Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colorado Floods
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 pm 

You guys dry? I think there's a lot of Coloradans on this board. I know that there is a lot of property damage and infrastructure damage. Aside from everyone's safety, I would be worried about access to the mountains for this coming winter.

While it's sunny, 80 degrees here in Santa Monica, and I'm still in beach mode (there were waves the past few days), the calendar does say it's September 15. Probably still a few months from being on the skin track but Fall will be here next week. And as the Stark's (what's left of them) say in Game of Thrones, "Winter is Coming."

Good luck to those affected in Colorado.

Post subject: Re: Colorado Floods
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:12 am 

Thanks. Things are pretty bad in the Front Range. My house is fine, but all the roads which lead down the canyons to Boulder are out, and rebuilding is not going to happen very quickly. Tons of infrastructure damage, but most of the really major roads are going to be OK fairly soon. Many small communities in the foothills are gone or severely damaged… I think the majority of the problems are on the eastern slope, so snowboarding and access to the backcountry will not be highly affected.
Still raining today… hard to imagine it being this bad, especially at this time of year, which is typically our dry season.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am 

+++ Barrows, I know your area has taken a beating. So has my house unfortunately. I live right in the area of Aurora that just got hammered with rain. Over 17" since Tuesday. 4" in a three hour stretch. My basement has flooded so many times I don't care to think about it much.

So far it's held and we are on our own as homeowner's doesn't cover this. Guess I'll look into that government flood insurance. Even with what we have had, our area is low risk. Crazy rains.

Probably going to try to install French Drains this weekend as I am sure that basement will leak from now on with very little moisture. :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm 

My street in N. Boulder was completely underwater..but it diverted 50 feet away from my house. Alot of my friends and their families weren't so lucky.

BUT..we are still all the lucky ones. Minimal property damage and no loss of life. {{{{vibes}}}} to everybody up canyon and other places that are rebuilding.

That shit was real.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 pm 

Sorry about the trouble on the eastside! We were near Vail all week traveling from the NW and aside from some showers it was a really nice week. It might be the year for the folks on the west coast to enjoy the colorado mtns!
My guess is the Texans will still find a way to get up there!
The Wind River range had a pretty good dusting on Friday morning when we left Pinedale Wy.