Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: hard boot AIRS WITH STYLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 am 

Not sure If we have already done this thread but I'd like to see some action from all you hard booters out there.

PLEASE post pics of you getting stylish on hard boots. Whether that be in the air, or slashing surfer banks, jibbing, whatever, I just want to see your style in hardboots.

I AM NOT A HATER- I understand the benefits and conveniences that a hard boot provides that is why I am asking to see your best stylish move.

Ironically the best hardboot style pic I've seen you can't even see the boots. (cliff method on Phantom FB page)
I fear that I would need to dremel the hell out of hardboots to have the tweakability that makes me feel so free.

please prove me wrong and not with classic Damien images or the like, Im talking current shots. preferable with at least a hint of boot visible.
:rock:

Post subject: Re: hard boot AIRS WITH STYLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 am 

Have you checked out the Joey Vosburgh videos? Classic style for days...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 am 

I'll try to help some. Not airing shit out too often, but there is no shortage of style when it comes to my hardboot friends (I'll be one as well this year).

Phantom's own Keffler slashing Buffalo Mtn
Buffalo Mtn 3-30-13 by MountainDog, on Flickr

Buffalo Mtn 3-30-13 by MountainDog, on Flickr

Barrows at Silverton Splitfest showing plenty of flex
IMG_7514 by MountainDog, on Flickr

HikeForTurns likes to style his turns
Jones Pass by MountainDog, on Flickr

Monarch Pass 3/2/13 by MountainDog, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 am 

If you want to tweak airs, you'll have to tweak(cut/grind) the hard boots, that's a given.
At 52yrs I couldn't care less about tweakin airs but have no probs slashin windlips, pullin 3s or landing switch
in plastic shelled boots. the local park rats call me Butters, but usually a lone wolf so very little action shots of my riding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:17 am 

photo (9) by travis young 424, on Flickr

I will be demoing a pair of Phantoms this season and have a pair of TLT5s that i will be modifying. Stoked!! I can’t wait to bust a few airs out of the pipe, just to do a true freestyle test with them. If i can replicate this shot with the Phantoms, i think that will prove the freestyle worthiness of HB's at least to myself. Ill post later this season in this thread. As a long time freerider that is heavly freestyle influnced, its very important to me to maintain that surfy, skate feeling i want in a binding and boot. It looks to me like Keffler has the Phantoms design down pat and with the right TLT5 mods, I should be happier than ever with this set up. Bring on the snow!!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 am 

This is what I like to see in a hardboot

It just looks so natural (on a chick) ha ha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm 

nice shots and travis that is what im talking about! but with hard boots, I too would like to try some tlt action, but I tried on the TLT 6 and its a long way from a side method in flex and feel in my mind.

KEEP EM COMING!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm 

I can do proper methods in very lightly modified BD Primes, I'm sure they'll be a lot better with TLT5s. Barrows has beat the drum so much that I finally gave in and picked up a pair of used TLT5s over the weekend and will start modding them now that it's snowing up here in the PNW. I'll report back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

:lol: pics or it didn't happen. lots of people say they can shred the same with hard boots..... let the pictures do the talking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:20 pm 

Your kinda missing the point. Ask BGnight to post pics of stinky grabs on his Sportivas or Deeluxes and your not going to get much if anything at all because "stiff softs" which is an oxy moron are not going to perform like a regular soft boot. Which is why my Deeluxes sit on the shelf and will never be used again and I'm currently using 7 year old vans kick me downs for soft boots and looking to purchase some Dynafit TLT's as soon as I get the bones to replace my worn out MLT's. The reason you move to this set-up is because you want to break trail and set the boot for guys like BG while feeling confident on gnarly shit. Not everyday is a pow day and if you want to go purely backcountry and retire your resort riding days your going to have to accept this fact. For all around performance, bang for you buck, quality of life reasons TLT's are just the way to go but it's not going to improve jib factor.
Dust on crust
Light is right, if you wanna go long and be strong.
Here's one final pic of Keffler, Phantom binding creator. Can't wait to get on these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:47 pm 

cometogether wrote:
:lol: pics or it didn't happen. lots of people say they can shred the same with hard boots..... let the pictures do the talking.

I'm not saying that my methods are the same in hard boots and soft boots but they are still real methods. They're so good that my girlfriend didn't even break up with me when I made the switch.

I'd have more pictures but my photographer can't keep up in the skin track.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 am 

Your only as good as your cameraman. :D

Im not hating fellas, I don't like crampons on my soft boots at all, let alone for long rock hard coulys. I've walked in AT boots, I've toured with HB riders, I get it.

What Im looking for is CONSISTENT tension on the downhill. Since I do tour in soft boots (burton ions) using a K setup. I slip my boots on and snug them, basically no tension for the ascent. When I get to my destination I have to tie my boots and getting the tension and flex right is a PITA, hence AT boots with 2 or 3 buckles. Not only in this faster, its easier, and I can do it with gloves on. And I will have exact tension that is consistent everytime, and when I'm done with that lap, 2-3 buckles in walk mode and go, no laces no tooling around just very simple.

That for me is a huge reason for looking into this. and crampon fitment. Colorado has one or two good summer lines. :nononno:
BUT for me a lot of snowboarding is riding the air and doing grabs.
so please keep posting your pics- this is cool!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am 

Quote:
I fear that I would need to Dremel the hell out of hardboots to have the tweakability that makes me feel so free.

I ride a stock Scarpa F1 boots with a ELIMINATOR TONGUE SHIMS, without modifying the boot. See http://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tounges-pair/ I get a consistent forward lean for riding. I mostly wear these boots snug (almost loose). However, I can quickly change the tension of the boot (particularly the boot cuff) with the buckles and powerstrap. The F1 allows me a lot of adjustment in setting the forward and lateral lean, by tightening, or loosing the power strap.

Quote:
I slip my boots on and snug them, basically no tension for the ascent.

The same is true for TLT5, and F1s where a lever (or buckle) releases the tension for tour mode.

It might be worth your while to try the tounge shim ($30) and carpet test or rent a pair of TLT5s.

Bomber Sidewinders might help in teawkability, altough they are heavy compared to other options. Bomber is in Silverthorne, Colorado.

Alas, no steezy airs = no pics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next