Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading Board Khyber, Storm, Solution or Prospector?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 am 

I've been riding an older Voile Split Decision ~166. Looking to upgrade my stick. I just am not really happy with the ride on this board. I find it a bit clunky.

About me:
6'2"
170lb probably ~190 w/ gear on
Snowboarding ~5 years, typically get ~40 resort days a year
I've had ~10 days on my old Voile in the backcountry
Spark bindings
100% Colorado Snow conditions
Resort Board: K2 Turbo Dream or an older cambered Burton Custom for Icy/Groomer days
Riding Style: I don't spend much/any time in the park so I'm not looking for a freestyle board. Love wide open bowls, or tree runs. I'm not charging super hard and bagging steep couloirs or chutes.

What I'm looking for:
-All-mountain board with Powder tendencies
-Light Weight - a factor for long slogs
-Rocker, or Rocker Camber tech

Why I'm interested in these boards:
Prior Khyber for the Rocker tip, powder orientation shape/taper and deep sidecut

Prospector-Have ridden NS Heritage and LOVED the ride. Honestly, I'm not sure why I got my K2 Turbo Dream after riding the Heritage. Appreciate that NS is local, great build quality and I enjoyed the feel of the Heritage.

Venture Storm: Build quality, rocker profile

Jones Solution: Profile, still skeptical of build quality, but sounds like that shouldn't be a concern since they switched manufacturer.

I've scoured the forums reading as much as I can, I'm still on the fence with these boards. It seems like it is a situation where you can't go wrong. What would you recommend? Would you recommend any other boards that are similar to these types?

Post subject: Re: Upgrading Board Khyber, Storm, Solution or Prospector?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 pm 

Hey Boof,

Cant really go wrong on that selection. Being from CO I would suggest shopping locally. But I am biased. NS will probably be the most durable, with perhaps a slight weight advantage over Venture. I have a Storm 166, and plan on getting the Prospector 167x this season. The NS rocker profile is a bit more playful than the flat camber on the Storm. But the Storm has been my go to board for the deep. We will see if the Prospector takes over in that role. Id imagine the NS will have a slight edge when it comes to manueverability, with the edge going to Venture for skinning performance. You can find a Storm for pretty cheap by now, so if price is a factor.....

Haven't ridden the other sticks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 pm 

NS and Venture should be pretty easy for you to demo locally prior to pulling the trigger...

I just bought my 2nd Venture. Love those boards. Lots of info on here about how they ride.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 pm 

I own a Storm 166 x 26, it has been a great board. I am your size and weight. I find the Storm in this size has been a good versatile board for me, and it is super durable and solid. The Storm is now my rock split.
I have recently picked up a Prospector 167X. Even though this board really is bigger, with more surface area, than the Storm, it is about 10 ounces lighter. Only time will tell if the Prospector will be as durable as the Ventures surely are, but NS has a very good reputation for durability. I probably will not know how the Prospector rides until mid season, but I am very hopeful that it will be a quiver of one for me. The Prospector's run a little big, if you are looking for super maneuverability you might consider the 161X, I opted for the stable size personally.
It feels pretty nice to be able to choose a made in Colorado board these days… I really like that these companies build boards here.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm 

A.B.C. = Always Buy Colorado! :thumpsup:

I vote for Venture; great boards and a great company. But NS is a solid board too. Either one would do you fine.