Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm 

Performance uses a much stiffer carbon fiber cuff, I think it pretty obvious that the stiffer cuff is not going to result in the best snowboarding performance. As to the Dyna, I have not heard of anyone trying it, also a CF cuff though, which I would want to avoid.
If you are thinking about the published weight differences between the Mountain/Performance, do not be fooled. The shells of both these boots weight the same, the weight difference is entirely in the liners. The Mountain is sold in the US with the (kind of crappy) TF-X liner, which includes a rubber sole, and lace loops, and weighs a lot more than the (much nicer) TF liner.
IME, neither of these liners is as good as an Intuition, which is also lighter than both.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

barrows wrote:
neither of these liners is as good as an Intuition, which is also lighter than both.

How much lighter? Are you talking a few grams here?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

more on the order of a couple ounces, if I remember correctly. An Intuition will also be a little warmer than stock TF-X style liner, and will take a up more room in the shell (if needed). Certainly no need to upgrade the stock liner, unless you experience problems, I would not do it for weight savings alone, but the OE TF-X liner rubbed my achilles the wrong way (where the flex cut out is) when skinning on flats, so an Intuition was the solution for me.
Supposedly the liner on the TLT6 is going to be better, I'll see...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:20 pm 

Just the sort of help I was looking for barrows, thanks a million for posting up.
I'll probably end up with the TLT6 Mountains and I'll let you all know how I mod them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm 

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/08/dynafit-tlt6-for-fall-of-2013.html

Dane's review of the TLT6 doesn't sound so positive for splitboarding. :(

Here's another one from Wildsnow:
http://www.wildsnow.com/10766/dynafit-tlt-6-p-first-retail-look/

I wonder if it would be worth the time to try to convince Dynafit to recycle the TLT5 molds to make a split specific boot with a slightly softer plastic in the cuff and a forward lean bar that allows some forward flex? I bet I know the answer but it's mud season and that's the time to daydream.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm 

"Dane's review of the TLT6 doesn't sound so positive for splitboarding."

Jason: I am not sure why you would draw that conclusion? Do you currently split in TLT5s?

In my opinion, the 6s are going to be better. The only drawback I see is the additional 1 ounce of weight in the shell of the 6 vs the 5, but this extra weight goes directly to improving the buckles, and making the boot a little warmer. Personally, I would rather have the extra ounce of weight and the additional warmth and better buckles, both of which were weak points of the 5 which needed improving. There is no need for the forefoot flex of the 5 in my opinion, in fact, the amount of flex was so miniscule (unlike the Scarpa) as to be almost non-existant anyway. As far as the liners go, all the Dynafit liners are weak, and I use Intuition for more comfort, warmth, and weight savings. The Dynafit Mountain was also never available in the US with the lighter (and better) Palau made TF liners, you could only get the heavy and less moldable TF-X liners with the rubber sole (only the carbon cuff "perfromance" model TLT5 was supplies with the lighter more moldable liners).
As for riding performance: the 6 Mountain should be the same as the 5, as the cuff is the same plastic and mold, so will flex the same, and the no tongue option is still available.
I still wish Dynafit would just sell the liners separately from the boots, allowing one to choose the liner they prefer without a cost penalty...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm 
Sorry if i missed it somewhere in this thread, its gotten rather lengthy but is there any option for a ski crampon if using this boot and the dynafit toe piece setup?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 am 

zakmills92 wrote:
Sorry if i missed it somewhere in this thread, its gotten rather lengthy but is there any option for a ski crampon if using this boot and the dynafit toe piece setup?

Yes, both B & D and Dynafit make wide ski crampons which will work with splitboards set up with the Dynafit toe pieces. At least on boards up to about 26.2 waist. B & D might even make wider ones if one asked them. I have ridden with Keffler as he tested the Dynafit wide crampons on his Venture Storm with a 26 cm waist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 am 

barrows wrote:
"Dane's review of the TLT6 doesn't sound so positive for splitboarding."

Jason: I am not sure why you would draw that conclusion? Do you currently split in TLT5s?

Nope, the 5 doesn't fit my foot and I couldn't find a bootfitter confident in being able to change that at the time I was buying boots. That's why I've been watching the 6 eagerly.

Dane implied that the 6 has been changed in ways that improves the skiing at the cost of less feel for climbing/ski mountaineering. That doesn't sound like the direction that I want a split mountaineering boot to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am 

"Dane implied that the 6 has been changed in ways that improves the skiing at the cost of less feel for climbing/ski mountaineering. That doesn't sound like the direction that I want a split mountaineering boot to go."

