Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks for the props!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 am 

We are currently recommending viosport.com - not the cheapest, but the best packages, customer service, and lots of FAQ's and How To's on their site. There are other places that sell the cams cheaper - and for the most part all the cams people are selling are the same. "TV Lines" of resolution is the main factor involved - more = better picture.

The cams we are filming with are not viosport - it's hardware from helmetcamera.com. The newer cams will have a better image. Keep in mind that I do lots of post processing on the footage. First we crank it through a motion stabilizer - that's what makes it smooth! Next, we have to crop and zoom with some manual motion tracking in a video editor, which is where we lose some resolution.

We'll be strapping the Sony HC1 highh-def cam on the helmet soon! It's going to totally change helmet cam'n!

Yeah, you get used to carrying the extra weight. We climbed mount shasta this summer and I hauled that shit all the way up there - then we didn't film!

Yeah, the camera was facing backwards. Keep in mind that I've been practicing hcam'n for about 5 years - It's a bit of trick. You learn to ride as a "filmer" - keep your head still, track your subject, etc. It's fun when the footage turns out!

Yeah, I think those big lines in the distance are out in the Marbles...

Hey Shasta - family in town this weekend - might head up to Castle Sat aft or Sun morning. That "little dusting" we got Thurs dumped like 10+ inches of fluff on the mtn.

We're enjoying the HC1 right now. It's a trick working with the HDV video format - getting the hang of it, basically 2 or 3 extra high processing steps are now part of our editing workflow. Need to get a faster box! I have not had too many issues with the turn on and shoot timeframes. In general though I'm not whipping the camera last second.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

-chad