Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doggie (elderly) advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:08 pm 

Just looking for any advice the community has to offer, thanks!

Our loved Sierra has lived a great 13 years but sadly it's coming to a close for her. I've just been sorta waiting for it the last year or so and over the last couple months she's really started to decline. She's lost a lot of weight and is really skinny, frail and weak. We tried a bunch of different stuff but really she doesn't want to eat much or seem to have an appetite. Her teeth seem ok. She still wags her tail when she sees us and she doesn't appear to be in pain...she just seems so frail. It's a really hard decision to make, to put her down or let her pass here on her own...not knowing if she's suffering in the meantime.

Looking ahead, I'm also curious for thoughts on burying her ourself on our land vs using the vet's services.

Here's a pic of her 11 years ago. Love you Sierra.

Post subject: Re: Doggie (elderly) advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

Really sorry to hear about your puppy. I lost my best friend Oliver this summer and it was very tough, he was 15 and had a very good life. This was the first time in my life where the decision was mine to make, and it wasn't easy. Dogs seem to know when their time has come, sometimes much more the we people do. Ollie had been having health issues and losing weight for a few months, but was still a happy dog. His issues would come for a few days or a week and then subside for a little while. He had very pale gums so I took him to my Vet, (who was a friend) and we ran some tests and she said it was age and maybe some organ failure. After he had been having a few rough days, one Saturday night he hopped down from my bed and I woke up around 4am and found him. I cant give you any advice on when, but he is your best friend and you will know. If he is suffering and in pain you will know too.

I didn't do a burial, but he is still with me on my mantle hanging out with my late brother.

Cheers brother, hope you stay well.

Pedro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 am 

With no doubt, a very hard family choice to make. We had a similar situation years back when I grew up with our Golden. It was easier for us to make though because our dog was in pain. Watch for signs of pain, uneasy breathing or basically anything that says he is no longer loving life.

We had our dog cremated and just tossed him in his favorite spots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 am 

Without a doubt this is one of the toughest decisions we will ever have to make, if Sierra is suffering and there is no quality of life, then it's time. Two of my best friends are sitting on the fire place mantel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 pm 

If there is no visible pain, let her pass on her own. My dog knew when it was his time. Was playing around until his last few hours. He ended up wanting to be in the back of the same car that he we brought him home in.

He is buried on my land. The vet wanted money. Fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm 

Tough one, I dealt with this a couple years ago. Nieva wasn't doing too well, the vet gave her some meds that worked wonders for a few weeks, then she regressed. Took her to another vet for a second opinion (I was kinda in denial), vet said she probably had a week or two, figured I'd spend a bit more time with her, but she went on her own that night. I think dogs know when their time is up, but it's super hard for us to deal with.
On a related note, a few weeks ago I came across a doggy memorial on the Rim Trail a couple miles out of Tahoe City (heading towards Brockway). Cool spot with a view of the lake, a growing collection of dog tags and names painted on rocks, probably gonna leave Nieva's tags next time I pass it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:01 pm 

it is a sad time but you have both shared the good times, she wont be getting any better because of her age and it sounds like she is not out and about doing doggie things..a hard call..it sounds like she may be suffering and putting your dog to sleep may be the best thing you can do for her ...dogs will wag their tails right up to their last...think of it as a gift for all those loyal days she gave you...or prolong the inevitable and vets visits will increase and cost and you do not really extend her enjoyment of life...i love dogs and have lost two in the last few years, one we prolonged the inevitable (and it was hard to see tus decline) and the other a decision was made for the better..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 pm 

Just look in her eyes. The answer will come to you after all the time you've spent together. You'll know in your heart when the time is right. Each life is unique on this earth. These relationships are special. Unfortunately, there's nothing easy about the decision in front of you, and no blueprint to follow. I'm sure this hits home with heaps of us here, having gone through it before. When we take the responsibility for our four legged friends, this is part of the deal. As with our human brethren, we want it to last forever. Alas, appreciate each moment for what it's worth. It's where the gold is.

Ironic that my family just began this journey anew. Dang, puppies are alot of work.......and alot of joy.

Also nice to see our first snowfall of the season today.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:34 am 

Im a big dog lover and Im feeling your Pain Chris.They are part of our families. They raise our kids, keep us sane and make us laugh. They are family.
I wouldnt do anything unless thier is a know underlying disease. Yes, they get old and do less than they used too but I think its best to let nature take its course. If its a terminal illness then yes, its best to euthanize but just age? No. not for me.
Yes, its a hard decision to make but one only you can make for yourself and your family.
Im about to be on that path too. Man it hurts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm 

Really sorry to here the sad news. I too have a beautiful chow mix named Sierra so your story is getting me all choked up. anyhow, I have heard of people achieving tremendous results with medical cannabis in an edible form for their K9's. God bless whatever your decide will be the right thing.