Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new boots - Dynafit One
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 am 

regarding tlt5 vs One, the One has a wider fit in the forefoot. that would probably be more relevant to you if you were having issues around the metatarsals, rather than higher in the foot.
but with the One made from pebax, and with a thicker liner, it would be easier to get effective boot fitting to solve most issues with fit. i expect the One could be made to fit almost any foot out there. The potential for getting a drastic fitting solution on the tlt5 is much less.
doesnt sound to me that your pressure point would require too big an intervention, so if you accept you'll need some boot fitting done, your choice is still the light and relatively spartan tlt5 or the slightly heavier and more comfortable One.

Besides that, after riding the Ones on my split (Phantom Binders) i cut the cuffs a bit more than what i previously showed for my back foot, and i cut both boots same same. any further softening will require more significant mods, as i think i've cut as much as i can without compromising the top buckle. i'm really liking the ride, and am gonna let the boots break in a bit more before making any big decisions about working some more flex out of em. i'll take another set of photos just now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 am 

I am almost there on the purchase..
Updated photos??
How did they ride out of the box with no mods?

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm 

i have a good season in on these now, i have still been using my tlt5s a bit, for big daze, but honestly i prefer the Ones...
the Ones provide more support, and more flexibility, than the tlts5s, at a bit of a price in weight.
thats kind of counter intuitive, as support is like resistance to flexibility, but i think they're a bigger boot with softer flex, so they flex fine to a point and thats it. in comparison the tlt's feel pretty noodly to me for the most part, but when i try tweaking past the noodle zone there's a hard stop which dont let me tweak no mo'. i can grab n bone airs way better with the Ones than the TLTs. Melon and stalefish grabs got easy again, not soft boot easy but plenty good for me.
here's some more fotos to compare the TLTs to the Ones
frontal
medial
lateral
butt shot

yogisnow, out of the box they're pretty burley, the lack of fwd flex prevents shock absorption thru the knees. if you're thinking of using them un modded, like so you can ski with em too?? i wouldn't!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 am 

where are the photos of the airs with grabs?

Im trying to see some style in hardboots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 am 

Hey CT: Note that karkis above mentions doing stalefish grabs while riding with the One hard boot. If you do this grab, you probably know it takes a good deal of flexibility to get it at all. Take a look at the Phantom Bindings FaceBook page, there should be a photo there of karkis doing a nice stylish method, also of Alister (Chimera) riding a rail in TLT5s.
I am too mature to be doing super tweaked airs these days, but I have no problem with standard methods, or frontside straight air grabs. Phantom bindings help as well, as they get the boot sole right down to the board.
Note, I would compare the flex of my boots (modded TLT5) to be about equal to a Driver X or Malamute in a good stiff binding (like a Burto C-14 or whatever their present carbon based binding is). In fact, I sold my last pair of Driver Xs cause I felt they were a little too stiff for me, and have been prefering riding the TLT5s even on those rare lift days.
But, if a rider is looking for a super tweaky set up for roadside kicker sessions, with a flex equal to a really weak riding soft boot, then there would be no reason to use a hard boot. Of course, these days with the pro halfpipe emphasis on high speeds and huge spins rather than tweaks, those guys are riding much stiffer setups.
I come from a skating background, and having a flowing riding style is really important to me, especially in powder. I also like to ride big lines, and ride fast when the snow conditions allow, which requires some support from the boots. Honestly, with experimentation and modification, one can get just about any degree of flex one wants from a hard boot set up, but it can take some effort. As karkis mentions above, for his riding he prefers the One, and even finds the TLT5 to ride a little too soft-I suspect he gets a little better support out of the One, and a little more progressive resistance when flexing the boot deeply.
I think those who equate "hard boot" with ski boot (as in alpine downhill boot) are just not really familiar with the new generation of lightweight AT boots, these things are nothing like alpine ski boots in terms of flex and weight. I would compare them this way: Alpine ski boot is to lightweight AT boot, as modern soft boot is to Sorel. The difference is that big.
Of course, if you wanna No Board, pick up a pair of Sorels...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 pm 

What did you use to cut down the shells? Dremel or something else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 pm 

i cut em with a utility knife. faster than grinding it out with a dremel tool, just gotta be really deliberate with where you want the blade to go. and safety third n shit.
i got some new liners for the Ones, intuition rd classics, syked, then i put the one liners, which were kinda packed out but not too beat, into the tlt5s, where they now feel snug. hoping the higher one liner in the tlt5 gives a bit more support and progressive flex, and that the intuitions in the ones makes em like new, maybe a bit softer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:00 am 

I'm new here, but have been a lurker for a while. I just got a pair of One:s, and have started modding them according to this thread. Thank you karkis for all the detailed pictures and information, it has been very helpful!

I have a pair of phantoms (first version, off ebay) hopefully coming next week, I look forward to try the HB route.

