Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Dynafit TLT 6 Wow again!

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 6 Wow again!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:26 pm 

french fries are stiff like you have a stick up your az
curley fries you KOOOOKS!!!
fukin hard booters.....
can you start a separate thread about fried potatoes please?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 pm 

The tots were so sweet... and they were served up by a beautiful blonde woman.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

barrows wrote:
Brooks: sounds like a great set up, heck, maybe someday Fitwell will get the bulk and weight down on their boots, and Karakoram will produce some carbon fiber binding straps which will not break, and even I'll try a soft boot set up again... oh wait, the touring would still suck, oh well...
Anyway, get those Intuitions molded up right, and your Fitwells will probably rock!

haha sorry to carry on the hijack Barrows..... as far as weight goes the Fitwell is pretty tidy really (1270g for a USM9) and they are not bulky, so out of the box they seem to stack up on those 2 points against the TLT6 ??? If you want to drop the weight by close to 100g bang some Intuitions in them but I am still running the standard liners I found the Intuitions too stiff for me (mainly my ability) just my preference. I have never splitboarded in hard boots so I can't comment to much in comparison but I can say I am very happy with my setup. I think if Fitwell were to try and drop more weight it would compromise the boots other strengths as a very good all round mountaineering boot - anyone seen the pics of Zach Clanton ice climbing in his he's a nutter!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:21 pm 

Richie: thing is, in soft boots you also have the entire weight of the binding on your foot in tour mode. With hard boots and a Dynafit toe piece, the only thing you are lifting up with each step is the boot itself, so much lighter in tour mode on the foot.

Also, the TLT6 with the CL liner is about 1065 gms, so the Fitwell is 200 gms more per boot, almost a half pound.

http://www.dynafit.com/de/product/skisc ... ountain-cl

Stupidly, Dynafit does not provide the CL liner in the US versions, I am going to have to purchase one from Europe.

So, quite big weight savings over the Fitwell. Then the Phantom bindings are quite a bit lighter than say, a Karakoram as well. I think it is great that there is a quality soft boot like this, but I do think if they switched to a more modern construction they could reduce the weight a lot. For example, take a look at the weights of contemporary mountaineering boots like the Spantik.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm 

barrows wrote:
Richie: thing is, in soft boots you also have the entire weight of the binding on your foot in tour mode. With hard boots and a Dynafit toe piece, the only thing you are lifting up with each step is the boot itself, so much lighter in tour mode on the foot.

Also, the TLT6 with the CL liner is about 1065 gms, so the Fitwell is 200 gms more per boot, almost a half pound.

http://www.dynafit.com/de/product/skisc ... ountain-cl

Stupidly, Dynafit does not provide the CL liner in the US versions, I am going to have to purchase one from Europe.

So, quite big weight savings over the Fitwell. Then the Phantom bindings are quite a bit lighter than say, a Karakoram as well. I think it is great that there is a quality soft boot like this, but I do think if they switched to a more modern construction they could reduce the weight a lot. For example, take a look at the weights of contemporary mountaineering boots like the Spantik.

Yeah I think we are looking for different things too, totally get you on the weight underfoot in touring mode. Here in NZ we are constantly scrambling around and through bluffs and rocky sections, crampons on, on and off the snow/ice/rock often moraine bashing, sort of place the Fitwell is in its element. It just works in this environment. There are hard booters here and we've seen one dude "Irish Brendan" lately who is absolutely missioning on his TLT5's showing us all how its done in style too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 am 

"Yeah I think we are looking for different things too, totally get you on the weight underfoot in touring mode. Here in NZ we are constantly scrambling around and through bluffs and rocky sections, crampons on, on and off the snow/ice/rock often moraine bashing, sort of place the Fitwell is in its element. It just works in this environment. There are hard booters here and we've seen one dude "Irish Brendan" lately who is absolutely missioning on his TLT5's showing us all how its done in style too!"

I do not think not is too different here. We have a thin snowpack in Colorado, and lots of exposed rocks in above tree line areas. What I am looking for is the lightest setup, which climbs/scrambles great on snow, rock, and ice. Which has really efficient touring, and which has absolutely perfect riding performance. The TLT5/6 requires some modifications to get the riding perfromance dialed, once it is dialed, it meets all of my requirements.
Still, like I said, I have nothing against the Fitwell, I think it is great that such a boot exists. Does it allow for rearward flex when touring on the flats? I know that Spark and Karakoram have recently allowed for some negative lean of the highback. I guess some people never have the need to tour flat approches, but if you do, having a set up which allows for one to open up their stride really increases efficiency, and it seems silly to not have this feature in soft boots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 am 

As a soft-booter i can attest to the fact that touring in them sucks. I wear them for the down hill and because i look bad-ass (yes bad hyphen ass :lol: ). Yet if i was all by my self just skiing along on the flats i would probably want to be in tlt's, I cross-country ski so I can see the advantages in touring with these.
One day when my son graduates from kinder garden i will have a wade burning a hole in my account and will convert. But then i can't stand in the looker line at the local hill and look like a x-games hunk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 am 

barrows wrote:
Does it allow for rearward flex when touring on the flats? I know that Spark and Karakoram have recently allowed for some negative lean of the highback. I guess some people never have the need to tour flat approches, but if you do, having a set up which allows for one to open up their stride really increases efficiency, and it seems silly to not have this feature in soft boots.

