Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite pants
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:36 am 

After about 5 seasons Im thinking about a new set of Britches Bitches.

Whats your favorite pants for skinning and riding?

I do like full zippered sides due to the big temp changes during the day here in the sierra

Thats about all I know I need. Oh, and nothing heavy. I would rather do a thicker base than heavy insulation

Post subject: Re: Favorite pants
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 pm 

I got a pair of Flylow Chemical pants in trade for my very first conversion bindings a few years ago. They are the best pants I have ever owned. 9" inner vent zips and 18" outer vent zips. Articulated and cordura knees are awesome for bushwhacking. These pants are freakin tough!!! Non insulated for awesome layering. I even wore them over the fall riding my motorcycle over the hill where temp swings are pretty crazy (70's down to 20's in the matter of an hour). My pants are pretty much still new with over 3 winter seasons and 2 seasons on my bike. Brooks got a pair around the same time I did and still uses them. Can't go wrong with those!

http://www.flylowgear.com/chemical-13.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:53 pm 

Plus last years model is on sale
http://www.flylowgear.com/chemical-pant-12.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:34 pm 

I've gotta second flylow, but I prefer the more freeride fit of the stash pants. 2 seasons and I use em for everything. Only issue I had was both pocket suppers failed, but I sent them back and the repaired them for no cost aside from the 8 bucks it cost to ship. They have huge outside zips plus inner zips, they are super light weight and work as well in 80 deg summer touring as 32 deg pnw concrete days on the sled. Love them!

They have a 10k waterproof rating but worked far better in the wet stuff than any other 10k pant I have used. I have had them out in the rain several times and never gotten wet. I wash em in nixwax probably 2x a season to keep em clean. The current year stuff is bumped up to 20k with a better coating.

I actually have a brand new set in green from last season, never used size L for 125 if you are interested :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:07 pm 

My pant of choice are

Arc'teryx Stinger Bib

These half zip waterproof ones I've found excel over the full zip older pants I used.
I used to have Mountain Designs bibs but the full zip feature had velcro closure over zip and was a pain in the butt.

Always been a fan of the bib pants

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm 

Picked up a pair of TREW "The Trewth" bibs off the clymb for $200 bucks this fall. Haven't gotten any snow time on them but dancing around in my room I have plenty of room to move and the full zip vents dump heat quick. Plus they have snaps (not Velcro) at the end of the zippers that go up and down the leg so I don't think there is going to be an issue with the pants falling in half basically. Did I mention that my mom thinks I look really good in them?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm 

+1 for the patagucci super alpine bibs, they're probably more oriented towards mountaineering / alpine climbing but these thing are bomber.

TEX wrote:
I do like full zippered sides due to the big temp changes during the day here in the sierra

I immediately thought of this photo when you mentioned the zips.

Mine are last seasons, a year and a bit old and they're bomber. With this seasons model they seem to have improved them one step as on mine the side zips didn't 'separate' so you could take them on/off without removing your boots, but I think now they've remedied that.

They're a little more snug than my old pants around my boots. With other pants (inevitably baggier) I had the cuffs pulled over the top of the highback rather than under as I found they'd get less friction wear this way and I can't do that with these bibs, but nothing to worry about.

If you're a technical freak, they have those high wear instep patches to protect against crampon nicks and fit well with a harness.

They're much more lightweight than other snowboard pants I've had, which is great for touring.

The downside is they're $$$, I got mine on sale but I guess you'd have to wait until spring now to get them on sale.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm 

I usually get something cheaper like REI brand, mostly because my last couple sets I've poked my crampons thru and it upsets me to ruin my expensive gear because my legs are short. lol.

I've been pretty happy w/ the REI too btw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm 

^^^Voile strap around the cuff when using crampons solves that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:57 pm 

Tex, are you looking at bibs or belts?

Personally I keep going back to the burton AK bibs. Every few years I buy pants that aren't a bib, but that only lasts a season before I'm back to hanging my pants off my shoulders instead of my ass.

The AK pants have great venting, a simple mesh liner, no insulation, plus I like the way they look.

AK bibs FTW!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

fustercluck wrote:
^^^Voile strap around the cuff when using crampons solves that problem.

Nice, good thinking bud. I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

I am a believer in Patagonia all the way. Anything from their Simple guide pants for super warm (mostly not splitboarding) to the super alpine bibs (personally I have not tried the Super Alpines but, my mom has a pair, ((YES, MY MOTHER)) and they have lasted her at least 3 years. My favorites so Far have been the Mixed Guide Pants (softshell in some places, hard shell in the high-wear areas) and the primos (3-layer Goretex shred armor)

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 am 

aK by Burton are great too. A lot of venting. Goretex for good breathability too. I know some are a lil better than others like the 2L vs the 3L