Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior AMF or Jones Solution?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 pm 

Hi everyone at splitboard.com. Really glad that there is a dedicated forum to the sport! I've been demoing a few splitboards as of late and am purchasing my first split this winter. I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice or information on the following boards (there is so little information to be found, and weight ratios are almost never mentioned). I am hesitating between the Jones Solution, the Carbon Solution and Prior AMF (partly based on hardware reviews ,my trying out the AMF last winter in Hakuba and of course price!). Anyone know what the boards weigh? It's quite a factor to consider on ascents and multiple day trips. (I currently reside in the Vaud mountains of Switzerland). I am considering paring these decks with Karakoram bindings. Also, I am 169cm, and an aggressive rider, weigh 72kg and usually ride a 159cm in the backcountry on a regular deck. The Carbon solution jumps from 158cm to 164cm....The solution from 158cm to 161cm....any chance your readers or staff have tried both lengths and noticed a "sizable" difference?...Just a shot in the dark perhaps....thanks for your time and wish you all a great winter! cheers,

Post subject: Re: Prior AMF or Jones Solution?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:57 am 

Welcome! :bananas:

first off, I think the two boards you mention are quite different in terms of riding. The Solution is a directional board and the AMF is a twin board... what kind of board are you exactly looking for?

I've tried the Jones in 164 and 161 and there's for sure a difference. For my weight if the powder was deep I had problems with the 161, while the 164 felt a bit big under my feet when skinning and doing the kickturn. I found the 164 super stable though.

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 am 

Hey Victor,

Thanks for the reply..I have a twin for in bounds/ close access backcountry...so I think I'm leaning toward the directional for the split.
As for my weight, I'm roughly 158 pounds. I might just have to wait for the season to kick off and demo a few different lengths. Thanks for the input though!

Cheers,

Chamois04

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

I agree with Victor: for comparison, you should be considering the Prior Backcountry Split instead of the AMF, the Backcountry Split is much more comparable to the Solution. Note that in the Prior you can get the full carbon construction, which will save weight over the partial carbon construction which Jones offers. As far as as quality goes, from what I have seen of the Jones boards, the Priors are a little better (I have owned both a Prior Backcountry and Spearhead split boards).
Otherwise, in the same size, the Solution tends to be a little stiffer than Backcountry, but you can ask Prior to stiffen up the Backcountry if you want them to.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:26 pm 

What Barrows said about the Solution and Backcountry, can be said for the AMF vis a vis Jones' Mountain Twin.

Decide if you're going to landing jumps switch or not.
Switch yes -> AMF/Twin
Switch no -> Backcountry/Solution

Jones = Stiffer, less expensive, of unknown quality construction (the factory has changed, nobody knows yet)
Prior = Flexible, more expensive, higher quality (maybe even custom) construction

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:07 am 

chamois04 wrote:
Also, I am 169cm, and an aggressive rider, weigh 72kg and usually ride a 159cm in the backcountry on a regular deck. The Carbon solution jumps from 158cm to 164cm....The solution from 158cm to 161cm....any chance your readers or staff have tried both lengths and noticed a "sizable" difference?...

I strongly advice you to demo a Carbon Solution (or Carbon Flagship) before your buy. I rode a 161, and it was almost too much for me. I'm not a very powerfull rider and am about your weight. But I normally ride pretty stiff 164 boards in the backcountry, but the Carbon Jones is much stiffer and takes more input to turn. I would advice this board for fast riders in mixed conditions, it's not playfull at all. It wants to go fast and straight. If you only ride perfect powder you don't really need this board either.

Just saying, it's a great board, but 164 may be too long because it's so stiff in the middle and tail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm 

I have owned and ridden both a Solution (164) and AMFs (162 & 165 custom W/slimmed waist to 25.2) splitboards (here in Alaska). The AMF is an exceptional freeride board when set-up tapered (back 2-3 cm) and is in a lot of ways more versatile and lively than a Solution. The AMF's combination of side cut and rocker work together to provide you with a board that is looser in transition, more maneuverable and at the same time able to lock into shorter radius turns with a more aggressive side-cut without Magne-Traction. For me the Solution doesn't really come to life until you really get it up to speed on aggressive terrain. The Solution is a more forgiving board that likes to charge the fall line. Given the choice between the two board unless you are always charging aggressive terrain I would opt for the AMF. I can attest to Prior's build quality as the AMFs I own have had zero problems unfortunately I can't say the same for The Solution. So many good boards to choose from it is hard to go wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:26 am 

Thanks for all the input!...really appreciate your time put in for your responses.