I've never needed a longer stride touring flats no matter what set up I've been using. I really never understood the whole emphasis on this as if it was some big hindrance in splitboarding. Yes, you can notice a difference in highbacks that go back further than old ones but there's absolutely no reason softboots need some sort of anti-forward lean. That's something hardbooters made up. And fitwells don't have much forward lean at all. In my karakorams I literally cannot stride farther than my binding/boots allow. I could do lunges if I wanted! (I do have a shorter stride than most)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am 

BGnight wrote:
barrows wrote:
Does it allow for rearward flex when touring on the flats? I know that Spark and Karakoram have recently allowed for some negative lean of the highback. I guess some people never have the need to tour flat approches, but if you do, having a set up which allows for one to open up their stride really increases efficiency, and it seems silly to not have this feature in soft boots.

I've never needed a longer stride touring flats no matter what set up I've been using. I really never understood the whole emphasis on this as if it was some big hindrance in splitboarding. Yes, you can notice a difference in highbacks that go back further than old ones but there's absolutely no reason softboots need some sort of anti-forward lean. That's something hardbooters made up. And fitwells don't have much forward lean at all. In my karakorams I literally cannot stride farther than my binding/boots allow. I could do lunges if I wanted! (I do have a shorter stride than most)

yeah....
that's not really true at all.
some day click into dynafits and tlt 5's or whatever.
you'll see. its a night and day difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
BGnight wrote:
barrows wrote:

yeah....
that's not really true at all.
some day click into dynafits and tlt 5's or whatever.
you'll see. its a night and day difference.

Yeah, actually it is true. At least for me. I've never said a dynagay TlT5x4Gs set up doesn't tour better. I'm saying I don't need a longer stride or better touring. It's not important to me (not saying there aren't improvements that can't be made in touring brackets and a few other things). How I go down the hill is. But hey, barrows set up "meets all his requirements". I just have a higher standard of requirements in different areas than he does. Hardbooters care about going up and not embarrassing themselves in front of their ski idols more than they care about the ride down. As long as they can claim it they're happy :wink:
Who's more likely to own a altimeter to keep track of their vert. A soft or hardbooter??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm 

Seems like each year there is some new guy wasting time and space bashing hard boots in every single topic. I am pretty sure last season it was somebody else.

Anyway, today I found the TLT6s in a shop in London. Strange, because this same shop (Ellis Brigham at Covent Garden) didn't have the 5s last season, due to almost non-existent demand for touring setups in the UK, as the manager explained back then. They had the One though.
Anyway, this year they have TLT6 Mountain. It goes for £500 ($810, while the Vulcan - the highest end Dynafit boot goes for £750!)! Aesthetically it looks slicker and better than the 5 IMHO.
I really didn't notice the lack of Actiflex to be noticeable on the carpet walk in one boot, that I did. This was a big concern for me, as I thought that it made a difference in the 5.

A vast improvement in my opinion - the middle buckle is adjustable! For the entire last season it seemed to me that this was a big drawback, because in my case I am somewhere in between the available settings.

The liner looks pretty much the same as the European liner in the 5, maybe slightly lighter.

As I mentioned I only did a brief carpet walk in one boot, but it seems more or less the same as the 5 and I can actually notice that it is roomier. But I was with thin summer socks, while 95% of the time i had the 5s on my feet it was with ski socks.

In recap - I believe that stocking on leftover TLT5s is unnecessary. On the other hand, if you find 5 on the cheap you shouldn't have concerns picking it over the 6.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:24 pm 

Hahaha, Brooks, wrong again! You are entirely wrong. You cannot possibly "know" what you think you do about what I care about.
Let me set you straight:

I would NEVER sacrifice riding (snowboarding downhill) performance for ANYTHING, PERIOD!

I would not ride a hard boot system if the system did nor equal, or actually better, the best soft boot systems available. Right now, between modded TLT5s and Phantom Bindings, I have the best snowboarding performance I have ever had from a split board.
Before the Phantom Bindings, downhill riding performance was about equal to riding with Sparks, but with Phantoms, the ride performance is better than anything else out there, this is because Phantoms have a superior board interface. anyone who has closely examined the Phantom interface can easily see how much better it is at holding the split halves together, and keeping them in plane-similar to how Karakoram does it, but even better.

My priority is not how much vert I get, my priority is strictly governed by the quality of the experience I have riding down. I am looking for quality downhill snowboarding, and this is my entire reason for splitboarding in the first place.