Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which half on which foot?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 am 

This might be a silly question with no real answer. but here it is anyway.

which half do you put on your left foot and which on the right foot? I have been doing it that the left half on left foot and right half on right foot. But i have seen people switch it the other way.

Assuming that your board has a clean inside edge, by that I mean those clips swing out of the way that make some rigidity for downhill mode, there should not be a difference. Is there?

Due to the curvature of the board (side cut), it seems like you would need a wider stance with the right board on left foot and left board on right foot. Maybe these folks are bow legged from the big balls they got.

Post subject: Re: which half on which foot?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am 

It is generally accepted wisdom to switch skis for skinning to guarantee your hooks wont catch. YMMV
genepires wrote:
Due to the curvature of the board (side cut), it seems like you would need a wider stance

Due to the hardware on the inside of the board (hooks et al) you still need the wider stance to keep from catching as your legs pass each other. . . even with swinging the hooks. Some hooks are fixed so the only way to skin is by switching the skis (left foot-right half, right foot-left half).

. . . but mostly it's the size of our balls. Ahmjussayin'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm 

I keep em switched 99% of the time. However, I've started split skiing more on run outs, and I've noticed my skis work a lot better if I switch them back to right/right left/left. Like Hans sez... YMMV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 am 

As my boards haven't got Karakoram clips but Voile, I don't switch board halves, mainly for this reason:
FloImSchnee wrote:
Straight edges in the inside, to have maximum hold when it's most crucial: during kickturns/switchbacks on steep ascents.

5 pages to read about this topic with different views: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14297&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm 

I have a 2013 K2 Panoramic with Burton Cartel (non-specific splitboard bindings) and always skin with them opposite. Mainly for the reason of the hooks catching and more so the binding ratchets hitting as I glide past one another. Just my experience though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

I switch them mostly because I'm used to how they traverse differently between the sidecut and the straight edge.

I ski out on mine sometimes too but I prefer the sidecut on the inside for that too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:28 pm 

I'm glad this came up...I made a rookie mistake this June and thought I could hike in and left my skins behind in the IPW. yeah...dumb. Going up was "alright", but took alot of leg strenth. Skiing out? worst day of my life haha. I should have reverse my boards, but i didn't think of it. Man did i fall alot since skiing isn't my strength. Ended up just boot "packing" ie postholing the last mile because I couldn't take falling anymore. I've got an older S with fixed clips so I just never thought of riding that way.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 pm 

I split ski with the outside edge on the inside. Since I'm a bad skier most of my turning comes on the downhill ski so it seems to make the most sense to have the parabolic edge on the inside since that will be your downhill ski