Right now I have just done the forward lean mod, and I took off the heel dynafit metal thing, since I won't be using it (turning into a weight weenie already, whoops). I decided to wait until after riding it with cutting the cuff. I'm also thinking about removing the toe buckle. At least on the carpet, I barely snug it up, and if I do it up proper, it squeezes my forefoot to bits.

karkis: It looks like your tlt5 is also cut down in the cuff, is that correct? Did you end up cutting the Ones more or less the same as the tlts?

When it comes to fit, I have a very wide and flat foot, and these boots are definitely on the narrow side. For a comparison, my Scarpa T2 tele boots in 26 are a really tight fit in the forefoot area (6th toe and all that), and the One in 27 is a little bit roomier, but the 26 would have been right on the verge for a touring boot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 am 

marran wrote:
karkis: It looks like your tlt5 is also cut down in the cuff, is that correct? Did you end up cutting the Ones more or less the same as the tots?

i was gonna say that the Ones start out much taller in the cuff and i hack em down pretty dramatically but they still ended up taller than the TLTs, which started lower in the cuff and i trimmed more subtly, then i pulled out the ruler and measured that I've cut both boots cuffs to a height of 24-25 cm (off the ground) on the medial side. I cut the lateral side of the ones to 26-27 cm height and i left that side of the TLTs as it came stock. So yah i have made them more or less the same.

marran wrote:
I'm also thinking about removing the toe buckle. At least on the carpet, I barely snug it up, and if I do it up proper, it squeezes my forefoot to bits.....
When it comes to fit, I have a very wide and flat foot, and these boots are definitely on the narrow side. For a comparison, my Scarpa T2 tele boots in 26 are a really tight fit in the forefoot area (6th toe and all that), and the One in 27 is a little bit roomier, but the 26 would have been right on the verge for a touring boot.

1 get your shells punched out
2 get a good insole to match your foot to the volume of the boot
3 if you have the coin to spare get some good thermoformable liners
then think about chopping the buckle... unless you really are a weight weenie already!
the shells are gonna last you a long time, just replace the liners every 2-3 years when they pack out, and it will be pretty affordable in the long run

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 am 

Thanks for the info, hopefully I will get my phantoms before the weekend so I can start chopping the cuffs.

Quote:
1 get your shells punched out
2 get a good insole to match your foot to the volume of the boot
3 if you have the coin to spare get some good thermoformable liners
then think about chopping the buckle... unless you really are a weight weenie already!
the shells are gonna last you a long time, just replace the liners every 2-3 years when they pack out, and it will be pretty affordable in the long run

1: Really hard to do where I am, northern Sweden is very scarce on boot fitters. As they are right now, I am comfy when the toe buckle is just barely snug, and cramped if i do it up hard. Fwiw, I do the same on the T2s, and they are professionally fitted. On the other hand, they are tricky to punch due to the bellows.

2: Insole: check, I have used custom insole for years in the softboots as well.

3: Stock liners seem to mould ok, don't they? I did the rice bag method like Intuition suggests, with extra padding on my 6th toe, and it definitely made a big difference. Maybe I should try with the Scarpa/intuition liners from my T2s just for fun.

The buckle is riveted in place, but I assume that I could come up with some way to reattach it with a screw if I decide I want it back. Anyway, I won't remove it until I have a solid number of days on snow, so make sure I don't do anything stupid :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 am 

I got my Phantom v1 yesterday and mounted them up. From just clicking in on the carpet flex feels quite good, I thought it would be way stiffer both medial and lateral. Test on snow will be this weekend. I spent best part of last night bolting on an old set of Vertical Ft toe pieces with ski screws, 24h epoxy and everything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:26 am 

aw yah sounds like your on it...
regarding bootfitting, if ya got no one with some expertise you might look round the interwebs, its not rocket science, if you're careful and have access to a heat gun, even a hot blow dryer might work, i think Don said he moulded his tlt5s with boiling water altho the grilamid gets pretty pliable with not too much heat where the pebax might take a bit more....
or just chop that buckle and forget about it!!
yah liners, i guess i did use the stock liners for a year and a half but I'm glad to move on....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 am 

Thanks for the input karkis.

I got to try them out a bit this weekend. Without chopped cuffs it was definitely robostyle, but that power on toe edge...
And touring was just on another level compared to burners w. softies. I chopped the cuffs a little on saturday night, just down to where the recess is, maybe 5mm or so.

Unfortunately I ended up in an avy (remote triggered above us, everyone made it but real scary shit) and got the boards torn off my feet before I had a chance to ride, but I'm still alive so can't complain.

It was right in treeline and I am so happy the dynafits just released so quickly, otherwise a lot of bad things could have happened. Now I need new board cleats for my phantom v1 and a new board before this project can proceed, I hope to be able to get out there soon and start the long way back to regain my confidence and learn from my mistakes.

Be safe out there