Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: splitboard skins help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm 

I'm in the market for skins for my first splitboard (Prior AMF 162 tip/tail 302mm waist 255). I was considering Gecko skins but if seems like barely any sites carry them and some sites that currently do will no longer be. Not sure why I've been trying to get a hold of Gecko customer service and that is not a easy task it's damn near impossible. Due to all this I'm considering G3 high traction skins wondering what you guys think of both if these skins and if Gecko skins are worth it even with the lack of customer service.

This is the only place I found gecko skins 140 by 170 it says 170mm I think that is suppose to be 170cm and I figure I would have to cut then to size.
http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Ge ... 233673.htm

G3 high traction split board skins
Medium 159-173cm 140mm

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/sk ... bing-skins

Also wondering which would have better traction and last longer trying to make the best decision here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: splitboard skins help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 am 

I used the G3HT skins all last year. They give great grip, but the glue seems to lose its stick at low temps. Other than that they work really well and allow skinning up 30 plus degree slopes with no ski crampons. They are big, plushy and thick and weigh a lot.

I just bought geckos and haven't used them yet but they are about half the size and weight of other skins. They supposedly glide really well, which means they will grip less. (All mohair skins glide more and grip less) I imagine they will require me to actually learn some skinning technique.

Also, some say the geckos will start leaving bits of their glue side on your base after a few tours.

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 am 

Appreciate the info seems like the G3s got there down sides too. I've heard that about the Gecko skins to but considering that there is no adhesive I would think it wouldn't be that big of a issue removing anything from the base that night be left behind. I wondering how long does it take before they leave residue on the base. I rather have something with good glide I bought crampons just in case so if grap is a issue I'm throw them on.

I'll look into other brands see what they offer. Perhaps Voile or Kohla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:34 am 

LPowhuntr wrote:
I rather have something with good glide I bought crampons just in case so if grap is a issue I'm throw them on

...until the day comes when it's looks so powdery at the trailhead and you don't bother taking them and you hit an icy ridgeline you want to traverse, it only needs to be a few metres...

I guess what I'm trying to say is... get in that situation and tell me you like glide over grip...

I honestly don't think choosing a skin that glides better is going to make you tour that much faster or easier. In my case I would get much more benefit by spending more time on the stair master getting fitter!!!

I only have experience with the voilés and they are grippy enough for me. I'm thinking of trying the g3 high traction skins to replace them when the time comes.

Personal preference I suppose.

Jefe009 wrote:
I used the G3HT skins all last year. They give great grip, but the glue seems to lose its stick at low temps.

Any problems with the skins separating when touring (particularly with a couple of transitions) at low temps i.e snow buildup underneath?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 am 

Any issues that you can think of with the Voiles? Seem to be a popular choice that is why I'm asking.

As for glide over grip I appreciate the advice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 am 

Don't know what is going on with Gecko, but one of the owners passed away in an avalanche accident last year so I would suspect your customer service issues might partially be a result of this.

As far as glide vs grip, it depends on where you tour most, and what kind of terrain you usually ride. Skins with good glide, are typically much lighter and packable. I have some mohair skins on my AT setup and love them. I can cover a lot more ground much more easily and with less fatigue. But I also don't ski in gnarly steep terrain much because I kinda suck at skiing.

Grip is awesome to have, I have some burly ascensions that I have used for years. They are more durable, and grippier of course. However, they are heavy and hard to pack down. For yo-yo laps, when I prefer to stick the skins in my jacket, they make me look like a fat chick. It sure is nice to set a steep ass skin track on these things though.

I don't have much experience with the G3 skins except on some old tele skis I had and they were sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 am 

Gecko has been having serious problems with their adhesive. We've been through three sets now and are waiting on warranty replacements. They are light (though heavier than G3 Alpinist), the grip is actually as good or better than Voile tractor/BD Ascension and considerably better than the G3 Alpinist skins, and they go glide well (like the G3s, and better than the Voiles). I own them all.

You just can't go wrong with the Voiles. Reliable workhorse.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 am 

Method wrote:
Any problems with the skins separating when touring (particularly with a couple of transitions) at low temps i.e snow buildup underneath?

Exactly that. And once they are 'froze out' it's really hard to get the stick back. Basically need to leave them in your jacket for a while to bring the temp back up.

I agree that the Voiles/BDs are probably the best 'all around'/workhorse skins. They are not the best at any one thing, but very reliable and have not failed me ever. Burly glue tho, that is a huge pain to pull apart!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 am 

philip.ak wrote:
Gecko has been having serious problems with their adhesive. We've been through three sets now and are waiting on warranty replacements. They are light (though heavier than G3 Alpinist), the grip is actually as good or better than Voile tractor/BD Ascension and considerably better than the G3 Alpinist skins, and they go glide well (like the G3s, and better than the Voiles). I own them all.

You just can't go wrong with the Voiles. Reliable workhorse.

I've worn out one pair of Geckos the last 2 seasons and had great luck with them. Only minimal adhesive sticking to the board. They wear out quick though. Near the tips where snow builds up underneath the adhesive has worn off. Tailclips are a must if using Geckos. I'm looking to get another pair. Hopefully I get a good batch again cuz I never had the problems philip had. I had the all black top and bottom ones fwiw. They are absolutely awesome for days where you're doing laps. You can pull them apart with your pinky fingers. Grip is not as good as black diamond imo but all the skins are really close. Glide is good but glide doesn't mean shit and should have no say in what you choose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am 

I love my new Voile's with Spark Clips! Way more than my G3's. Grip > Glide :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:09 pm 

I had the same issues as philip.ak with my Geckos. They warranted them and a few months later I had the same problem.
Philip, who should I contact about warranties these days?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm 

Wow Guys thank you so much for all the info really saved my butt here on possibly making a bad decision. Will definitely be going with Voile or BD Ascension.

I just have a few quick questions and then I'll start looking for a sweet deal on em.

You guys mentioned that Voile with Sparks clips is the way to go just wondering how difficult is that change from the stock voile setup to Sparks. I see rivets on the voile setup I can be wrong. Also how simple is the sparks install?

Anyone happen to know the weight of Voile skins I know that BD are 708g?

As for BD Ascension I see they come a Lil wider and longer then voile how much important should that be in my decision process? Lastly how is the setup on BD Ascension meaning clips would I need to also upgrade to sparks clips?

Thank you again for all the info greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm 

Also I heard from a retailer that Gecko will no longer be supplying to the US not sure how much truth there is to that but figured I'd pass on the info.