my own advancing age but the risk to reward/fun ratio has become very important to me as well. I love to read reports and stories of the grand adventures of folks that live on the leading edge, and I admire what folks like Seb, as well as many "ordinary" folks (like the very interesting and talented folks that populate this website) are doing, but in the end the simple joys of setting a nice skin track followed by a sweet powder run in a beautiful location is reward enough for me. Good luck with your future adventures...and keep those great photos coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

I hope the article doesn´t come off as too negative. It was never my intention at least. I just thought it´s important to portray real life in a real way and give a true insight into these sorts of trips for those who have not been on them and for those who dream of doing them inspired by heroic books they´ve read. In my experience, there is a big gulf between reality and the books´version of reality. I was hoping to bridge that misleading gulf with a dose of honesty. My own little axe to grind :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm 

Cool trip report. I'm with ya on the risk/reward. I'm 41 now, and the older I get the less my ego cares about claiming certain lines. Snow conditions matter more. Himalayas sound like a huge, expensive shit show. There's a reason God built Alaska. He's probably up there looking at yourself and 100's of other ski mountaineers with his face in his palm wondering why the 1000's of world class lines he/she created in perfect snow in AK are being neglected for $40,000 trips to deal with shit snow and unbreathable altitude :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hilarious, BGnight! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 pm 

Great to read!

Too bad you couldn't enjoy it more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

There is wisdom in your words BGnight!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:53 pm 

D-GREEN wrote:
To each their own, but in my opinion the Himalayas are for trekking as opposed to skiing/riding. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. Your TRs seem to back up this opinion too. Thanks for sharing (your hell) with us, it was a good read.

What sort of effect does riding have on a landscape that guided/siege mountaineering doesn't do as well? surely youre aware of the vast expanses of human refuse that litter everest and other peaks in asia?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:37 pm 

Sorry nordicbordin, my intention was not to say that skiing/riding has a negative effect on a landscape. I'm just not into "goal oriented" traveling. That's just me though, I'd rather go where the wind blows and smell the flowers along the way (I'm not filming for sponsors either though).
As BGnight pointed out, you're more likely going to "deal with shit snow and unbreathable altitude" in the Himalayas than POW, so why not leave your board at home and just go hiking? With that being said, I hope I don't eat my own words leaving my home state of Alaska in search of new horizons in Antarctica!
:drool: :drool: :drool:

My apologies for the short rant, and once again it was a sweet read sufferfest. Carry on and keep the TRs coming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:57 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Cool trip report. I'm with ya on the risk/reward. I'm 41 now, and the older I get the less my ego cares about claiming certain lines. Snow conditions matter more. Himalayas sound like a huge, expensive shit show. There's a reason God built Alaska. He's probably up there looking at yourself and 100's of other ski mountaineers with his face in his palm wondering why the 1000's of world class lines he/she created in perfect snow in AK are being neglected for $40,000 trips to deal with shit snow and unbreathable altitude :lol:

My sentiments exactly (as I crest 40). The older I get, the more my snowboarding distils into core values - the serenity of mountains in winter, time with friends and surfing wild, deep pow. When I buy plane tickets for splitboarding, that plane is always aimed at Alaska.

But I appreciate the report; great images of a spectacular place. Thanks for sharing.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 am 

Great read Paul. Thank you.

As a person who loves adventure, the thought of going to remote places to ride has a strong appeal. However, the more I've talked with various friends who have done some of these kinds of trips the more I realize that it's really rare to actual get good conditions and it's often a sufferfest and the weather can shut you down most of the time. Not that that's always bad, but we tend to idealize things in our heads. Make me appreciate my yearly pilgrimage to Silverton that much more.