Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nitro Snowboards have a splitboard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 pm 

I would not discount furberg until you have ridden one, they are surprisingly versatile for backcountry conditions. I only wish Daniel would move production out of Asia, and to the US or start his own manufacturing in Norway.
I recently saw one of this year's furberg splits (173) which one of my partners just received, the build quality actually looks pretty good, and the board is definitely more solid in terms of the core than my first year DIY split.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm 

Taylor wrote:
The "board that needs to built" is a split board version of this:

Furburg created a new category, but they're in many ways limited. This would push that envelope.

Well <ahem>, here's one. 164cm, 11m radius, rocker-flat-rocker, and my secret weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 pm 

Singlewhitecaveman, do you have any idea if that Chimera will become available to the buying public? That would be welcome addition to the quiver---and an interesting change of pace from my Unicorn Chaser.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:46 pm 

JimmyC wrote:
Singlewhitecaveman, do you have any idea if that Chimera will become available to the buying public? That would be welcome addition to the quiver---and an interesting change of pace from my Unicorn Chaser.

We're going to work on the width some more, and maybe have it for a late-season release. This has been in the works for several years now. If we get it to where we feel ready we'll introduce it into our demo program for this year.

Sorry, I don't mean to de-rail this thread. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm 

barrows wrote:
I would not discount furberg until you have ridden one, they are surprisingly versatile for backcountry conditions. I only wish Daniel would move production out of Asia, and to the US or start his own manufacturing in Norway.
I recently saw one of this year's furberg splits (173) which one of my partners just received, the build quality actually looks pretty good, and the board is definitely more solid in terms of the core than my first year DIY split.

I've checked out the furburg in person, but not ridden it. The construction was good, but not on par with the design. It's size is right at the lower margin of where physics fail me. Dum Dum is still a ways off size wise. Wish either of those decks were made in the neighborhood of 180. Still, I'd love to see DPS engineering and construction put to a split board -- or see a split board company match them. I may pick up a 173 furburg this season nonentheless.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

Taylor: agree on the sizing, for what you are looking for you would want a bigger furberg, probably 185 even. The furbergs ride a little short, I find the 173 to be easily as maneuverable as my 166 Storm, maybe more so. The quality on the first year boards, like the one I have, is a little weak. But the 13/14 split I just saw was really much, much better. Clearly Daniel has worked hard with his builder, and improved the core (denser wood) the base, which is now a very nice graphite loaded sintered base, and the precision of the split construction, which has a very tight seam and precise matching between halves.
Please suspend judgement on the furberg construction until you see some of this seasons boards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 pm 

You kooks and your long boards. No one needs longer than a 164-67 for an everyday board. Anything longer than that in anything other than 3 feet of fluff and you're regressing.

WHAT IS THAT CHIMERA? And I want more specs. Taper?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 am 

I'm confused - do I need a 164 or a 167? Won't 167 be too long for riding trees?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:29 am 

hahah Brooks you are funny. Need is different than want. I think what Taylor likes is well established here, he is a big guy, and likes to mach fully powered up medium and long radius arcs. For that riding style he prefers long boards, and I can understand that.
I guess nobody needs a board at all.
I have been on boards too short for me, most recently last season where I was testing out a 160 Chimera Dum Dum ('cause that was the only size available for test). I had a pretty bad fall where on the lower apron of a 1000' chute I lined up a big heelside at high speed (for a photo), loaded up the front board, only to immediately submerge it and come to a violent and abrupt halt. At first I did not understand what went wrong, then one of my riding partners pointed out that my board was too small.... that was an ah ha moment, duh... I needed more surface area in the nose of the board to power it the way I wanted. Now I know I cannot go below ~165 or so.
With furberg, I recommend anyone to err on the side of going a little longer than usual, as with their rocker profile and medium flex they are very maneuverable for their size.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:52 am 

BGnight wrote:
You kooks and your long boards. No one needs longer than a 164-67 for an everyday board. Anything longer than that in anything other than 3 feet of fluff and you're regressing.

WHAT IS THAT CHIMERA? And I want more specs. Taper?

No taper, we’ve left that to the Unicorn Chaser and Sceptre. The concept is for a super-stable, fast, pow board that rides switch, and is (relatively) impossible to sink. We’ve relied on surface area and a big nose and tail rocker for float. We kept it flat between the feet to keep the edge manageable on flats, icy traverses, etc. I love this board, but I hope to get them in people’s hands soon to get some other opinions. We’re going to announce a formal demo program once we’ve ironed out some kinks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
JimmyC wrote:

We're going to work on the width some more, and maybe have it for a late-season release. This has been in the works for several years now. If we get it to where we feel ready we'll introduce it into our demo program for this year.

Sorry, I don't mean to de-rail this thread. :roll:

That's the Dum Dum, correct? What changes are you making to the width? Tiny bit less I hope. I demoed the dumdum at Silverton Splitfest, it was a fun ride. A tiny bit too wide for me though. Similar characteristics to the furberg, great float.

my first ever board was a Nitro, camber and about 10 cm too short.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 pm 

I've been on this for our season

Great board, I didn't think id like it, but making a 174 for japan!

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 am 

Looks like I won't need to go custom for my new split this winter. My Solution is great when it's deep, but I don't trust the rockered nose when it's on the firmer side. Just not a fan of the way it rides in those conditions.

It's going to be tough to find one to check out in person here on the east coast.