Huh? Please re-read my response above as to the actual differences between the boots. As for riding performance, there will be no difference between the TLT5 and TLT6, this is because the 6 (mountain, only a fool would choose the carbon cuff version for snowboarding) uses the same cuff as the TLT5, so the flex parameters will be the same. Dane does not snowboard. I see only upside with the 6, the Mountain version is not stiffer boot than the 5, it is the same. Climbing feel on delicate mixed routes has nothing to do with riding feel-he appears to be discussing the difference with the removal of the sole flex on the 6, this will not compromise the riding performance at all, in fact, it may improve the toe to heel reponse, and will definitely make the boot more secure in the binding (sole flex increases the possibility of unwanted binding release). Now if your concerns regard the liners, I am not going to consider that, as I prefer Intuitions in any case, and have yet to see what liner is really delivered ont he TLT6 in the US...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:07 am 

Dane's other comments on the TLT6 that I've read elsewhere on the web seem more positive. Hopefully they fit my foot better and one of my local bootfitters will feel confident in punching out the side of the arch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am 

HiI Guys!
Nice thing about a decent blog, it back tracks the links people leave on the 'net.

Since I was mentioned thought I would clarify some of what is written here on the TLT Series of boots. Some of the info isn't correct. Some just flatly misleading. Part of that I'll take responsibility for. I also thought it worth logging on and correcting.

I am definatly not a snow boarder. But i do have a clue on the TLT boots. If you like boarding in a ski boot/hard boot by all means have at it with the TLT Series. My long term climbing/skiing partner has been boarding since prior to Sorels. Same guy unknowingly convinced me fat skis really do make a difference by his example on the board. So we had a conversation about his own TLTs yesterday and the difference ride sytyles required on the boots available. Always fun for me to get an education. Part of which, if not his normal boots he prefers the Spantik. Not that I have a clue on any of this past how the boots fit, ski or climb.

My response below to what Barrows has written recently :

barrows sez:

>In my opinion, the 6s are going to be better. The only >drawback I see is the additional 1 ounce of weight in the shell >of the 6 vs the 5.

Actual shell weights with power strap attached
TLT6 P CR 1050g
TLT5 P TF 1010g
TLT5 Mtn TFX 1000g
50g is 1.7637oz per boot

>Personally, I would rather have the extra ounce of weight and the additional warmth and better buckles, both of which were weak points of the 5 which needed improving.

Buckles yes. Warmth?...not if the boot was used as intended and NOT for riding a lift. Classic case of using a piece of gear for something it was not designed for and bitching about it. It was originally designed as a Rando boot made for climbing and skinning UP and skiing DOWN.

>There is no need for the forefoot flex of the 5 in my opinion, in fact, the amount of flex was so miniscule (unlike the Scarpa) as to be almost non-existent anyway.

See my previous comments in link bottom of page. Uneducated at best.

>As far as the liners go, all the Dynafit liners are weak

Again uneducated at best and simply untrue no matter what liner you'd like to compare with.

>I use Intuition for more comfort, warmth, and weight savings.

You might gain some warmth although I don't find that to be true if the boot is fitted correctly. No more comfort either if the liner is heat formed correctly. And that weight savings? Ya, not so much.

TLT6 P CR 288g
TLT5 P TF 186g
TLT5 Mtn TFX 326g
DYNA EVO/PDG liner 150g
*Intuition Pro Tour* 278g

weight is listed for one boot liner

49g savings at most or 1.72842oz in my size 29s or a 11.5US with a Intuition. Or using the lwt Dynafit liners as much as 123g saved on the Intuition or 4.3387oz. And that is doubled counting both boots so just over 1/2#. That kind of weight starts to really count on the up.

> The Dynafit Mountain was also never available in the US with the lighter (and better) Palau made TF liners

>That is true but theTF liners alone have been available on occasion as is the Palau DyNA/PDG liner that will work in the TLT Series as well and only 150g.

>you could only get the heavy and less moldable TF-X liners

Ya, flatly untrue on "less moldable: The TFX liner is very moldable and actually more comfortable for most than the TF liner was. Which is the reason we have a new CR liner based on the TF-X liner in the new TLT6. Spares are available as well from your Dynafit dealer. See my comments on fit and liners in the link below.

>As for riding performance: the 6 Mountain should be the same as the 5, as the cuff is the same plastic and mold, so will flex the same, and the no tongue option is still available.

Almost right :) The TLT6 liner is beefed up in the tongue quite a bit. Think more of a full on ski boot tongue in the 6. My long time climbing partner and avid snowboarder for the past 30+ years (and in the TLT5 mtn as well for a hard boot which is not typically his fancy) says it won't change how the boot boards very much either way. But a lot more tongue in those liners and an Intituition than in either of the lwt Palau liners if shin comfort means anything to you.

Given the choice for a hard shell on a split board boot I'd want the PDG. 2# even per boot in my size 29. No tongue or power strap. It is too thin for most to ride a lift with on a really cold day. The PDG really is a "ski running boot". The TLT was designed specifcially for the same type of skiing.

Links to the blog are always appreciated, thanks!

For those interested, a more recent TLT5 and 6 comparison here:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/09 ... e-and.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am 

Thanks for chiming in Dane! Great to see your input into the conversation over here. Personally, I have always appreciated your opinion and insight from your ColdThistle blog. Cheers

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next